FLIGHTS - BLACKPOOL IS BACK, AND IT’S NO APRIL FOOL!
Malcolm Offline
Administrator

Threads: 18,390
FLIGHTS - BLACKPOOL IS BACK, AND IT’S NO APRIL FOOL!
[Image: blackpoolfrontpromo.jpg]

Citywing will be reinstating double daily flights between the Isle of Man and Blackpool from 1st April 2015.

Following the sudden closure of Blackpool Airport last October, Citywing and the Airport owners have worked tirelessly to ensure that commercial flights can commence once again between Blackpool and the Isle of Man.

Managing Director at Citywing, David Buck, said:

‘We are so pleased by this positive conclusion to our negotiations with Blackpool and that it will be open once again for flights to the Isle of Man and Belfast from 1st April. We have remained committed to seeing this historic and vital air link to Blackpool reopen, and we are hugely satisfied to once again be able to offer this route to our customers.

‘We would like to extend our thanks to the UK Civil Aviation Authority and both Airports for their assistance in bringing these discussions and plans to a positive conclusion.

‘There is so much to see and do in Blackpool throughout the year. It is also a gateway to the North West and the very popular Lake District, Yorkshire and Cumbria areas. The Island will benefit hugely from this additional North West route as we welcome thousands of visitors from these regions every year.

‘Our “Blackpool Hopper” fares start from just £23.95 each way and are bookable online at citywing.com.

‘With 14 return journeys each week to choose from, we are delighted that the many thousands of passengers who have flown on this route previously will once again have a cheap and frequent lifeline air link between the communities of the Isle of Man and North-West England.’

Visit www.citywing.com for full information and to keep up to date with Citywing’s latest news.

Also follow Citywing on

Facebook:  www.facebook.com/CityWing

Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/Fly_Citywing

[Image: citywinglogo.jpg]
20-03-2015, 06:06 PM
Website Find Reply
Steady the Edward Offline

Threads: 43
RE: FLIGHTS - BLACKPOOL IS BACK, AND IT’S NO APRIL FOOL!
Has to be good news , some cheap flights there ,

(This post was last modified: 20-03-2015, 08:57 PM by Steady the Edward.)
20-03-2015, 08:57 PM
Find Reply
Stroller Offline

Threads: 14
Wouldn't catch me flying with them - even if it was free
21-03-2015, 08:53 AM
Find Reply
ericcane Offline
Perennial Contributor

Threads: 7
It depends what time of year you are flying when it says flights start from £23.95 each way.

As we live in Blackpool,last year we decided to fly over to the Classic TT/MGP.The cost for the return flights was about £60 each for two of us if I remember correctly.However,there was an extra charge per item of luggage(not an excess baggage charge which would be extra),and also there is an "airport development charge" of £10 per person which is levied by Balfour Beatty who operate the airport.The total cost came to something in the region of £200.

Is this good value for a 25 minute flight?For us,it was convenient,but it looks like it's back to the Mannannin this year.

If anybody is thinking of flying from Blackpool,I would say book as soon as you can as the planes that Citywing use only hold about 15 people and if there are to be 2 flights a day,demand will soon exceed supply. 
21-03-2015, 10:00 AM
Find Reply
Malcolm Offline
Administrator

[Image: nodevelopmentfeelogo.jpg]

Note: Just to clarify -  Citywing have stated that there is NO Airport Development Fee to pay if using their flights.

In my own personal experience with Small Carrier services, there is NO free baggage apart from "Carry On". 

Fares on the Ben or Mannanan also vary dependent upon the time of year you are traveling
(ie MGP and TT periods in particular, when the price increases dramatically).

And no I don't work for Citywing.
I am just a supporter of another service that will provide to people, another means for traveling to and from the Isle of Man.
21-03-2015, 02:46 PM
Website Find Reply
ericcane Offline
Perennial Contributor

Malcolm,I'm just stating the facts from last year.
I'm not trying to knock the airline,just saying that's it's not as cheap as what you would be led to believe.
21-03-2015, 07:07 PM
Find Reply
ericcane Offline
Perennial Contributor

P.S. I never said that Citywing charge the £10 development fee.That is down to the airport operators.But it's still go to be paid.

Having said that,if we can all go over to the best place on the planet,does it really  matter?
21-03-2015, 07:21 PM
Find Reply
Malcolm Offline
Administrator

I added the second post simply as in the original there was no mention of the Airport Development Charge.

