Roy Mooreisms
DBD 34 Offline

Threads: 20
RE: Roy Mooreisms
Needs to be put out to grass along with the other amateur commentators......
06-06-2017, 12:03 AM
Find Reply
HammerHead Offline

Threads: 23
Roy's constant use of the word "certainly" has become quite annoying this year. Once you notice it it just grates more and more. That said he is part of the TT 'furniture' and gives those of us who can't make it over this year something familiar to cling onto.

"There is nothing so momentary as a sporting achievement, and nothing so lasting as the memory of it."
06-06-2017, 11:31 AM
Find Reply
DBD 34 Offline

Done my head in for years with his use of the word "distinctive" and "up towards the Water Works"
And then the other idiots start using it as well..
We were spoilt years ago with the likes of Peter Kneale, Geoff Cannell, Fred Clark and Tommy Robb, all knowledgeable motorcycle people. Surely there are professional motorcycle commentators out there, yes it would cost but who cares.
Personally I would like to see Keith Huewan at Grandstand, maybe Jack Burnicle at Glen Helen (under strict instructions not to use the word "distinctive") heard him use it quite a bit in BSB lately. And Fred Clark back at the Hairpin.
06-06-2017, 01:14 PM
Find Reply
RedlineRick Offline
Cotton Top

Threads: 1
"Roy's constant use of the word "certainly"

I think the start of the Roy Moorisms thread (thanks FOZ) now a decade old was to cure Roy's penchant towards the use of "tremendyus" & "absolutely tremendous".

Sadly to say it worked   Icon_cry

Wait till he gets really excited and slips into the native tongue!   Icon_biggrin
"A few yrs ago they screwed up a perfectly good working website just because they want to be 'modern' and now we have a sluggish ugly problematic and feature lacking website. but hey, its modern..., old sites are always better".
06-06-2017, 02:05 PM
Find Reply
RedlineRick Offline
Cotton Top

"amateur commentators" ?

I take it as most all the radio commentators are settled in, (IMO) that your referring to Cam Donald on the TV?

Well if'a you get your Strip Clubs geared up on the IOM ya just may get Mick Doohan class for an announcer!

Gimmefive
"A few yrs ago they screwed up a perfectly good working website just because they want to be 'modern' and now we have a sluggish ugly problematic and feature lacking website. but hey, its modern..., old sites are always better".
06-06-2017, 02:17 PM
Find Reply
dommyman Offline
Perennial Contributor

Threads: 21
A silly thing that gets up my nose with Roy, is when he says "The gap is 2.8 seconds, we'll call that 3"  Why does he insist on rounding up the figures, it's as though he thinks we don't know what parts of a second mean. Maybe it's just me, but he does it too often for my liking.
06-06-2017, 02:53 PM
Find Reply
sticky Offline
Perennial Contributor

Threads: 39
A fellow photographer pointed the 'certainly' thing out to me a few years ago...It's all I hear now (Thank you Richard!). Seriously, someone needs a quiet word about it with him. He just uses the word out of habit as a sort of verbal punctuation mark.
06-06-2017, 04:55 PM
Website Find Reply
TTNeb Offline

Threads: 4
He isn't the only person to use a specific word ascaps punctuation mark...
You know
Absolutely

Etc
Everything will be alright in the end. And if it's not alright, it's not yet the end.

06-06-2017, 08:39 PM
Find Reply
Alfie Noakes Offline
Administrator

Threads: 13
Roy Moore's Mountain Memories ...  EP1 Home is where the Hairpin is - is on youtube for all you dedicated avid fans.
(This post was last modified: 07-06-2017, 08:30 AM by Alfie Noakes.)
07-06-2017, 08:29 AM
Find Reply
RedlineRick Offline
Cotton Top

aaaayup,  Haven't got to the the Mountain Memories yet, have you seen the Guy Martin fan vid interview yet?
Here's a spoiler.

yea where are we? what day is it? (looks at watch)  but all's OK as "Me & Nige our having a whale of a time"...
(Nige been for a swim'in lesson).

DAFT...

Just heard on the radio that the exclusive 'Roy Moore Fan Club' is on the island.

Last night I was going through the recorded segments of 'Super Saturday' practice to see if they were all in proper order before I deleted them off the server.

