Steam Packet - Marshal's Priority Booking
Nev14 Offline

Threads: 1
RE: Steam Packet - Marshal's Priority Booking
(27-04-2015, 02:36 PM)c iom tt Wrote: How many none Island based Marshals are there? 2/300? that wont make much of a difference to the booking system.
I will bet as the build up to the selling off of the TT gathers pace, the Marshalls goody bags/ freebys will start to increase.

See earlier post was told just under 500 would qualify for priority bookings.
27-04-2015, 10:01 PM
Find Reply
c iom tt Offline

Threads: 16
The requirment to earn the priority sailing is to have marshalled 5 or more in 2014.
That means that 'just under' 500 non Manx Resident marshalled at 5 or more sessions last year.
Does anyone know for a FACT how many marshalls signed on and turned up to marshall last year, and of those, how many were Manx residents?
I would be very suprised if the none Manx marshalls who turned up was anywhere near 500 especially for practice week.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you want something bad enough, you'll find a way. If you don't, you'll find an excuse
27-04-2015, 10:44 PM
Find Reply
HammerHead Offline

Threads: 23
Not a definite fact, but I think I've read before that the number of individuals marshalling in any given year is around 1,500.

If that is the case then around a third were non locals who did 5 or more sessions. I think we ought to also bear in mind that the weather last year meant that Mad Sunday was the only day of race week without racing (6 different days) which would enable some over only for race week to get in the five sessions which they might not have done in an 'ordinary' year, perhaps inflating the numbers.

Again if the 1,500 figure is correct that leaves around 1,000 (probably more in a fine weather year) who either marshalled less than 5 sessions or are local (or both). My mindset opinion of marshals is that the non-locals probably do all sessions that they are on the island for which, would skew the numbers in favour of locals (but that is purely hypothesis and definitely not fact).

Happy for anyone to put me right with some facts.

EDIT: The TTMA website suggests around 1,200 so my theory above would be around 700 locals and those doing less than 5 sessions not 1,000.
http://www.iomttma.com/index.php?option=...&Itemid=16

"There is nothing so momentary as a sporting achievement, and nothing so lasting as the memory of it."
(This post was last modified: 28-04-2015, 10:00 AM by HammerHead.)
28-04-2015, 09:56 AM
Find Reply
Nev14 Offline

RE: BOOKINGS TO OPEN FOR 2016 TT SAILINGS WITH THE ISLE OF MAN STEAM PACKET
Just checked the online bookings on the Steam Packet site and delighted to see that my first choice priority booking for marshals for 2016 is there waiting for the £50 deposit to be paid.
18-05-2015, 08:41 PM
Find Reply
Andy from Kazakhstan Offline

Threads: 4
(18-05-2015, 08:41 PM)Nev14 Wrote: Just checked the online bookings on the Steam Packet site and delighted to see that my first choice priority booking for marshals for 2016 is there waiting for the £50 deposit to be paid.

Thanks for the heads up Nev, just checked my account but my 2016 priority booking is not, as yet, showing, I'll have to contact them tomorrow.

See you in just over 2 weeks?
(This post was last modified: 18-05-2015, 10:35 PM by Andy from Kazakhstan.)
18-05-2015, 10:34 PM
Find Reply
Nev14 Offline

Hope you get more sense out of them than I did last week when I made an enquiry about when we would know about our priority bookings.
18-05-2015, 10:57 PM
Find Reply
maybolezx12r Offline

Threads: 28
Were still waiting on the Marshalls office getting back to us as to why we didnt get a priority booking form........may be a long wait!

P

Mountain Marshal from 2013 Icon_biggrin
19-05-2015, 08:04 AM
Find Reply
Smidsy Offline
Orange Army - Windy Corner

Just checked, mine is there in my account as well.
I was waiting for an email from them to confirm, oh well all sorted for next year now. So no messing about on the Monday of practice week.
"I stole these views from the cools kids, so I could fit in."
You don’t stop riding because you’re getting old, you get old because you stop riding
19-05-2015, 09:03 AM
Find Reply
Steady the Edward Offline

Threads: 43
was it limited to just so many ?? I seam to remember reading somewhere that 500 places on the prime sailings were to be made available , if that is true could it be that they are not contacting as they have filled the quota , could be wrong just a thought , and you would have thought that it would have been courteous to let you know

19-05-2015, 12:11 PM
Find Reply
Nev14 Offline

Eddy I was told before the priority bookings scheme became into the public domain that 480 or thereabouts had been indentified as being eligible. That of course relied on the accuracy of the returns that the TTMA had from the manning lists of 2014.
19-05-2015, 02:47 PM
Find Reply

