Is he the Best?
eman1948 Offline

Threads: 6
Is he the Best?
Is he or how long will it be before Michael Dunlop can/will be considered the best TT rider ever?
10-03-2015, 08:30 AM
Find Reply
jimmy182 Offline

Threads: 0
RE: Is he the Best?
I suppose when he's won more than anyone else. I.e joey. But other people consider different riders to be better than joey. Is it opinion or fact that joey is the current all time best ?
10-03-2015, 09:00 AM
Find Reply
Kursaal Flyer Offline

Threads: 37
Theres two points of view here the most wins Joey , The best is a matter of personal opinion . IMOP
Old enough to know better, young enough to have given it a go ! Icon_cool
10-03-2015, 09:29 AM
Website Find Reply
bambam Offline

hes the best there is in this present time,.and fact remains that joey has won the most so far,so he is the greatest TT rider of all time..then look down the list.but ya cant take it away from micky dunlop,hes already passed some great tt riders so  far,and hes a young buck.i think  some folk turn there heads the other way when it comes to dunlop,maybe its down to him as a person,but him on a bike at the tt,well look at his wins so far,and esp the double 4 the last 2 years....if riders below him are claimed to be greats,well that makes him one,for sure..when any rider passes joeys number of wins then they are the greatest..fact is no one has won more..until then.......
(This post was last modified: 10-03-2015, 10:36 AM by bambam.)
10-03-2015, 10:29 AM
Find Reply
spannerman Offline

Threads: 28
Win's? he has achieved more wins than Joey or any other rider by winning 12 times in his short TT years, albeit the others have won more TTs, Joey, Hailwood, JM, hasn't done that, i was one of many Joey greatest fans but i have never seen Joey ride as hard as Michael can especialy on the brakes, i have never seen a roads rider brake as good as Michael can, in my 50yrs of watching the TT he to me is the best we have seen by far, and his ability to be a tactiician like his uncle is getting better, although Joey will take some beating in that department, with 10 DNFs to date lets just hope he is not as unlucky as Joey was with his DNFs
(This post was last modified: 10-03-2015, 11:05 AM by spannerman.)
10-03-2015, 10:56 AM
Find Reply
gixxertim Offline

Threads: 3
Only my opinion but the way he has won them and the mix of bikes and competition present over the last few years makes Michaels achievements very special indeed, like him or not it's amazing what he's done

This year entering the unknown again on a brand new bike to the roads will be another big test, the last R1 couldn't be made to do it, who's to say he won't rock up and be on it straight away, I certainly wouldn't bet against him 😃
10-03-2015, 12:14 PM
Find Reply
DaveOldham Offline

He is the best current rider in my opinion. Whenever chatting about who will win he is always the guy that I think of first.

But let's see him take an 11-year break then come back and win before we call him the best Wink
10-03-2015, 03:39 PM
Find Reply
Big thumpa Offline

Threads: 5
I think hes outstanding the way he attacks any race and rides the wheels of everything he races .Always going to be entertainment with him about
But I worry sometimes can you keep it up for year after year? hes for shure a tt legend
I Think John McGuiness is the BEST   Super fast super smooth but that's just my opinion Angel

Sucking Rabbits outa Hedges Icon_mrgreen
(This post was last modified: 10-03-2015, 05:40 PM by Big thumpa.)
10-03-2015, 05:34 PM
Find Reply
arsey30 Offline

Mike H is still my top TT rider, should have won 4 in 1961.
Watched him on the Honda 4s/6s, so fast and smooth.
Won on Suzuki 2 stroke, Ducati twin, Norton single, Honda and MV multis, mainly against the best in the world GP riders [How would the current riders fare against Marques, Ross, Lorrenso, if they took up road racing? ]
Joey will always be the best road racer ever in my mind, but Hizzy the best TT racer.

However, if MD retired at the end of this year he would still go down as one of the greatest TT/road racers ever, I am always astounded when ever I watch him.
If he does continue, then he could become the greatest, the number of wins does not tell it all, were they leading and by how much when they broke down and who were their opposition?
10-03-2015, 05:49 PM
Find Reply
AntG Offline

It's difficult to compare riders from different eras against each other for a number of reasons, a few being how much machinery, tyres and track surface have changed over time. My personal favourite rider of all time is Joey but I wouldn't say he was the best just because of the number of races he won. I think Michael has a very good shout at being the best right now but it will be interesting to see how John McGuinness comes back this year.
10-03-2015, 07:30 PM
Find Reply
Doc Offline

Threads: 1
And then there are Stanley Woods, Freddie Dixon and the two Jimmy's (Guthery and Simpson) et al. They were the best of their era. If only we could stick 'em all on the same bike, on the same track on the same day and let them fight it out.

