Keys could be forced to miss North West 200
Malcolm Offline
Administrator

Threads: 18,390
Keys could be forced to miss North West 200
[Image: garethkeys2.jpg]
Gareth Keys from Ballinderry with Brian Hull and the B&W Racing Honda

Gareth Keys may skip the Vauxhall International North West 200 as he works towards his debut at the Isle of Man TT races in June due to the costs involved in competing around the 37.73-mile course.

Keys recently received news from TT Motorsport and Development Manager Paul Phillips confirming his participation at the two-week event in which he will contest both Supersport races aboard Brian Hull’s B&W Racing CBR600RR Honda along with the Lightweight race.

The 24-year-old from Ballinderry feels the effort and expenses involved in preparing for the world’s most daunting two-wheel event will keep him away from the North West in a competitive capacity as he continues to seek new sponsorship.

“We’ll probably do the first Scarborough meeting then the Cookstown 100 and the Tandragee with both bikes,” Keys said.

“We’re not sure about the North West 200 yet. We want to try and save money for the TT – that’s the main goal for this year. It’s a week off work and it’s all down to money. If we blow an engine up that could screw the TT up for us after all this planning.

“If someone offered me a Superbike and a couple of pounds I’d do it no problem but I’m not paying for it.”

The Lisburn-based rider initially made his way through the Irish short circuit championships but always harboured ambitions to compete on the Mountain Course since turning his attentions to road racing in 2013. Now, with two years of experience behind him, he feels the time is right to make his Island debut.

“We’ve been building towards it for two or three years,” he said. “I applied for it last year and because I started at the smaller road races and thought that I’d get a full year under my belt before I went on to something like this.

“The opportunity came up with Brian and Wendy [Hull] on a real good bike. Paul Phillips said that he would take me on as a newcomer this year. It’s very hard to get so I was happy with that.”

Recent trips over to the Island to familiarise himself with the mountain circuit proved “daunting” but, while Keys completed laps in a hire car, he knew that he was justified in taking just two bikes to Douglas this year.

“We were actually offered a BMW 1000 Superbike but for my first time there I wouldn’t feel comfortable. I feel better on a 600, something a wee bit slower. I think the 600 and the 650 will help each other out. If you get on a Superbike you’re just holding on as a passenger.”

Keys maintains that his main aim is to enjoy his first experience at the world’s leading road race.

“I’m just going there to enjoy it and take in as much in as possible. I’d love to get a few good, consistent finishes.” 

Keys is still searching for additional sponsors and has urged anyone who can help to contact him via email at keysracing72@googlemail.com.

[Image: newletterlogo.jpg]
02-03-2015, 05:09 PM
Website Find Reply
NB12 Offline

Threads: 1
RE: Keys could be forced to miss North West 200
I read the title wrong I thought this was about Miss NW200 🙈
@neilbrownNB12
03-03-2015, 07:17 PM
Find Reply