Like I said Nev I can't remember just what it was or where I read it , but I had it in my mind that it was in the area of 500 places that had been earmarked reserved or whatever and i could well see how there will be many many more than that wanting to take advantage of the scheme but there we go , it could end up with as many being disappointed as ones that have benefited lets just hope that they don't get a backlash from the disappointed , being that disappointed they turn their backs on it , mmm interesting times ahead me thinks , on the face of it a good thing but with the ability to have a sting in the tail me wonders ?? time will be of the telling , not that it is something that will affect me , or even would have, had it been running over the last 5 years but before that when I had to go to work it would have been a big help for sure

19-05-2015, 04:52 PM
Find Reply
Nev14 Offline

Eddy I think you heard the numbers quoted on here as I have posted about the number involved on here before!!
19-05-2015, 06:05 PM
Find Reply
BRADDAN OAK Offline

Threads: 21
I AGREE WITH WHAT YOU SAID EDDIE, NAME AND SHAME THEM THAT TAKE ADVANTAGE OF THE PRIORITY SP BOOKINGS TO MARSHAL, THEN DONT TURN UP. I'M SURE THAT A FEW WILL TRY IT ON.

19-05-2015, 07:46 PM
Find Reply

I don't think itcwill be a problem as it is a year in arrears they have to earn their position two years before they get it

20-05-2015, 12:11 AM
Find Reply
maybolezx12r Offline

(19-05-2015, 07:46 PM)BRADDAN OAK Wrote: I AGREE WITH WHAT YOU SAID EDDIE, NAME AND SHAME THEM THAT TAKE ADVANTAGE OF THE  PRIORITY SP BOOKINGS TO MARSHAL, THEN DONT TURN UP. I'M SURE THAT A FEW WILL TRY IT ON.

"Your sure there will be a few that try it on" dont see how that can happen my wife and i marshalled everyday of race week in 2014 as there was a few emergency days and we dont qualify for it by the look of it so i dont know where your coming from!!!!!!!!!!

20-05-2015, 08:40 AM
Find Reply
Smidsy Offline

(20-05-2015, 08:40 AM)maybolezx12r Wrote:
(19-05-2015, 07:46 PM)BRADDAN OAK Wrote: I AGREE WITH WHAT YOU SAID EDDIE, NAME AND SHAME THEM THAT TAKE ADVANTAGE OF THE  PRIORITY SP BOOKINGS TO MARSHAL, THEN DONT TURN UP. I'M SURE THAT A FEW WILL TRY IT ON.

"Your sure there will be a few that try it on" dont see how that can happen my wife and i marshalled everyday of race week in 2014 as there was a few emergency days and we dont qualify for it by the look of it so i dont know where your coming from!!!!!!!!!!

Have the office said you don't quality, or just not got back to you? ie reading your comment it seems you are assuming you don't quality? 
Not great if they just haven't come back to you, but understandable to a degree at this time of year as there are bigger things to get done in the grand scheme of things, (but that said I appreciate getting there next year is pretty big in the grand scheme of things to you and the boss).

I'd ask Lynton to check his book from last year to see what he put on his sheets when you see him.
Also may be worth asking when you pick up your pack, if emergency sessions were included, or was it just the planned sessions, (seems strange if emergency sessions arent though).

Just checking, but didn't you also marshall somewhere else last year as well, it wasnt all at Windy with us was it. If so you just may have been marked down as someone else as that DSM wouldn't have known you as well as Lynton did.

See you in a couple of weeks.
You don’t stop riding because you’re getting old, you get old because you stop riding
20-05-2015, 09:43 AM
Find Reply
maybolezx12r Offline

Yeah just assumig as i havent heard back from teh lady in the office.Yip we were also at Guthries a few days.

See you soon

Paul

20-05-2015, 12:26 PM
Find Reply
canamant Offline

What is classed as a session ? Practice night classed as one, race day classed as 2 for marshals. Will this be carried over to the Manx Grand prix as well ?
20-05-2015, 01:09 PM
Find Reply

one thing that could come out of this is some one not deemed as eligible because the DSM was one of the ones that did not fill the log in correctly ( and it happens ) but hay lets not knock it , it is one of the most helpful things to be offered to marshals if it runs as it should ,in as long as long as I can remember

20-05-2015, 01:53 PM
Find Reply
Smidsy Offline

(20-05-2015, 12:26 PM)maybolezx12r Wrote: Yeah just assumig as i havent heard back from teh lady in the office.Yip we were also at Guthries a few days.

See you soon

Paul

Just sent you a PM Paul.
20-05-2015, 03:50 PM
Find Reply