Conker Trees
Evilkinevil-15 Offline

Threads: 4
Conker Trees
Can anyone give us directions and parking for viewing at 'the conker trees' preferably on the outside of the course.

Been reading that this is a good viewing spot and think we'll try this year rather than our usual.

Thanks

EK
29-04-2015, 12:49 PM
Find Reply
HammerHead Offline

Threads: 23
RE: Conker Trees
It is a good place. We went on Friday of practice week last year. Parking was free in the field marked here on Google maps but was inside the course. Bikes were parked on the road by the church.

Viewing was free in practice week but there was a charge in race week (can't remember how much from the sign). Portaloos on site and a large gazebo/tent to sell food but these were not operational when we were there - set up for race week I think.

You can see the view from some of my photos in the countdown thread (the last photo posted today for one).

Some people (not many but some) were watching from the field on the opposite side of the road. Not sure if they were local or walked from Silly Moos campsite or somewhere else.

"There is nothing so momentary as a sporting achievement, and nothing so lasting as the memory of it."
29-04-2015, 01:24 PM
Find Reply
c iom tt Offline

Threads: 16
If you are going to watch from the outside of the course, watch out for the heard of cows. They are very inquisitive and will come right up to you to see what is going on. I have watch many a time people doing a runner, much to the ammusment of the crowd opposite.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you want something bad enough, you'll find a way. If you don't, you'll find an excuse
29-04-2015, 01:36 PM
Find Reply
cregnybaa Offline

Threads: 9
(29-04-2015, 01:36 PM)c iom tt Wrote: If you are going to watch from the outside of the course, watch out for the heard of cows. They are very inquisitive and will come right up to you to see what is going on. I have watch many a time people doing a runner, much to the ammusment of the crowd opposite.

They must have been townies Icon_lol
29-04-2015, 01:46 PM
Find Reply
HammerHead Offline

Threads: 23
Cows are inquisitive. One did approach while we were watching. There was only one chap in the vicinity. He ignored the cow and the cow pretty much ignored him.

I found it mildly amusing that the cow wandered over to 'watch the bikes' (literally came up to the fence and poked it's head over facing the road) and expected the noise to scare it off but they must be used to it.

"There is nothing so momentary as a sporting achievement, and nothing so lasting as the memory of it."
29-04-2015, 01:54 PM
Find Reply
c iom tt Offline

Threads: 16
It is a big field opposite, and when most people hop over the fence to get a speck to watch, the cows are nowhere to be seen. I watch two guys last year who were so peocupied with the racing that they did not see the cows approaching from behind. One cow came up right behind one of them and gave them a nudge with it nose. The pair of them went into 'Keystone Cops' mode as they tried to get away whilst trying to pick up all there gear. The cow just looked at them as if to say ' whats wrong with these pair of lunatics'
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you want something bad enough, you'll find a way. If you don't, you'll find an excuse
29-04-2015, 02:29 PM
Find Reply
canamant Offline

Threads: 1
I think the cows are used to people and some people are used to cows.    Last year there was a picture of a marshal wisping off a new born calf who was struggling to get free.  Great picture that was.
29-04-2015, 06:17 PM
Find Reply
JAT Offline

Threads: 5
We watched there for the first time last year, awesome spot!! There is a back road that enables you to park up and walk through the Silly Moo campsite, I forget the name but if I can find my map I will post the info. I walked up and poked my head round the conker tree itself during the Senior and it looks like the bikes are going to hit you!! Micky D, Guy and 2 others were in tandem( I cant remember who else to my shame) and I looked right into their eyes, I haven't viewed anywhere else that illustrates the speed, noise and bravery of the boys better!! Thinking back I think it was John and Bruce with them but I am probably wrong. JAT
30-04-2015, 01:40 PM
Find Reply
Ramblinrob Offline
Just Getting Started

Threads: 0
(29-04-2015, 01:24 PM)HammerHead Wrote: It is a good place. We went on Friday of practice week last year. Parking was free in the field marked here on Google maps but was inside the course. Bikes were parked on the road by the church.

Viewing was free in practice week but there was a charge in race week (can't remember how much from the sign). Portaloos on site and a large gazebo/tent to sell food but these were not operational when we were there - set up for race week I think.

You can see the view from some of my photos in the countdown thread (the last photo posted today for one).

Some people (not many but some) were watching from the field on the opposite side of the road. Not sure if they were local or walked from Silly Moos campsite or somewhere else.

Yes, there is a charge on race week, but pretty sure the proceeds go to charity (TT charity?)
Field must belong to 'Silly Moos' camping, they organise and provide the food and drink.

My 1st year @ 'Silly Moos' last year, back again this year, camping + loos and showers obviously, a big covered yard with numerous tables and benches, 13A sockets for charging mobiles and computers, breakfasts and evening meals, fridge and kettles, WI-FI, and this year a big TV for the ITV4 TV coverage I'm told.
And only 4 weeks away now.
02-05-2015, 12:46 PM
Find Reply
Revvin rich Online

Threads: 70
Its a really good spot to watch from plenty of room as well you can hear them coming for miles and then all of sudden they burst into view awesome.!!
08-05-2015, 12:33 PM
Find Reply