Gary Johnson is left fuming as Martin nets his Isle of Man TT seat
Malcolm Offline
Administrator

Threads: 18,390
Gary Johnson is left fuming as Martin nets his Isle of Man TT seat
[Image: garyjohnson1monday.jpg]

Gary Johnson, who won the 2014 Supersport title at the Isle of Man TT, will sensationally be replaced in the Smiths Triumph set-up at this year's June showpiece by network Television star and part-time truck mechanic Guy Martin - who is still without a win at the iconic Manx event.

Despite handing the British team and manufacturer a coveted TT win last June, and offering to ride for free in 2015, Johnson was told there was no place for him in the Smiths set-up this year on the roads.

"I'm as shocked as anyone at the decision after giving Smiths and Triumph a win on their debut at the TT last year," said the hard charging Lincolnshire man, who isn't completely in the wilderness, having secured a deal to ride in the 1000cc classes this year on the roads for the factory-backed GB Moto Kawasaki team.

But he is a little exasperated at the late decision.

"I suppose the lure of Guy and the TV exposure he brings was too hard for them to turn down. All I can do now is go and find a top-class team," he lamented.

"I have proven that I can win TT, something Guy has still to do. I would love to have been given the chance to ride alongside Guy in the same team, as I'd have mentally destroyed him before we even got to the race-track," said Johnson assertively.

Martin will ride for Tyco BMW on the roads this year in the 1000cc classes, but with the German manufacturer not able to provide a middleweight machine, he has jumped on what is potentially the best Supersport bike for the job between the hedges.

Martin said of the deal: "I wanted the best tool for the job in the Supersport class, so I rang the Smiths team and we ended up doing a deal. I reckon the Triumph is the bike to be on, and I have a few jobs with the Triumph after the TT - so I'm looking forward to getting them sorted."

Martin's Tyco BMW team-mate William Dunlop will ride a Yamaha R6 for Randalstown businessman Chris Dowd at the three internationals, leaving just a question mark over what machinery, if any, Alastair Seeley will ride at this year's NW200.

[Image: belfast-telegraphlogo.gif]
Paul Lindsay
24-02-2015, 01:14 PM
Website Find Reply
c iom tt Offline

Threads: 16
RE: Gary Johnson is left fuming as Martin nets his Isle of Man TT seat
No love lost there then!
Mentally destroyed, Strong words!
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you want something bad enough, you'll find a way. If you don't, you'll find an excuse
24-02-2015, 01:16 PM
Find Reply
HammerHead Offline

Threads: 23
Gutted for Gary. I did wonder when I saw the press release yesterday why he would switch teams after 2014, but didn't realise he'd been dropped. I assumed his big bike deal also incorporated a SS ride.

I don't know the history but was aware there is no love lost between the two of them.

"There is nothing so momentary as a sporting achievement, and nothing so lasting as the memory of it."
24-02-2015, 01:27 PM
Find Reply
cookie77 Offline

Threads: 3
surely they would have wanted Gary Johnson over David Johnson, would have been a great team with Guy and Gary.

Maybe Guy wouldn't have wanted to be in a team where he wouldn't be top seeded rider?

Sure Gary will have plenty of opportunities for a top ride.
24-02-2015, 01:37 PM
Find Reply
Bill Peacock Offline

Threads: 1
I also thought Gary had a 600 Kawasaki for GB Moto team
24-02-2015, 02:06 PM
Find Reply
cookie77 Offline

Probably has now- If they've got a bike spare they'll offer it to him.

Not sure the kawasaki 600 is the best bike to be on though??
24-02-2015, 02:33 PM
Find Reply
coll83 Offline

Threads: 0
Cant argue with what Gary had said, Guy needs that win more than anyone if you ask me but think this is a strange move by the team?
Maybe a good PR move but surely the wins count more than t-shirt and fleece sales?
24-02-2015, 03:55 PM
Find Reply
c iom tt Offline

(24-02-2015, 03:55 PM)coll83 Wrote: surely the wins count more than t-shirt and fleece sales?

