TT 2015 date blunder
BlueFJR Offline
Just Getting Started

Threads: 1
TT 2015 date blunder
Anybody else make this mistake? Been going to the TT for well over 30 years and book last year for this years TT. Sitting the other night and for some reason looked at the dates on my ticket and found I had booked practise week instead of race week. AAHHH on to IoMSPC next day and managed to get my return sailing changed to the 12th, at least I will see some race days just means I will be there for two weeks instead of one Icon_lol will miss the Senior but hey I've done that before and survived. IoMSPC guy laughed when I told him of my mistake and he said I am not alone hundreds have done the same this year as they brought it forward a week. Lots of people have booked the same weeks for years and never bothered to look at the date change, I will in future though. My wife said I did it deliberate just to get two weeks at the TT instead of one. Jumpjoy
09-02-2015, 10:15 AM
Find Reply
Kursaal Flyer Offline

Threads: 37
RE: TT 2015 date blunder
Not quite the same but the very first time I wanted to come over in 1993, it was a very late booking and I told the girl on the phone what I wanted time wise I was coming over to compete in the two Ramsey sprints , she offered me two sailings and they seemed to meet my requirements so booked them. I came over did the sprints and queued up late Thursday night for a early Friday sailing checked in OK got in the queue and sat there waiting to board when the chap doing the next bit noticed my ticket was for 24 hours earlier, he explained I should really be in the standby queue but said what the hell go on get on . I can remember the drive home from liverpool was awful very heavy rain, its not often but on this occasion I was glad I was not on a bike.
Old enough to know better, young enough to have given it a go ! Icon_cool
09-02-2015, 10:47 AM
Website Find Reply
Alfie Noakes Offline
Administrator

Threads: 13
As far as i'm aware Mad Sunday is always the first Sunday of June and everything else works around that ..
09-02-2015, 11:04 AM
Find Reply
c iom tt Offline

Threads: 16
(09-02-2015, 11:04 AM)Alfie Noakes Wrote: As far as i'm aware Mad Sunday is always the first Sunday of June and everything else works around that ..

Correct!
I remember a few years back when a whole boat load of Germans arived a week early.
This year will really be 'Two Weeks In June'
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you want something bad enough, you'll find a way. If you don't, you'll find an excuse
09-02-2015, 11:19 AM
Find Reply
partimer
Unregistered

Mad Sunday is ALWAYS the first Sunday in June.
So when the first Sunday in June is the 1st of June it can look like "it's been brought forward a week" it hasn't

And the TT date determines the dates for the Manx Grand Prix................first day of MGP practice is always 10 weeks after Senior TT
09-02-2015, 01:49 PM
partimer
Unregistered

(09-02-2015, 01:49 PM)partimer Wrote: Mad Sunday is ALWAYS the first Sunday in June.
So when the first Sunday in June is the 1st of June it can look like "it's been brought forward a week" it hasn't

And the TT date determines the dates for the Manx Grand Prix................first day of MGP practice is always 10 weeks after Senior TT

Clearly I should have said

So when the first Sunday in June is the 7th of June it can look like "it's been brought forward a week" it hasn't

My bad. Sorry
09-02-2015, 05:27 PM
BlueFJR Offline
Just Getting Started

Threads: 1
Ha Ha I'm not bothered as my mistake got me two weeks at the TT instead of one. It was my wife that suggested I stay for the two weeks, what a gem. We do have family on the Island mind you so didn't have to find somewhere to stay for the extra week. :-)
10-02-2015, 11:18 AM
Find Reply
TTNeb Offline

Threads: 4
The confusion is partly down to Whitsun Bank Holiday week being the last week of May for half-term and means June begins earlier into half-term than usual. As such, many teachers are missing out on TT this year.
Everything will be alright in the end. And if it's not alright, it's not yet the end.

10-02-2015, 07:58 PM
Find Reply
Rc588 Offline

Threads: 2
Gi all

its not just the tt its also the mgp, normaly the other half comes out for practice week at the tt with my son, this year practce week is in term time so they cant go, saves me £400 bit its short sighted. the mgp races are also in term time. again they willhave to come back early

Now i dont know about others but my other half aint going to let me have 4 weeks holidayon my own, and she dont get one most people only get 20 days holiday a year. also if i take my son out of school then its a £60 fine for each pearant, ive got away with it this year??

