Gary Johnson is left fuming as Martin nets his Isle of Man TT seat
trevrev Offline
Just Getting Started

Threads: 0
RE: Gary Johnson is left fuming as Martin nets his Isle of Man TT seat
What has this got to do with M Dunlop it looks like teams just use him,he gets them TT wins then they ditch him .what team has won a TT after he has left Kawasaki, Honda, Bmw.
25-02-2015, 10:23 PM
Find Reply
c iom tt Offline

Threads: 16
(25-02-2015, 10:23 PM)trevrev Wrote: What has this got to do with  M Dunlop  it looks like teams just use him,he gets them TT wins then they ditch him .what team has won a TT after he has left Kawasaki, Honda, Bmw.

Blush Confused Confused
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you want something bad enough, you'll find a way. If you don't, you'll find an excuse
25-02-2015, 10:30 PM
Find Reply
gixxertim Offline

Threads: 3
Mentally destroy lol sounds like someone doesn't like being in a "team" to me
25-02-2015, 11:57 PM
Find Reply
Sam Pato Offline

Threads: 24
(25-02-2015, 11:57 PM)gixxertim Wrote: Mentally destroy lol sounds like someone doesn't like being in a "team" to me

It's always puzzled me why Gary J isn't on the shopping list of the top teams every year.  He's a proven winner and one of the only racers who can push Michael Dunlop.  This seems to be a telling statement - and quite a surprise given his usually modest and well presented PR/ interview style.

Whats it got to do with MD ? ........................ its an analogy isn't it?

Cheers

Sam
Warning Level 0% since 2006
(This post was last modified: 26-02-2015, 12:04 AM by Sam Pato.)
26-02-2015, 12:03 AM
Find Reply
gixxertim Offline

MD is a phenomenon wouldn't surprise me if he rocks up and destroys everyone again this year

As for GJ that comment surprised me if reported correctly, I too have thought why a big team havnt snapped him up I think his riding is definitely top 5 material

Regardless of the above think this years going to be special Honda strong as always, PB with but hutchy, TAS with arguably the best bikes etc roll it on can't wait missed last 2 years dammit so this years special return for me
26-02-2015, 12:18 AM
Find Reply
dougal Offline
Just Getting Started

Threads: 1
aye,goin to be a good one would like jmcg to get another win or two.
26-02-2015, 12:34 AM
Find Reply
coll83 Offline

(26-02-2015, 12:34 AM)dougal Wrote: aye,goin to be a good one would like jmcg to get another win or two.

Would have thought he will get at least one counting the zero, really hope he comes back strong after last year!!!
Was mint to see him on the top step I 2013 from the grandstand after MD was on for a sweep, took the senior in good fashion!!!
26-02-2015, 10:16 AM
Find Reply
Ricky Offline
Banned

Threads: 2
Not good this, not good at all for a neutral, or for the sport in general.

I cant stand Guy's " Im only a truck fitter" routine, its nonsense, but Johnsons joined him by this "mentally destroyin" rubbish as well.

Surely Gaz has had contact with Smiths since he won a TT for them last year. Maybe asked for a bit too much for a bit too much this year? who knows.

The Johnson fans will talk about the 2 TT wins, against Guys none, but how many times has Guy "mentally destroyed" Gaz on a superbike!

Discuss TT fans.
26-02-2015, 06:35 PM
Find Reply
Yellowbelly Offline
Just Getting Started

Lets hope Gary carries on where he left off with the Supersport bike next year, he deserves much better than that treatment if it's correct. I'm sure Lincolnshire's best roads rider and also by far the best for media etc and treating fans alike can win again. Gary is such a nice chap to talk to and very honest in conversations etc.
27-02-2015, 11:11 PM
Find Reply
bambam Offline

Threads: 6
STATEMENT FROM SMITHS RACING SITE
Further to the recent announcement regarding Guy Martin and Dave Johnson riding for double British Champions and Isle of Man TT winners Smiths Racing Team at the 2015 Isle of Man TT Races fuelled by Monster Energy this season, there have been some inaccurate and untruthful comments listed on both social media and printed in the press.

As such, and in order to correct any such inaccuracies, particularly those referring to Gary Johnson, team manager Rebecca Smith wishes to make the following official statement:

“Whilst delighted to have confirmed our plans of the 2015 TT Races, we have been very disappointed with the subsequent comments on the various media platforms. For the record, Gary was offered the Supersport TT ride with us for the 2015 TT back in October 2014, when I met with him at the final round of the MCE British Superbike Championship. Those initial discussions highlighted that Gary’s financial expectations had transformed drastically since him riding for us in 2014 and, whilst we were prepared to improve the package for 2015, they were just too far apart from what our budget allowed and this was made clear at that very early stage. As a team, the deal from our side had not changed logistically. The bike is better having undergone further development work, the crew he would be working with would be the same and the testing plan would have been as 2014.

I am not prepared to disclose any of the financial discussions that took place between Gary and I as I deem these to be confidential, but I will say that those which have been printed in the media over the last week or so are vastly incorrect. Right up until recently, the deal was still on offer to Gary but we were not prepared to increase our initial offer. We were subsequently approached by Guy Martin who asked if he could acquire a Triumph Daytona 675R from us to use at the 2015 Isle of Man TT Races. As a result, and realising that the 2015 festival was only three months away, and having not reached an agreement with Gary, we agreed to supply that earmarked machine for Guy to use. There is no hidden agenda with the deal with Guy, no television or commercial deals like as some are suggesting. We want to work with him and he wants to work with us, there really is nothing more to it than that.