As far as I am aware, there is NO Development Charge whatsoever for any flights out of Blackpool now. (However I stand to be corrected).

I don't know if the Free Parking is still going to be available for travelers.

Yes, I agree that while on the face of it, it is a good and cheap deal, it does not identify that the cheap fares are only for certain times and dates, while we all know that for the TT period in particular the prices will obviously be more than that as advertised, but that is advertising for you and as we are all aware, commonplace with practically every Small Carrier these days. (The Steam Packet operates in exactly the same way as we all know).

That is why I left the hyper-link through to their website so that any individual who may be interested can check out the quotations for their desired flights, themselves.

My own personal experiences with baggage allowances with other carriers, are that I have had to pay extortionate charges for a bag that was declared too big to take onboard as "Carry On". (The size limits seem to get smaller every year),  so nefarious charges for all types of Baggage, certainly appears to be commonplace practice.
(This post was last modified: 21-03-2015, 10:41 PM by Malcolm.)
21-03-2015, 10:28 PM
Website Find Reply
ericcane Offline
Perennial Contributor

There's an article in last night's local paper regarding the re-opening of the airport for commercial flights.Basically it contains the same statement by Citywing as already posted on here.
There's no mention of the development charge or free parking at the moment.If I hear anything about this,I'll post it on here.
22-03-2015, 09:01 AM
Find Reply
Stroller Offline

Threads: 14
(21-03-2015, 07:07 PM)ericcane Wrote: Malcolm,I'm just stating the facts from last year.
I'm not trying to knock the airline,just saying that's it's not as cheap as what you would be led to believe.

Citywing is not an airline - they are only a ticket seller
22-03-2015, 10:05 AM
Find Reply
ericcane Offline
Perennial Contributor

I always assumed that because the planes have the Citywing name on them,that was the name of the airline.

Don't know much about these things.Is it some sort of charter arrangement then?
22-03-2015, 10:33 AM
Find Reply
Malcolm Offline
Administrator

Taken form Wikipedia: (But you know how wrong that can be).

Citywing (a trading name of Citywing Aviation Services Limited) is an Isle of Man-based company that sells seats on scheduled air flights operated under charter from Van Air Europe.

Its head office is in Hangar 9 at Isle of Man Airport in Ballasalla.

On 1 January 2013 the assets of Manx2 were acquired by Citywing.

As of 10 April 2014, four Let L-410 Turbolet aircraft are painted in the Citywing livery operated by Van Air Europe on behalf of the company.

Van Air Europe Website - HERE
22-03-2015, 12:01 PM
Website Find Reply
ericcane Offline
Perennial Contributor

Cheers Malcolm.You learn something new every day.
22-03-2015, 12:41 PM
Find Reply
wsn03 Offline

Threads: 6
If this is the same crowd that ran Manx2 then like stroller I wouldn't fly with them either... not impressed with the way they washed their hands of the Cork incident, according to Radio 4 wouldn't even assist with flying the bodies home as I recall. If the same set up they are cleverly a booking agent posing as an airline.
24-03-2015, 12:29 PM
Find Reply
wsn03 Offline

Threads: 6
And in the interest of fairness and all that, I've found the link to the Radio 4 documentary - very enlightening indeed.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b010t6ym
24-03-2015, 12:43 PM
Find Reply
Malcolm Offline
Administrator

Citywing, as was Manx2 are "Ticket Sellers" and as such, only sell available seats on flights that are notified to them by the flight Operator. (However which way round that is arranged).

The Operator of the Flights(s), they contract to, must be licensed and insured as air carriers in accordance with the requirements of European Community law.

Those air carriers, who make available all the seats on each aircraft for Citywing to sell to their customers, are responsible for operating the aircraft, and providing crews, maintenance and insurance for the flights, including insurance against legal liability to passengers and for their baggage, according to those requirements. (Have a look at their website (About Us))

Manx2 were absolved of responsibility for the Cork air crash, and as was stated in the final report - "the prime causes of the accident were decisions made by the Flightline crew in adverse weather conditions, compounded by inappropriate crew rostering by the Operator and a significant lack of oversight by the Spanish air safety authority."

Whatever happened thereafter between the families of the unfortunate deceased and Manx2 was widely publicised at the time, and is not for repeating on here, as this takes this thread way off course from the initial and original post.

Malcolm.
24-03-2015, 01:44 PM
Website Find Reply