German Riders
luca Offline

Threads: 8
RE: German Riders
Don't forget the fastest ever german rider: Rico Penzkofer (124.926 mph)!
09-01-2015, 08:04 PM
Find Reply
kilbil Offline

Threads: 13
(09-01-2015, 08:04 PM)luca Wrote: Don't forget the fastest ever german rider: Rico Penzkofer (124.926 mph)!

Yes I knew there was another recent top German one but I got sidetracked with Herve Ganther until I realized he was Swiss. 

Kilbil 
09-01-2015, 08:57 PM
Find Reply
Shooie Offline

Threads: 1
Remember watching and thoroughly enjoying the race where Helmut Dähne & Hans-Otto Butenuth raced their BMW against a 750 Triumph known as "Slippery Sam" ridden by (I think) Percy Tait and either Mick Grant or maybe Ray Pickrell (someone will put me right I guess) Again if memory serves me right they swapped riders every two laps.

Helmut D set a blazing pace and after two laps Hans-Otto took over..
Cannot remember the lap it happened but, as someone else mentioned earlier, Helmut and Hans had been slinging the big BMW around so much that they had ground a hole in the rockerbox cover and eventually ran out of oil.. Icon_eek
Slippery Sam went on to win but if the BMW hadn't packed in they would never have caught it.
I'm sure I have a pic or two of Helmut on a BMW... must look for it.
25-01-2015, 11:26 PM
Find Reply
Dougboy
Unregistered

(25-01-2015, 11:26 PM)Shooie Wrote: Remember watching and thoroughly enjoying the race where Helmut Dähne &  Hans-Otto Butenuth raced their BMW against a 750 Triumph known as "Slippery Sam" ridden by (I think) Percy Tait and either Mick Grant or maybe Ray Pickrell (someone will put me right I guess)  Again if memory serves me right they swapped riders every two laps.

Helmut D set a blazing pace and after two laps Hans-Otto took over..
Cannot remember the lap it happened but, as someone else mentioned earlier, Helmut and Hans had been slinging the big BMW around so much that they had ground a hole in the rockerbox cover and eventually ran out of oil..  Icon_eek
Slippery Sam went on to win but if the BMW hadn't packed in they would never have caught it.
I'm sure I have a pic or two of Helmut on a BMW... must look for it.

Probably the 1975 Proddie Race which was over 10 laps with 2 riders sharing the riding (Le Mans start as well I think).
Splashdown will probably confirm as I think he rode in this one paired with Guy Martin's dad.
26-01-2015, 04:33 PM
choke Offline

Threads: 7
There was also a German rider who crashed heavily at the bottom of Barregarow, about 3-4 years ago, was very badly injured, and had a long way of recovery ahead of him... Hope he is doing alright now,He was a promising rider, unfortunately i forgot his name...
31-01-2015, 07:21 PM
Find Reply
sticky Offline
Perennial Contributor

Threads: 39
Karsten Schmidt - I think his name already popped in the thread somewhere.
31-01-2015, 07:57 PM
Website Find Reply
Shooie Offline

Threads: 1
In the years I visited the main German guys were the sidecar guys.
Siegfried Schauzu & Wolfgang Kalauch. Georg Auerbacher & Hermann Hahn.. Siegfried Schauzu & H Schneider.. Klaus Enders & Wolfgang Kalauch... Heinz Luthringshauser & H Cusnik.. Heinz Luthringshauser & Hermann Hahn.. and the many variations of who partnered who..

From somewhere around 1974 Mac Hobson was starting to get to grips wit the TT course. Winning the 1000cc in 1976 and the 2nd leg in 1977. His potentially wonderful career was cut short in 1978 when he, with Kenny Birch on the chair, crashed at Bray Hill sadly taking the lives of both of them.
05-02-2015, 11:54 PM
Find Reply