swings and roundabouts
dougal Offline
Just Getting Started

Threads: 1
swings and roundabouts
talking to a workmate today who always goes to Celtics home games and he was saying how until a couple of years ago there was always 60000 at each game where as now its probably half that and said like everything its swings and roundabouts,made me think about the 23 years of visiting the tt and how its changed,seems now its always a major task getting sorted for dates that suit everyone and iam wondering when the tt will peak?
23-02-2015, 07:48 PM
Find Reply
sticky Offline
Perennial Contributor

Threads: 39
RE: swings and roundabouts
At the risk of sounding flippant, it peaked between in 1978 and remained buoyant through the 80s.  Other opinions are no doubt available Icon_biggrin
23-02-2015, 07:54 PM
Website Find Reply
dougal Offline
Just Getting Started

oh well,didnt make it till 92 so maybe missed the best years.I liked the early nineties but think it was more to do with been in my late teens and always remember everything seemed better back then.
23-02-2015, 08:04 PM
Find Reply
scaramanga Offline

Threads: 25
92 was my first year aswell
but from older friends and videos ive seen i would think the peak was actualy before 1978
__________________________________________________________________________________________________

proud to own and ride a british motorcycle  triumph daytona 675 Hehe
23-02-2015, 08:34 PM
Find Reply
sticky Offline
Perennial Contributor

Threads: 39
It depends how you look at it I suppose.  I first went as a little kid in the mid-60s and it was hugely busy.  The crowds for Hailwood's return in 1978 had to be seen to be believed.  For me the 80s were a fantastic time with the variety of machinery and Joey at his best.  Big crowds too.

Trouble is now they haven't got the capacity to cope with a larger number of visitors.  There are very few hotels left and only two boats.  I'm sure they could get a lot more bums on seats if they had a better tourist infrastructure but that will probably never happen again.

Yes, there's more media interest than there has been for a bit but the media is very fickle and that interested could evaporate some day.  I'm going to sit on the fence and say there was a 40 year peak between 1950-1990!
23-02-2015, 08:44 PM
Website Find Reply
dougal Offline
Just Getting Started

I have a copy of fast bikes from I think 98 where there is a article on the tt and they phone a lot of well known racers and team managers and ask them about racing there,each one gives it a proper slagging off saying no chance its to dangerous out of date etc bu t it now seems like its the place to be and gets folk a bit of publicity for racing there,iam just thinking it will fall out of favour with teams riders and some fans leaving it like it was then but don't know how long till that will happen.I will go regardless as I still think its the best show you will see.
23-02-2015, 09:18 PM
Find Reply
Kursaal Flyer Offline

Threads: 37
From a different perspective, watching onboards the spectating crowd the last few years have been a lot larger than those of 1993 .
Old enough to know better, young enough to have given it a go ! Icon_cool
24-02-2015, 09:58 AM
Website Find Reply
c iom tt Offline

Threads: 16
The TT has always had its highs and lows. At the moment it is on a high. The DED will have you belive that the high is down to them. ( that might very well be true) But it only need one wet year ( like in 98) and you will see the following year plumet in visitor numbers.
Or watch what will happen if some of the big player no longer appear.
I thing Guy Martin retiring, J McG being injured, or Michael D not having a ride one year will knock off at least 5000 visitors for each rider, from coming over.
At the end of the day, whatever the weather, or what riders are racing, the true enthusiast's as apposed to the ' Event curious' visitors will carry on attending the TT for as long as they can.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you want something bad enough, you'll find a way. If you don't, you'll find an excuse
24-02-2015, 01:13 PM
Find Reply
veefour Offline

Threads: 16
(24-02-2015, 09:58 AM)Kursaal Flyer Wrote: From a different perspective, watching onboards the spectating crowd the last few years have been a lot larger than those of 1993 .

Could be, but the spectators would have been spread out more round the course then due to not so many restricted areas like there are now. Now they are bunched up more perhaps giving the illusion of bigger crowds Undecided.  
Grey-haired riders don't get that way from pure luck.
24-02-2015, 01:59 PM
Find Reply
eman1948 Offline

Threads: 6
That could be said for years gone by with big crowds at or close to the start/finish for lack of transport.
24-02-2015, 05:58 PM
Find Reply
gixxertim Offline

Threads: 3
Be interesting to see a visitor numbers data going back to 30 years
26-02-2015, 12:02 AM
Find Reply
xjrboy Offline
Just Getting Started

Threads: 0
(23-02-2015, 08:34 PM)scaramanga Wrote: 92 was my first year aswell
but from older friends and videos ive seen i would think the peak was actualy before 1978

What a year to start with the famous Senior between Foggy and Hizzy !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
03-03-2015, 08:02 PM
Find Reply
cregnybaa Offline

Threads: 9
I believe that in the seventies they had up to six ships in service, so i would say they were most likely transporting more people over then than now. The Mike Hailwood return was definitely the busiest i have ever seen it, i was once told that when he won the island sunk two inches into the sea with all the people jumping up and down.Icon_lol
03-03-2015, 09:28 PM
Find Reply
bsa499 Offline

Threads: 48
My favourite period of the TT was when it was still a round of the GP world championships but it was a real pain getting there with a motorcycle. The ferries, the pumping out of the fuel tanks etc etc. I still enjoy the races now, but in a different way. The thing that hasn't changed significantly though is what makes the TT what it is, the incredible Mountain Course.
05-03-2015, 11:11 PM
Find Reply
roger9650 Offline

Threads: 0
Look at any old photos and it's clear that the crowds were very much bigger in the fifties and sixties.  A good number of spectators may have been locals, I don't know, but nearly every street in Douglas had bikes parked side by side - including the length of the Prom.  The loading/unloading was a pain though and I never understood the tank pumping out regime. The only absentee was media hype which may explain the current perception that the event has never been bigger! 
06-03-2015, 10:08 AM
Find Reply
bsa499 Offline

Threads: 48
(06-03-2015, 10:08 AM)roger9650 Wrote: Look at any old photos and it's clear that the crowds were very much bigger in the fifties and sixties.  A good number of spectators may have been locals, I don't know, but nearly every street in Douglas had bikes parked side by side - including the length of the Prom.  The loading/unloading was a pain though and I never understood the tank pumping out regime. The only absentee was media hype which may explain the current perception that the event has never been bigger! 
You're absolutely correct Roger, the TT's not bigger and the hype can't change that. It's still good though!
06-03-2015, 11:12 AM
Find Reply
dougal Offline
Just Getting Started

Maybe there is no period better than any other just down to age and what riders you liked at that time,theres at least 7 or 8 riders capable of winning just now but I still liked the Castrol Honda days hislop,dunlop, McAllen and nick Jefferies.
08-03-2015, 10:55 PM
Find Reply