Is this not short sighted on the organisers as the young ones will take over in 10-20 years time. in 10 years time falling numbers of spectators.

Regards Rc588
11-02-2015, 11:55 PM
Find Reply
Yamanx Offline

Threads: 12
(11-02-2015, 11:55 PM)Rc588 Wrote: Gi all

its not just the tt its also the mgp, normaly the other half comes out for practice week at the tt with my son, this year practce week is in term time so they cant go, saves me £400 bit its short sighted. the mgp races are also in term time. again they willhave to come back early

Now i dont know about others but my other half aint going to let me have 4 weeks holidayon my own, and she dont get one most people only get 20 days holiday a year. also  if i take my son out of school then its a £60 fine for each pearant, ive got away with it this year??

Is this not short sighted on the organisers as the young ones will take over in 10-20 years time. in 10 years time falling numbers of spectators.

Regards Rc588

But the holidays on the IOM are different and do coincide with the TT. If they moved the TT to suit our holiday period, then they would have all kinds of logistical issues with schooling during the races. Also its not just English school holidays, other countries are all different.
I would'nt expect the IOM Government to take into account our holiday period as a special case.

Its fine as is in my book, and kids grow up (Too damn quickly) and finish school soon enough.

"By all means think yourself big, but never think others small........."  R.F. Scott
(This post was last modified: 12-02-2015, 12:22 PM by Malcolm.)
12-02-2015, 11:57 AM
Find Reply
y2blade Offline

Threads: 13
(09-02-2015, 11:04 AM)Alfie Noakes Wrote: As far as i'm aware Mad Sunday is always the first Sunday of June and everything else works around that ..

Correct, always has and always will be  Gimmefive
12-02-2015, 01:43 PM
Find Reply
Rc588 Offline

Threads: 2
Hi all

we have hand no problem with the mgp for the full 2 weeks for the last 5 years the other half has worked at the school, and the school dates have not changed.

Our camp site was full of familys with kids, will see how many there are this year?

Regards rc588
12-02-2015, 08:14 PM
Find Reply
TTNeb Offline

Threads: 4
The other thing you need to consider is schools can now set their own holiday dates. Each and every one can do their own thing. So it is quite possible that 2 schools within spitting distance of each other can have different term dates if they so choose. Thanks to Mr Gove's legacy.

All LEAs will issue recommended term dates but state schools are no longer obliged to use them, although many recognise the sense in doing so. It will depend on school leadership and governors.

Academies and Free Schools, despite being run with state money, can do their own thing as they are independent of LEA control.

Whitsun Bank Holiday is always part of half-term and as I pointed out - rather vaguely I admit - earlier, the end of May falls on a Sunday so all of the half-term this year is in May whereas usually there are June dates in it, hence TT usually falling in half-term with this year being an exception.
Everything will be alright in the end. And if it's not alright, it's not yet the end.

(This post was last modified: 12-02-2015, 08:48 PM by TTNeb.)
12-02-2015, 08:47 PM
Find Reply
panman Offline

Threads: 10
(09-02-2015, 10:15 AM)BlueFJR Wrote: Anybody else make this mistake? Been going to the TT for well over 30 years and book last year for this years TT. Sitting the other night and for some reason looked at the dates on my ticket and found I had booked practise week instead of race week. AAHHH on to IoMSPC next day and managed to get my return sailing changed to the 12th, at least I will see some race days just means I will be there for two weeks instead of one  Icon_lol will miss the Senior but hey I've done that before and survived. IoMSPC guy laughed when I told him of my mistake and he said I am not alone hundreds have done the same this year as they brought it forward a week. Lots of people have booked the same weeks for years and never bothered to look at the date change, I will in future though. My wife said I did it deliberate just to get two weeks at the TT instead of one. Jumpjoy

I recently rang to change my departure to an earlier date (so I can get there for practice week as well) and the lady said "you do know that's practice week?" She then went on to say that there had been lots of confusion about the dates this year. I can't see why there is confusion though as 'Mad Sunday' (ie the Sunday between practice week and reace week) is always the first Sunday in June, as it is this year. I think it was good of her to check though!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
My Route 66 Blog: www.thehandys.co.uk/blog 
13-02-2015, 04:39 PM
Website Find Reply