I'm glad this didn't happen in TT fortnight . . .
panman Offline

Threads: 10
I'm glad this didn't happen in TT fortnight . . .
. . . . but what if it did? Thye Steam Packet only has two boats, what would be the impact to the Island and the racing if it happened at the start of practice or race week?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-i...n-31451999
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
My Route 66 Blog: www.thehandys.co.uk/blog 
14-02-2015, 04:47 PM
Website Find Reply
warrior Offline

Threads: 2
RE: I'm glad this didn't happen in TT fortnight . . .
It's a constant problem especially when you live here and rely on them regularly.

I along with hundreds of others got stuck in the UK for an extra 3 days at Christmas when the rudder fell off or whatever it was that put the Ben out of service during the busy Christmas & New Year period.

They are saying that the Ben is getting towards replacement time soon, which seems odd when it's only about 17 years old, and the boats it replaced had seen service in WW2 and didn't seem to be hit by anything like the same amount of technical problems we get with the Ben.
14-02-2015, 05:44 PM
Find Reply
Stav Offline

Threads: 3
Buy cheap, buy twice!

They buy things they do not need,

With money they do not have,

To impress people they do not like....
14-02-2015, 10:50 PM
Find Reply
runningbear Offline

Threads: 0
the boat that was replaced by the current ben was not in service during ww2 .the previous ben was a side loader and i think came into service approx 1970 ,they do get a hard time as the irish sea can be very rough.i agree that maybe the ben may be in need of some major attention in some areas.
21-06-2015, 10:25 AM
Find Reply
Dougboy
Unregistered

I think we were closer than most people realise to losing the Mannanan sailings on the middle Saturday due to the weather. That could have had a knock-on effect for days.
22-06-2015, 10:06 AM
wsn03 Offline

Threads: 6
(22-06-2015, 10:06 AM)Dougboy Wrote: I think we were closer than most people realise to losing the Mannanan sailings on the middle Saturday due to the weather. That could have had a knock-on effect for days.

With record gales I don't understand how sailings weren't lost - I was amazed that I was able to book a new sailing 3 days before the first days racing, and just at the end of all the rough seas.
23-06-2015, 01:08 PM
Find Reply
numptydad Offline

Threads: 6
(14-02-2015, 05:44 PM)warrior Wrote: It's a constant problem especially when you live here and rely on them regularly.

I along with hundreds of others got stuck in the UK for an extra 3 days at Christmas when the rudder fell off or whatever it was that put the Ben out of service during the busy Christmas & New Year period.

They are saying that the Ben is getting towards replacement time soon, which seems odd when it's only about 17 years old, and the boats it replaced had seen service in WW2 and didn't seem to be hit by anything like the same amount of technical problems we get with the Ben.

These mechanical problems  add to  the litany of disasters that is the IOMSPC.  The book " Is this any way to Run A Shipping  Line?"

which dates from, I think the mid seventies, details myriad instances of management incompetence, poor ship handling , etc.,  from the days the Line was begun, it seems things are still the same.

On the old Ben, I was sad to see it go, but I have to say it seemed to be held together by the multiple layers of paint that had been applied over the years, this would have been, I think 1985, and the poor old thing had really seen better days.  A quaint old lady, RIP
04-07-2015, 04:05 PM
Find Reply