Kiyonari crashes out but still holds top spot
Malcolm Offline
Administrator

Threads: 18,390
Kiyonari crashes out but still holds top spot
[Image: kiyodonnyfp2.jpg]

Ryuichi Kiyonari held on to the top spot in the second MCE Insurance British Superbike Championship free practice at Donington Park this afternoon, despite a crash at Coppice in the second half of the session.

The Buildbase BMW rider was 0.010s ahead of 2014 title nemesis Shane 'Shakey' Byrne on the PBM Kawasaki as the positions shuffled in the closing ten minutes of the session. Byrne had overcome some issues from the morning session to move up the order as he begins his strive for five titles.

Kiyonari said:

"Lap by lap the feeling was getting better for me as we get more information. I am happy to be fastest, but disappointed that I crashed at the end again, but I am ok and there is not too much damage. It was a mistake but we have good speed, so we will push again tomorrow.

James Ellison posted his fastest lap towards the end of the session which fired him up into third position on the leading JG Speedfit Kawasakis. His team-mate James Westmoreland had been running inside the top five until the closing stages when he dropped to ninth place.

Billy McConnell put in an impressive performance to hold fourth place as the Smiths Racing team make their debut with the BMW in the Superbike class, narrowly ahead of Christian Iddon on the Bennetts Suzuki, who fought after a heavy cold to round out the top five.

Josh Brookes was the fastest of the Milwaukee Yamaha riders in sixth place with Stuart Easton in seventh. Howie Mainwaring set the eighth fastest time whilst Broc Parkes completed the top ten on the second of the Milwaukee Yamahas.

MCE Insurance British Superbike Championship, Donington Park, free practice two:

1: Ryuichi Kiyonari (Buildbase BMW) 1m 30.106s
2: Shane Byrne (PBM Kawasaki) +0.010s
3: James Ellison (JG Speedfit Kawasaki) +0.075s
4: Billy McConnell (Smiths BMW) +0.169s
5: Christian Iddon (Bennetts Suzuki) + 0.437
6: Josh Brookes (Milwaukee Yamaha) +0.604s
7: Stuart Easton (PBM Kawasaki) +0.642s
8: Howie Mainwaring (Quattro Plant Kawasaki) +0.694s
9: James Westmoreland (JG Speedfit Kawasaki) +0.704s
10: Broc Parkes (Milwaukee Yamaha) +0.838s

[Image: bsblogo.jpg]
04-04-2015, 08:20 PM