I am just grateful I get to see a range of gladiators facing up to the challenge. There really is noting like it anywhere else in the world (at the moment!).
11-03-2015, 02:42 PM
Find Reply
should ken better Offline
Just Getting Started

In my humble opinion and limited knowledge of fairly recent TT history the (fastest) men ever to grace the mountain course are Hailwood,Hislop,D,Jeffries,and current King M.Dunlop.
And for me personaly thats what counts the most,i know you have to be in it to win it and all that.
These 4 on the starting line in there prime at the same time would be something. For me at least these four stand out just bit more than the rest.
But there are lots more that are only a fraction away.
And i would put MD at the top of this shortlist,he really is something else.
The fantastic TT races! the race full of the could have! should have! and only if! and would have! Smile

Still thee best race in the world.
11-03-2015, 05:48 PM
Find Reply
dougal Offline
Just Getting Started

Threads: 1
Think we need to see who's the best when jmcg gets goin,still think he's the man to beat on the super bike.
11-03-2015, 07:28 PM
Find Reply
eman1948 Offline

John McG has been brilliant and is brilliant but just think cracks are showing, just my opinion and no offence intended.
11-03-2015, 08:13 PM
Find Reply
MackieStaggie Offline

He's been the man to aim at for the past couple of years, and will be again this year despite him being on a different bike yet again. He's the greatest of the current era and has the potential to dominate the scene for years to come.

Is he the greatest of all time though? That's an impossible one to answer in my opinion, you are comparing different era's and competition......you can only beat whats around you, not whats been.
11-03-2015, 09:31 PM
Find Reply
gixxertim Offline

This in my opinion is why this years going to be a cracker IMO

We will never know how fast MD could have gone last year as john was injured and would have been at it especially on the big bikes

But this year john will be fit, hungry, and on the trusted blade as usual and Michael on a new bike, add in the TAS boys and the others who knows what's going to happen

They could conceivably both win a few or non at all who knows
11-03-2015, 09:33 PM
Find Reply
Ricky Offline
Banned

Threads: 2
Jm130 fit and hungry, Michael on a new undeveloped but by all accounts awesome R1, Guy on a more competitive bike, William strong now on a superbike, Hutchy, Johnson,Hillier, Anstey, Harrison, Lee Johnston, Amor, Farquhar,Cummins and many more.

Not sure why some people refuse to believe its more competitive these days. Awesome line up
11-03-2015, 10:10 PM
Find Reply
Rc588 Offline

Threads: 2
hi all

There is one record non of your aformentiond riders have achived, to win a TT, Mgp and the manx Trials, that honour go's t0 Splashdown, he is the only person to ever do this.

I also think when compairing wins it should be taken in to account how many races could woods in the 30s for example enter in a week certanly not 6. This is not to detract from modern riders but those old boys were just as talented.

We neded nick to win a classic tt and that will be some racord to break.

You could also argue surtees record, TT and world champion bike and car? it is not always the most number of wins

Regards Rc588
11-03-2015, 11:40 PM
Find Reply
spannerman Offline

Threads: 28
Carlo Ubiali rode in the inter six day trials as well as five TT wins and winning 3 world motorcycle championships, i am not sure but i think Provini also did the inter six day trials.
(This post was last modified: 12-03-2015, 12:52 AM by spannerman.)
12-03-2015, 12:44 AM
Find Reply
Splashdown Offline

Threads: 32
Well done Spanners, you're right about Ubialli. Not sure about Provini.
Other TT Winners to ride the ISDT are: Georg Meir, Ewald Kluge,  Florian Camathias, Bill Lomas, Geoff Duke, Eric Oliver... me!
Thank you RC588 for your kind comments, yes a Classic TT win would be good, although unlikely.
I'll research the ISDT connection, I think there are a few more. I think Omobono Tenni rode, but there's bound to me more.
12-03-2015, 01:43 AM
Find Reply