Destination Austin for Team Estrella Galicia 0,0 Marc VDS
Malcolm Offline
Administrator

Threads: 18,390
Destination Austin for Team Estrella Galicia 0,0 Marc VDS
[Image: marcvdshdr.jpg]

Team Estrella Galicia 0,0 Marc VDS head west to the United States this week, for the second round of the 2015 Moto2 World Championship at the Circuit of the Americas in Austin, Texas.

For Moto2 rookie Álex Márquez the opening race of the season in Qatar was something of a step into the unknown, but the 18-year-old Spaniard marked his debut for Team Estrella Galicia 0,0 Marc VDS with a solid points scoring finish in 11th place. The reigning Moto3 World Champion heads to the Circuit of the Americas looking to continue his familiarisation with the Kalex Moto2 machine; with a top ten finish his ultimate goal in Sunday’s 19-lap Moto2 race.

Tito Rabat heads to Texas determined to get his title defence back on track, having crashed out of the opening race in Qatar after just three laps following a collision with Simone Corsi. The reigning Moto2 World Champion has twice finished second at the Circuit of the Americas, but heads into the second round of the 2015 season determined to go one better and aiming for the top step of the podium.

The Circuit of the Americas was the first purpose built Grand Prix circuit in the United States and is one of the most varied on the MotoGP calendar. The 5.531km track features fast straights linked by slow and fast corners, most of which were inspired by famous turns from around the world. The track’s most distinctive feature, however, is the elevation change of 41 metres at the end of the main straight, with the sharp incline leading into the tight left-hander at turn one.

Álex Márquez

“I learnt a lot in my first Moto2 race in Qatar, so we head to Austin with a clear understanding of where we need to improve, not just in the race but also in qualifying. The Circuit of the Americas didn’t really suit my riding style on the Moto3 bike last season, but with twice the power I think the Moto2 bike will be very different indeed. The first sector is critical to a good lap time, so we need to find a good compromise with the set up between agility – allowing the bike to quickly change direction at high speed – and stability under braking, as this is one of the areas we know we need to improve. My motivation is high and I’m looking forward to the weekend ahead.”

Tito Rabat

“We head to Austin knowing we have the pace to run at the front, but I need to remember this in the race. In Qatar I maybe made some mistakes; I saw Lowes and Zarco going away on the opening lap and I pushed too hard, too early. In Austin I need to use the opening laps to find a good rhythm and only then start to push, as this is what worked for me last season. The first time we raced in Austin I finished second and it was the same last year. Hopefully, this time around, I can go one better and fight for the win. That’s the goal, anyway.”

Michael Bartholemy: Team Principal

“This weekend Álex just needs to continue with the same approach he used in Qatar, working to improve his feeling with the bike during practice and qualifying and then riding another intelligent race. If he can do this, and I’m confident he can, then a top ten finish on Sunday is definitely possible. Tito can’t afford to make any mistakes this weekend if he is to get his title defence back on track. Unforced errors cost him dear in Qatar and he was lucky that his main title rivals also suffered with bad luck in the race. In Texas he needs to reassert his authority on the championship with a trouble free weekend and a podium finish on Sunday.”

08-04-2015, 02:01 PM
Website Find Reply