I dread to think
Steady the Edward Offline

Threads: 43
I dread to think
Isle of Man wallaby population 'increasing'

Jump media player
Media player help

Out of media player. Press enter to return or tab to continue.
The Wallabies escaped from a wildlife park in the 1970s

Continue reading the main story
Related Stories
The Isle of Man's wild wallaby population is gradually increasing, according to wildlife experts.
Manx Wildlife Trust director Duncan Bridges said there are now about 120 living in the north of the island.
The animals, which are native to Australia, have populated the Curragh since a pair escaped from a wildlife park in the 1970s.
Mr Bridges said: "Their numbers are gradually increasing because they have no predators or competitors."
He added: "They have quite happily established themselves on the island, they graze on grasslands, forage willow and young shrubs - basically they fill the niche filled in the UK by small deer.
"Normally they stay in the same area but there have been sightings in the south of the island so we know some individuals are travelling."
Although there has been no official wallaby head count, a few years ago the Manx population was thought to be at the 100 mark.

one of our marshals saw one crossing the course at Quarry Bends one day but would not call it in on the Radio for fear of being accused of being on the bear lol

11-03-2015, 10:26 PM
Find Reply
dommyman Offline
Perennial Contributor

Threads: 21
RE: I dread to think
A friend of mine said he saw one near Peel Campsite a few years ago, and we all laughed at him, and said he had been drinking too much.  Turns out, he was probably sober, and did see one !
11-03-2015, 11:24 PM
Find Reply
Stroller Offline

Threads: 14
BBCs Countryfile programme on Sunday March 22nd will contain an item on the IoM - including a piece on the wallabies
12-03-2015, 09:17 AM
Find Reply
c iom tt Offline

Threads: 16
They are normally very shy and easily scared, so the chances of seeing one are quite slim. The problem on race days is the roads become very quite, and the more likely they are to venture out.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you want something bad enough, you'll find a way. If you don't, you'll find an excuse
12-03-2015, 11:55 AM
Find Reply
Alfie Noakes Offline
Administrator

Threads: 13
How about we have a TT Wallaby Shoot, use a Subaru Forester as chase car and employ the marshals as "beaters".
12-03-2015, 11:13 PM
Find Reply

I hate Subaru's with a vengeance, If you are going to use one of them you can do your own drum beating

13-03-2015, 11:51 PM
Find Reply
AntG Offline

Threads: 3
It's a good job I have been informed of wallabies inhabiting the Isle of Man as if not and I had seen one I'd have ended up questioning my own sanity.
14-03-2015, 02:46 PM
Find Reply
Malcolm Offline
Administrator

Threads: 18,390
Wallabies on the Isle of Man

14-03-2015, 02:58 PM
Website Find Reply
serowmaster Offline

Threads: 4
(13-03-2015, 11:51 PM)Steady the Edward Wrote: I hate Subaru's with a vengeance, If you are going to use one of them you can do your own drum beating

or shoot the Subaru's instead Icon_lol

GETTING OLD IS MANDATORY FEELING OLD IS OPTIONAL smilie
14-03-2015, 03:19 PM
Find Reply
Amsterdam Offline

Threads: 1
(14-03-2015, 02:58 PM)Malcolm Wrote:
Wallabies on the Isle of Man

Nice one, links through to other interesting historic short films.

Whereas IOM has their Wallabies, we have our wolf. Norwegian skiing people have seen a pack of 5, we seem to have our ""lone"" wolf, it's been spotted up North and recently tried to gain access to an Action Store!! He'll be able to keep wandering so long so as he's no danger. We also have a particular owl attacking people, the area he or she resides at has people walking the streets with umbrella's up even when no rain, just make sure one doesn't get attacked.

Traffic accidents do happen in Aus and you see dead wallabies and 'roos alongside the road, but probably no day time hits, more night time accidents. I've been driving at night in Aus, you just see two bright lights nothing else and you'll know it's a roo... Bull bars that kill European push bike riders can be essential out there. (If only they'd been kept where needed...)

Further Dutch news, I landed a job!
14-03-2015, 03:30 PM
Find Reply
ian charlton Offline

Threads: 4
Well done on your new job front. Good luck with it.
14-03-2015, 03:48 PM
Find Reply
sticky Offline
Perennial Contributor

Threads: 39
Well done Amsterdam - I just got one too.  Start Monday Icon_biggrin
14-03-2015, 05:31 PM
Website Find Reply

That's good news then must be a relief for you two back in work at last , well done

15-03-2015, 12:27 AM
Find Reply
Amsterdam Offline

(14-03-2015, 05:31 PM)sticky Wrote: Well done Amsterdam - I just got one too.  Start Monday Icon_biggrin

Start Monday, yeah me too! Good luck ye!!!!
15-03-2015, 11:55 AM
Find Reply
Amsterdam Offline

(15-03-2015, 12:27 AM)Steady the Edward Wrote: That's good news then must be a relief for you two back in work at last , well done

It is too. But... with unemployment, never fear, it's never for ever, adaptability is key, although I must say I was asked by employer, which salary, how many days, which days, and all I brought up was accepted, free parking on offer too, that is very nice in Amsterdam. Turns out owner used to live there with his parents as he grew up so property has been in their hands all their life, which must have generated parking facilities/rights. Nice office, little garden at the back. Traffic jams on A1 but I'm used to that. I think after a few weeks it will feel as if I've never been unemployed.
15-03-2015, 12:00 PM
Find Reply
c iom tt Offline

Threads: 16
Great film!
Not seen that before, and really enjoyed it.
Thanks for the link Malcom!
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you want something bad enough, you'll find a way. If you don't, you'll find an excuse
15-03-2015, 10:21 PM
Find Reply