European season opener approaches for Voltcom Crescent Suzuki
Malcolm Offline
Administrator

Threads: 18,390
European season opener approaches for Voltcom Crescent Suzuki
[Image: voltcombsblogo.jpg]

Voltcom Crescent Suzuki heads to Aragon in Spain this week as Alex Lowes and Randy de Puniet prepare for their first 2015 World Superbike race on European soil.

Looking to capitalise on his podium-securing pace, shown consistently throughout the last round in Thailand two weeks ago, Lowes is eager to continue the progression on his Yoshimura-powered GSX-R. With a year’s worth of knowledge and two races at the Motorland circuit under his belt, the British racer is determined to improve on the positions from his rookie appearance and reaffirm his challenge on the Championship frontrunners.

De Puniet’s season starts afresh at the Teruel track, having overcome the injury sustained during testing at Phillip Island in February. A regular at the circuit throughout his long-standing career – the Frenchman last raced here in 2013 and completed testing duties midway through 2014 – this week will see his first visit to Aragon aboard the Suzuki GSX-R1000 and he has his sights set on regaining his confidence on European shores.

Motorland Aragon’s 5,078m circuit is located approximately 250kms from Barcelona and 100kms from the region’s capitol of Zaragoza, in the heart of the historic street-racing area of Alcaniz. The circuit itself provides a combination of four Herman Tilke designed track layouts, while the overall complex merges technology, sport and culture within its vast facility. The FIM designated layout runs anti-clockwise and presents the World Championship with seventeen corners and countless undulations as it twists its way across the Spanish hills, providing an exciting challenge for the Superbike racers as they showcase the best machines the production class has to offer.

The Championship’s third round also heralds the deadline for the ECU development programme under the 2015 rule changes, with all systems used in competition for the Spanish outing being employed for the remainder of the season. Voltcom Crescent Suzuki will use Aragon to introduce the GSX-R’s switch from MoTeC to Magneti Marelli electronics for 2015.

Voltcom Crescent Suzuki’s opening timed-for-qualifying practice commences at 11:15hrs local time (10:15BST) on Friday 10th April with the second outing on track at 15:00hrs (14:00BST). Saturday’s Superpole qualifying will take place at 15:00hrs local time (14:00BST) with Sunday’s races returning to the European schedule of 10:30hrs (09:30BST) and 13:10hrs (12:10BST).

Alex Lowes:

“I’m looking forward to Aragon and we’ll continue to work hard step-by-step. We plan to have the new Magneti Marelli electronics so that may throw up some problems as we work through any new setup issues, but we have to approach it with a calm, clear mind and get the most from the weekend that we can. I can’t wait to ride my Suzuki again so I know I’m going to keep having fun, enjoy it and do the best I can come race day!”

Randy de Puniet:

“We have two important races coming up back-to-back, but I think they can be two good races for us. I know the Aragon track well from my MotoGP™ career, and I really enjoy the circuit. This year the SBK Championship is using the final corner layout as used in GP so for me this is good as I have experience of this layout and I don’t need to learn anything. Unfortunately I am not at 100%, as I had wished to be, after falling ill with a fever in Thailand which is still affecting me, but I am hoping to feel better ready for the race weekend. We have not had much luck so far this year, so I am hoping to start my season again, we have two days testing at Calafat which will be good training for me just a week before the event, so I’m confident and will give my best for the weekend’s two races.”
08-04-2015, 02:12 PM
Website Find Reply