TT eateries
Evilkinevil Offline

Threads: 6
TT eateries
Even after 15 years of attending the TT, we always end up having issues geting somewhere to eat thats not takeaway and is not overly expensive.

Whats your favorite food on the Island? and does anyone have any recomendations?

There has a been a place on the front in Douglas, just along from Jaks that has done a TT carvery (£10 inc a pint I think) last few years has been decent.
16-03-2015, 01:14 PM
Find Reply
HammerHead Offline

Threads: 23
RE: TT eateries
My top three in 2014 were The Marine in Peel, The Italian Job next to the Villa Marina and The Raven in Ballaugh.

All were reasonably priced (I can't remember the exact prices but they were in the £20-25 bracket for two meals, a pint and a soft drink) with good portion sizes. The Okell's Ravensclaw at the Raven was also the best pint I had during the week.

"There is nothing so momentary as a sporting achievement, and nothing so lasting as the memory of it."
16-03-2015, 01:34 PM
Find Reply
dommyman Offline
Perennial Contributor

Threads: 21
(16-03-2015, 01:34 PM)HammerHead Wrote: My top three in 2014 were The Marine in Peel, The Italian Job next to the Villa Marina and The Raven in Ballaugh.

All were reasonably priced (I can't remember the exact prices but they were in the £20-25 bracket for two meals, a pint and a soft drink) with good portion sizes. The Okell's Ravensclaw at the Raven was also the best pint I had during the week.

Have to agree here, the Marine in Peel is great for a large meal, reasonably priced and quick service.  We always have a couple of visits there every time we go over.  It is very popular in the evenings of TT week though.
16-03-2015, 03:22 PM
Find Reply
Nasher Offline

Threads: 30
Marine & Raven also gets my vote but a favourite of mine for many years is Paparazzi s in Douglas.
16-03-2015, 04:37 PM
Find Reply
c iom tt Offline

Threads: 16
Paparazzi in Douglas just opposite Bushys tent is the best Italian on the Island, but can get very busy.
Same owners have the Buttery in Strand Street for breakfast.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you want something bad enough, you'll find a way. If you don't, you'll find an excuse
16-03-2015, 05:59 PM
Find Reply
bsa499 Offline

Threads: 48
I broke down near the Sulby Glen Hotel during practice at last year's Classic TT. The landlady very kindly invited me in and offered me food and drink. I didn't have anything to eat as I was so disappointed having retired but I saw what other customers were eating and it all looked really good, big portions too. They had some good ales on tap too (although I only had tea) we'll definitely be paying a visit this year to sample their fayre properly.
17-03-2015, 07:58 PM
Find Reply
Baldy Gaz Offline
Banned

Threads: 2
I remember a place opposite the villa mariner that served great food at good prices, I think it was called the ranch house or something like that. closed a year or two ago which was a great shame.
19-03-2015, 10:45 PM
Find Reply
c iom tt Offline

Threads: 16
(19-03-2015, 10:45 PM)Baldy Gaz Wrote: I remember a place opposite the villa mariner that served great food at good prices, I think it was called the ranch house or something like that. closed a year or two ago which was a great shame.
You are correct, It was called The Ranch. All wooden walls, seats and cowboy themed.
Another indication for the REDUCTION in TT visitors now compered to only as far back as 2000. Up till then there would be queuing  down Broadway to get a seat. In the last year it was open, you could walk in at anytime during the TT period and get a seat.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you want something bad enough, you'll find a way. If you don't, you'll find an excuse
19-03-2015, 11:47 PM
Find Reply
Steady the Edward Offline

Threads: 43
The Bugilow in various locations does a reasonable Stir Fry , very short opening hr's seating a little cramped in rush hr pre booking would be advised , just ignore the proprietor , a bit of a grumpy old git , but no one takes any notice of him so not a worry , lol

20-03-2015, 12:44 PM
Find Reply
captainsparkledotcom Offline

Threads: 364
(20-03-2015, 12:44 PM)Steady the Edward Wrote: The Bugilow in various locations does a reasonable Stir Fry   , very short opening hr's seating a little cramped in rush hr pre booking would be advised , just ignore the proprietor , a bit of a grumpy old git , but no one takes any notice of him so not a worry , lol

The waitress was very nice though, and the security guard had a pleasant temperament.
20-03-2015, 02:16 PM
Website Find Reply

Like it Sparks ha ha ha ha

20-03-2015, 09:10 PM
Find Reply
serowmaster Online

Threads: 4
the ranch was indeed very popular I was a frequent visitor at the TT and the MANX they served very tasty food, a big shame when it closed, and unfortunately it wasn't replaced with another eatery so its either a rubbish burger down the strand or you eat out of town Burger5  I go to peel and eat in the marine which is decent Icon_smile

GETTING OLD IS MANDATORY FEELING OLD IS OPTIONAL smilie
20-03-2015, 10:28 PM
Find Reply

Marshals discount at the one opposite the bus station, can't remember what they call it cheap and cheerful though

20-03-2015, 11:29 PM
Find Reply
Stroller Offline

Threads: 14
That'll be 'The Caff' Eddie - I'm looking at it now out of the office window
21-03-2015, 11:33 AM
Find Reply

That's the one Stroller , good old workers caff , not sure but wasn't it called something else a few years back ??

21-03-2015, 04:08 PM
Find Reply
serowmaster Online

Threads: 4
would that be the singing kettle eddy smilie

GETTING OLD IS MANDATORY FEELING OLD IS OPTIONAL smilie
22-03-2015, 07:31 PM
Find Reply
Azman Offline

Threads: 5
The Shore Hotel in Gansey, on a good day a nice ride out and back over the hills on the A36/27 to watch the racing at Ballacraine or on up to Kirk Michael via Peel. Not too pricey for the quality & outside seating beside the seaside! Also used the outside hose to wash bike last time there!

"Its turned out quite nice ....." Beer2
Riggsy
02-04-2015, 04:27 PM
Find Reply
ch108 Offline
Just Getting Started

Threads: 0
Capones I think its called on The Strand isn't bad. I think its open late during TT too. Can get busy but the service is fairly quick.

The other place is the Taj Mahal in Douglas if you like a curry. Its just off the prom after the Villa Marina, can't remember the name of the street though.

The cafe at Niarbyl used to be good, been a few years since I've been there. The only thing is, it's a long drive out to find they have no tables left. Which did happen to us!
08-04-2015, 10:08 PM
Find Reply
Baldy Gaz Offline
Banned

(08-04-2015, 10:08 PM)ch108 Wrote: Capones I think its called on The Strand isn't bad. I think its open late during TT too. Can get busy but the service is fairly quick.

The other place is the Taj Mahal in Douglas if you like a curry. Its just off the prom after the Villa Marina, can't remember the name of the street though.

The cafe at Niarbyl used to be good, been a few years since I've been there. The only thing is, it's a long drive out to find they have no tables left. Which did happen to us!

That Capones used to be quite good a few years ago. It had a decent menu during the TT and not just burgers. I think it changed hands then went right down hill. If you  want something other than burgers forget it.
13-04-2015, 09:03 PM
Find Reply
Baldy Gaz Offline
Banned

The caff is top notch, we go there straight off the boat for breakfast and the odd time for tea. Good food, quick service & dead cheap.
13-04-2015, 09:13 PM
Find Reply