Not when you are showing sponsors how much TV coverage you are getting with him.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you want something bad enough, you'll find a way. If you don't, you'll find an excuse
24-02-2015, 04:03 PM
Find Reply
verwoodian Offline
Just Getting Started

Threads: 1
Looking at the livery on the Smiths bike they do not seem to have or from the size and success of their business need too many non related sponsors. Perhaps they believe they are more likely to get a second win with Guy Martin.
24-02-2015, 06:07 PM
Find Reply
eman1948 Offline

Threads: 6
Gary has ridden for some top teams in the past but has not kept the rides, why?
By the way I think he`s a brilliant rider, I would put him on the Honda (where he has been in the past)? in front of Connor Cummins.
OK I`m waiting for the knocks Icon_biggrin
24-02-2015, 06:08 PM
Find Reply
Smokin Haddock Racing Offline

Threads: 8
Perhaps comments like that are why he has not kept rides. Really unnecessary.
24-02-2015, 08:24 PM
Find Reply
Virgil Offline

Totally agree with Gary's comments to be honest. A proven TT winner and on Smiths Triumph.

Same thing happened with the TAS mob when they ditched Bruce for Guy Martin.

Guy has won nothing at the TT, Gary 2 !! I can understand why Gary is fuming

Virgil
24-02-2015, 10:34 PM
Find Reply
jimmy182 Offline

Couple of interesting things about that article. Why have they picked david johnson over gary johnson? And why as a team mate would you want to mentally destroy someone before you even got on a bike ? Strange one for me in all aspects.
25-02-2015, 12:20 AM
Find Reply
coll83 Offline

"Not when you are showing sponsors how much TV coverage you are getting with him."

I understand that but surely the wins are more credible than getting extra coverage on the TV? Surely putting the bike on the top step gets it more coverage? Don't think Gary has done himself in favours with those comments but agree he has tasted victory!
At the end of the day we don't know how is 'out the door' was done.

Surely Guy has to win one this year?! ; )
(This post was last modified: 25-02-2015, 11:27 AM by Malcolm.)
25-02-2015, 10:33 AM
Find Reply
c iom tt Offline

Well, they probably think that they can get a win with GM, and get the extra TV coverage that the Media Circus in GM brings.
Time will tell.
As for GJ comments, slaging off your old team is a dangerous line to walk, unless it is obvious that they have done something wrong. Your new team will be your old one at some point in the future. They wont want to be second guessing what you might say when you leave.

25-02-2015, 01:03 PM
Find Reply
Max Power Offline

As a team owner said to me, there is more to riding for a team than winning races. Michael Dunlop is a winner also, but he's not on many team owner's shopping lists whom he has ridden for previously!
25-02-2015, 01:05 PM
Find Reply
cookie77 Offline

Don't think Gary has said anything wrong here, he's been dumped by a team that he won a tt for, same as Michael dunlop was.

The same could be said that the team helped him win a tt also I guess though.

It makes sense having Guy in the team, but doesn't make any sense in having David over Gary??

As far as i know i have never seen Gary with any attitude or heard any rumours of fallings out.
Whenever i have seen him he's always been really chilled out and friendly so doubt there would be many reasons a team wouldn't want him for that reason?
25-02-2015, 02:18 PM
Find Reply
c iom tt Offline

(25-02-2015, 02:18 PM)cookie77 Wrote: Don't think Gary has said anything wrong here, he's been dumped by a team that he won a tt for, same as Michael dunlop was.

The same could be said that the team helped him win a tt also I guess though.

It makes sense having Guy in the team, but doesn't make any sense in having David over Gary??

As far as i know i have never seen Gary with any attitude or heard any rumours of fallings out.
Whenever i have seen him he's always been really chilled out and friendly so doubt there would be many reasons a team wouldn't want him for that reason?

Although he always seems smiley and chatty, I always thought he is a bit 'blunt' in some of the thing he says.

Its a fine line between confidence and arrogance. You dont know what has or has not been said behind the scenes. Whatever has happened ( which has nothing to do with anyone else but them) , it has left him without a ride with Smiths Triumph.

25-02-2015, 02:26 PM
Find Reply
bambam Offline

Threads: 6
the same storys on a facebook page and gary said in the comments "Well nothing like abit of media spin to get job going..
Fast, but more importantly safe ride by all!!"

so take from that what ye will
25-02-2015, 03:07 PM
Find Reply
Big thumpa Offline

Threads: 5
A bit of a shame better just letting there racing do the talking!!!! hope gary sticks it right up him

Sucking Rabbits outa Hedges Icon_mrgreen
25-02-2015, 05:43 PM
Find Reply