Had the headphones on for a close listen...  my head almost hit the keyboard...

"One's these big Suzuki comes towards us, but that is a BMW..."

"use to be a cute corner"

Completely murdered Masayuki Yamanaka pronunciation, an FOZ you'll love this,  "an certainly ah the pep,,perfor,, the pep pep,,preparatiom of that machine..."

Icon_biggrin Icon_biggrin Icon_biggrin
07-06-2017, 10:06 AM
Find Reply
TTNeb Offline

Liked the one he made his morning about the amount of twigs cleared that would make a few crow's nests.
Everything will be alright in the end. And if it's not alright, it's not yet the end.

07-06-2017, 04:40 PM
Find Reply
TTNeb Offline

*this*

Struggling with edit button on my phone

07-06-2017, 04:43 PM
Find Reply
RedlineRick Offline
Cotton Top

Just now as the leaders in TTZero race get to Ramsey, "The Bream has been broken"

Icon_lol
09-06-2017, 12:31 PM
Find Reply
AndyL Offline

Threads: 2
Roy just saying in his closing comments something like "don't know whether we're going to be here next year." What's that about then, thinking about retiring? Or expecting to be retired?
09-06-2017, 06:43 PM
Find Reply
Rednine Offline

Threads: 5
I've really enjoyed reading all the contributed Mooreisms and listened to his commentary today paying even greater attention than normal. Keep it up chaps.

Smoke me a kipper...........................I'll be back for breakfast Icon_wink
09-06-2017, 06:53 PM
Find Reply
DBD 34 Offline

Had to laugh today when RM tried to pronounce the name of the guy behind the original Paton: Aparently "it was the brainchild of Gresseppi Burpeppy" whoever he was........
06-06-2018, 11:24 PM
Find Reply
b5070 Offline

I'm stuck in Austin Texas, in 100F+ heat, having to get up at 4.30am to get the old coal fired computer fired up, and listen to Manx Radio TT -  turn the volume up, and go back to bed and listen in! Yes - yes, the "Certainly" comment has got out of hand, and maybe someone should actually mention it to him?
Still, being many thousands of miles away - yet feeling I'm there, watching Live Timing - and hearing commentary (even if it's perhaps not the best!) is a blessing. When I think back to the 'dark years' - when, unless there was a tragedy that became Worldwide news - I had to wait weeks, to get my MCN mailed to me, to read the news.
I've not missed anything this year - and as news of Dan's (RIP) tragedy was 'unfolding', after the red flag, was PM'ing on Facebook with a close friend in Jurby - when he pointed out who had not made it to Ramsey. We feared the worse - and of course, knew it was Dan. More 'wonders of modern science' again.
Things are happening so fast these days (with the sub 17m laps etc) that it's enough to make anyone's head spin, and bless old Roy for at least trying to keep up with the times.
In all - I'm chuffed to hear as much as we've got. Sure, I do sort of miss Peter Kneale/Geoff Cannell - but think the current crew are CERTAINLY doing a pretty good job! Roll on Friday, and let's see if every race  breaks at least one record. What an amazing year it's been --- so far!
07-06-2018, 05:27 AM
Find Reply
Rednine Offline

Threads: 5
I agree with the above well made points and I'm also happy and amused with Moorisms, we still need "One offs"

Smoke me a kipper...........................I'll be back for breakfast Icon_wink
07-06-2018, 10:14 AM
Find Reply
ago/mh1967 Offline

Threads: 3
Like him or not, you can`t help but be impressed with his knowledge, memories and stories. IMHO I think he`s great and it will be a sad day if/when he leaves the commentary box.
....today is the tomorrow that you worried about yesterday.
07-06-2018, 02:43 PM
Find Reply
AntG Offline

Threads: 3
I remember several years ago when William Dunlop was riding number 15 and as he approached the hairpin Roy got all muddled up.

"and here comes number fut...fit...fus..er William Dunlop"

I like the guy to be honest, can take or leave the rest but who would you replace them with? I don't get the love for Huewen, his commentary has ruined MotoGP for me, he was dreadful when he used to do the TT review DVD's, verbal diarrhoea springs to mind!
15-06-2018, 01:19 PM
Find Reply