1952 Mobil Guide to TT - signed. Looking for info or offers
orbalisk Offline
Just Getting Started

Threads: 1
1952 Mobil Guide to TT - signed. Looking for info or offers
Hi everyone,

Firstly, apologies if I'm posting this in the wrong area, but I'm looking for some help on a programme I found when I was going through some old stuff belonging to my grandad:

Front

Back

It seems to be a guide to the TT, and an advert in the back suggests it's from 1952.

There are some signatures on the back, of which I've managed to decipher a few: Bill Lomas, Bill Doran, and Maurice Conn. So my first question is: can anyone tell me who the other signatures belong to?

Secondly, I was wondering how much it would be worth. I'm happy for people to send me offers by PM, but I'd also like to know the detail behind the programme, and the names if possible.

I'd be happy to upload more pictures if needed.

Thanks in advance.
28-03-2015, 02:48 PM
Find Reply
captainsparkledotcom Offline

Threads: 393
RE: 1952 Mobil Guide to TT - signed. Looking for info or offers
Jack Brett?

One of the McCandless clan?
03-04-2015, 12:37 AM
Website Find Reply
LouiseCarmena Offline

Threads: 2
(03-04-2015, 12:37 AM)captainsparkledotcom Wrote: Jack Brett?

Hi  I see you have had a reply, after having spoken to my mother from the Isle of Man as she use to know a number of the racers, she also came up with the same names as Brett and McCandless.  Good Luck with it.  This is what this great site is for, excellent communication Smile)
03-04-2015, 10:40 AM
Find Reply
captainsparkledotcom Offline

Threads: 393
(03-04-2015, 10:40 AM)LouiseCarmena Wrote:
(03-04-2015, 12:37 AM)captainsparkledotcom Wrote: Jack Brett?

Hi  I see you have had a reply, after having spoken to my mother from the Isle of Man as she use to know a number of the racers, she also came up with the same names as Brett and McCandless.  Good Luck with it.  This is what this great site is for, excellent communication Smile)

Indeed!
 the one remaining signature looks like '** Wilson' .
 Maybe if we could get Mr. Splashdown to have a look he could come up with confirmation!
03-04-2015, 11:23 PM
Website Find Reply
Splashdown Offline

Threads: 32
I saw the "Wilson", and I can only think that he was a Mobil Rep, as there were no top riders with that name.
I'd have to check database to see if there was a lesser light......for instance it could have been a local hero to the person obtaining the autographs.

Interesting seeing the names.
Bill Doran, I still speak to his widow Peggy. A works AJS rider, winning the 1952 Belgian GP. Crashed in the TT in 1951 perpetuating the name "Doran's Bend"
Cromie McCandless. Brother to Rex McCandless of Featherbed fame. Won the first 125cc TT, and the Ulster Grand Prix, the last on the Clady course, on a 500 Gilera.
Jack Brett. A Leeds lad, a big drinker, and a real trier on any race track, and was on the rostrum on works Nortons on more than one occasion. His brother Charlie Brett who also raced ran a fish shop in Leeds.
Maurice Cann. AS big Guzzi man who was supported by Austin Munks of MGP fame. Involved in one of the big dramas of post war TTs when the timekeepers allegedly made a mistake and declared Cann the winner over Manliff Barrington, (sponsored by Stanley Woods), in the 1950 Lightweight.
Bill Lomas, a top trials rider who won the 1954 Travers Trial, and was the first man to win four silver replicas in one week in 1955. He made his name on a home made Royal Enfield with four valve head in the late 40s at Cadwell Park. He was 350cc World Champion in 1956, but crashed early in 1957 and the collarbone never healed properly, (he had a healing problem), so retired there and then to run his motorcycle business in Clay Cross which is still run by son Tim.
04-04-2015, 10:43 AM
Find Reply