Getting around by bus
tim1964 Offline
Just Getting Started

Threads: 2
Getting around by bus
Unfortunately this year we wont be able to bring the bike and will be going to the island as foot passengers.
How easy is it to get around the island by public transport? Can you get to Ramsey, Jurby etc during race week easily for example? Ideally we don't want to spend the whole of race week in the Douglas area.
Thanks, Tim 
11-03-2015, 10:20 AM
Find Reply
captainsparkledotcom Offline

Threads: 392
RE: Getting around by bus
(11-03-2015, 10:20 AM)tim1964 Wrote: Unfortunately this year we wont be able to bring the bike and will be going to the island as foot passengers.
How easy is it to get around the island by public transport? Can you get to Ramsey, Jurby etc during race week easily for example? Ideally we don't want to spend the whole of race week in the Douglas area.
Thanks, Tim 

Timetables are here, but, of course, they do vary on race days, some cancelllations & some extra.
http://www.gov.im/categories/travel-traf...-and-rail/
11-03-2015, 10:53 AM
Website Find Reply
tim1964 Offline
Just Getting Started

Thanks for that. All's not lost then!
(This post was last modified: 11-03-2015, 11:57 AM by tim1964.)
11-03-2015, 11:56 AM
Find Reply
Steady the Edward Offline

Threads: 43
It's a great way to do it . get a rover ticket , When we did it if I remember correctly they did a five day one that you could use on the Steam trains to Port Erin , the Electric one to Ramsey and from Laxy to Snaefell or during racing to the Bungalow the Horse Drawn Trams on Douglas Prom ,thats if they are running ,not sure how things stand with them for this year as there was talk of them not running , then they were again , but not 100% , and then on all the corporation bus's , and the feel good factor when you worked out the timetable and got it RIGHT is priceless and the things you can see from the top deck of a double decker that you never could from the bike is brill , and they do a special TT timetable that you will need , you will have a great time I am sure

11-03-2015, 09:41 PM
Find Reply
Superbike Offline

Threads: 4
It's not a bad way of doing it, we have done a few times the rover ticket is quite expensive but if you use the services enough its the cheapest way as the bus fares soon mount up. They do a ticket just for the bus service as well as the the rover that lets you use the whole lot rail,bus and horse. I hope the horses are still going this year it's a great way of getting across town.
12-03-2015, 12:54 AM
Find Reply
Stroller Offline

Threads: 14
(12-03-2015, 12:54 AM)Superbike Wrote: It's not a bad way of doing it, we have done a few times the rover ticket is quite expensive but if you use the services enough its the cheapest way as the bus fares soon mount up. They do a ticket just for the bus service as well as the the rover that lets you use the whole lot rail,bus and horse. I hope the horses are still going this year it's a great way of getting across town.
The old paper Rover tickets are being phased out and are going to be replaced with fancy new smartcards - see HERE for details and prices.

I don't think the new cards cover the horse trams (which are run by Douglas Corporation), only the Railways and Buses (which are government run)

Latest news from the hay loft is that the horse trams are running this year
12-03-2015, 09:14 AM
Find Reply
Baldy Gaz Offline
Banned

Being a bus driver myself, the idea of spending my TT week travelling around on a bus would fill me with dread Icon_frown.  Saying that I suppose it beats walking from one side of the island to another.
15-03-2015, 10:42 PM
Find Reply
Evilkinevil Offline

Threads: 6
Slightly off topic, but do they still do the circuit/pub tours during TT week?
Where you go round in a bus, get some commentary and stop off at various places round the circuit.

Something I would really like to book for my old man.

thanks
16-03-2015, 01:25 PM
Find Reply
Evilkinevil Offline

Threads: 6
After a bit of googling, I found this

https://booking.regencytravelholidays.co...option=160

£35 to go round the course in a bus with Phil McCallen.

Not sure if thats worth it to be honest, £70 for the 2 of us, so I'm swithering.
20-03-2015, 11:16 AM
Find Reply
tim1964 Offline
Just Getting Started

(16-03-2015, 01:25 PM)Evilkinevil Wrote: Slightly off topic, but do they still do the circuit/pub tours during TT week?
Where you go round in a bus, get some commentary and stop off at various places round the circuit.

Something I would really like to book for my old man.

thanks
thanks for all the replies.
I like the sound of the circuit/pub tours, hope they're still on!!
03-04-2015, 12:50 PM
Find Reply
Steady the Edward Offline

Threads: 43
(15-03-2015, 10:42 PM)Baldy Gaz Wrote: Being a bus driver myself, the idea of spending my TT week travelling around on a bus would fill me with dread Icon_frown.  Saying that I suppose it beats walking from one side of the island to another.
The Coast to Coast walk from Douglas to Peel is a nice walk along the old railway track , and if I remember it right they are supposed to be going to upgrade the footpath to a cycle path some time soon be even better ,
05-04-2015, 11:04 PM
Find Reply