I would also like to reiterate that our priority rider in all solo classes at the TT is Dave Johnson whom we rate highly, despite coming in for some unfair criticism in these inaccurate and inappropriate stories. He will spearhead our efforts on both BMW and Triumph machinery and Guy Martin will join him for the two Supersport races on the Smiths 675cc Triumph Daytona. Running both Gary and Guy on Supersport bikes as teammates was never a viable option for us.

I hope that puts the record straight from our perspective and we wish Gary well in his endeavours this season and once again wish to place on record our thanks for his achievement in giving us our first TT win last year.”

Qualifying for the 2015 Isle of Man TT fuelled by Monster Energy starts Saturday 30th May with the Superbike Race and Sure Sidecar Race 1 on Saturday 6th June. Monday 8th June sees the RL360 Superstock Race and Monster Energy Supersport Race 1 with Wednesday 10th June hosting the Sure Sidecar Race 2, Monster Energy Supersport Race 2 and SES TT Zero. Friday 12th June sees the Bike Nation Lightweight and PokerStars Senior TT Race to round off the two weeks of action
01-03-2015, 09:32 PM
Find Reply
gixxertim Offline

Great communication then on their part and for me refreshing to see Smile hope smiths triumph get another win this year
01-03-2015, 09:40 PM
Find Reply
Ricky Offline
Banned

So Johnson got a bit greedy then complained when it backfired!
01-03-2015, 10:04 PM
Find Reply
eman1948 Offline

Threads: 6
Good on Smith`s Triumph on giving out that statement but Gary feels he`s worth X amount and nobody can knock him for that. Unfortunately they are a small team and do not have the financial clout. If they did have the money who would they prefer riding for them, Guy or Gary ??. Without a shadow of a doubt with Guy`s popularity they are going to have a huge amount of media exposure, so do they think they have come out the winners?
01-03-2015, 10:22 PM
Find Reply
Steady the Edward Offline

Threads: 43
A reminder that , money plays a big part in who rides what , just look at the JM 130 thing , with the clash of sponsors of John and Paget's making it that John could not ride for them , Guy has said many times that he does not ride for what teams pay him he gets his money from sponsors and having a job ( ok so many people don't like it when he says that , but doing things that way allows him to get the bikes he wants with people he wants to work with ) in todays world a rider that wants to make his living out of just riding a bike needs to be very business savvy as well as having the ability to ride a bike , money is God in everything these days sadly

02-03-2015, 11:34 AM
Find Reply
gixxertim Offline

It's the same as anything in life "a budget" is typically that an amount of money set aside for an activity, the reason being to deliver what you want to achieve for the desired "budget". Everything else being equal it apears to me that rider 'a' was placing himself outside of a finance budget and rider 'b' came in either on or under budget.

Money isn't god at all, money is only the deciding factor in making a transaction, your either prepared to pay it or not. In this instance clearly rider 'a' was over budget and so could not be procured.

Apply the above to any business plan or transaction, without emotion and it speaks for itself
02-03-2015, 12:02 PM
Find Reply
coll83 Offline

Glad to see that this has some sort of resolve!!
02-03-2015, 12:29 PM
Find Reply
scaramanga Offline

Threads: 25
(01-03-2015, 09:40 PM)gixxertim Wrote: Great communication then on their part and for me refreshing to see Smile hope smiths triumph get another win this year

but obviously it will still be guys fault in most peoples eyes
just proves its not about money on his said as it looks like he was willing to pay for the ride
as for garry well i still respect him as a rider but looks like the money is more important than getting the right package
and i dont hold that against him road racers dont get what they deserve so if you can earn a few extra quid then good for them
__________________________________________________________________________________________________

proud to own and ride a british motorcycle  triumph daytona 675 Hehe
02-03-2015, 01:30 PM
Find Reply
c iom tt Offline

Threads: 16
It is up to Gary to set out what he wants from a team, but I think his response ( if accurate) was a bit misleading.
At least everyone knows what the facts are and can make up there own mind.
And.. it goes to show that Guy Martin puts his money where his mouth is when he is prepared to buy his own bike.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you want something bad enough, you'll find a way. If you don't, you'll find an excuse
02-03-2015, 01:35 PM
Find Reply
gixxertim Offline

^^^ agree with scaramanga and CIOMTT

No point being dissapointed if you bid for a job and don't get it, can't be Guys fault if he was asking for money that wasn't available he wouldn't have got the ride either

Completely understand if GJ wants to maximise his return on what it clearly a short career at the top end though too get it while "if" you can while it's there
02-03-2015, 02:41 PM
Find Reply
Ricky Offline
Banned

Johnson really has done himself no favours here.

He made it sound like he was dropped in favour of Guy but he refused the deal Smiths offered so really has nothin to complain about, Smiths decision who they run has nothin to do with him - Its not like a deal was done and Smiths didnt honour it.

Other teams will maybe think twice about signin him in the future, if he s prepared to throw his toys out of the pram when he doesnt get his way - maybe thats the reason he sometimes struggles to get sorted with machinery
02-03-2015, 02:52 PM
Find Reply