watching race from the mountain
rubyhorse Offline

Threads: 5
watching race from the mountain
this is only our second year at the TT and having the car last year we didnt use much public transport.

We'd really like to get up the mountain on the railway this year, was wondering if you guys can offer some pre- travel advise.

1. We're staying in Douglas, best way to get to Laxey, bike or electric tram?
2. Whats at the top? amenities, food, drink, etc?
3. Is it even sensible to spend a day up the mountain to watch the racing?

i know we could probably find all this out once we are there but i like to plan things in advance Smile

thanks 
13-05-2015, 12:10 PM
Find Reply
Steady the Edward Offline

Threads: 43
RE: watching race from the mountain
From Douglas tram all the way top job a must do once thing loved it when we did it , full restaurant at the top now I believe but not been to it myself so do not know what hrs they are open , but some friends of mine that live on the Island were up there for a meal the other week and said it was nice , for the racing on a nice warm day it is a great place to watch from , again should be on your must do list

13-05-2015, 12:26 PM
Find Reply
HammerHead Offline

Threads: 23
We watched from the mountain (the Bungalow as it happens) last year - our first TT. As it was practice week the mountain railway didn't run in the evenings so we parked up at the Bungalow station. We then drove cross country to Sulby after practice rather than wait for the mountain road to re-open.

On a separate day we took the railway to the top but Mananan's cloak was in full force. We arrived at the top, had a meal in the café and then took the same train back down again as there was nothing to see within the 20ft of visibility!

We really enjoyed watching from the Bungalow - in practice week at least there was plenty of room to move about (cross the road via the footbridge) and get a few different angles to watch from. It helps that it was a lovely sunny afternoon/evening.

"There is nothing so momentary as a sporting achievement, and nothing so lasting as the memory of it."
13-05-2015, 12:27 PM
Find Reply
captainsparkledotcom Offline

Threads: 393
The weather determines whether (or not) we head for the mountain.
Fantastic on a nice day, you can walk a long way up and down the course, to get different views, or just stay at the Bungalow for tea/food/toilets.
13-05-2015, 01:08 PM
Website Find Reply
Yamanx Offline

Threads: 12
Take a coat, it can be pretty chilly up there, even on a sunny day the wind can be biting. There is a good scope to move around up there, take some good walking boots with you Smile

You can cross the road in a number of places, there are culverts that carry small streams every now and again and they're easy to walk though. If you like a walk, you can watch from just about anywhere up there that isn't restricted during roads closed.

A good bet is to cross the foot bridge at The Bungalow, walk in the direction of the course, on the inside to the 32nd, also Windy corner is just down the hill Smile

"By all means think yourself big, but never think others small........."  R.F. Scott
13-05-2015, 01:58 PM
Find Reply
rubyhorse Offline

cheers all some good info there, think we'll def put it on the list if the weather is nice.

Out of interest, what times are we looking at for it all being closed up there? ie what time does the train close and re-open?
13-05-2015, 02:09 PM
Find Reply
HammerHead Offline

Threads: 23
The mountain closes an hour earlier than the rest of the course to allow them to get the cones collected.

The day we went it was closed even earlier than that due to an RTC although there was still access from Sulby until the official TT road closure.

EDIT: It also re-opens an hour later to get the cones put out again.

"There is nothing so momentary as a sporting achievement, and nothing so lasting as the memory of it."
(This post was last modified: 13-05-2015, 03:27 PM by HammerHead.)
13-05-2015, 03:26 PM
Find Reply
Revvin rich Offline

Threads: 71
on a sunny day there is nowhere better plenty of room to watch from, food and toilets as well ,not been up top for a few years so don,t know what its like these days but its a must thing to do enjoy it !.
13-05-2015, 04:07 PM
Find Reply
Stroller Offline

Threads: 14
(13-05-2015, 02:09 PM)rubyhorse Wrote: cheers all some good info there, think we'll def put it on the list if the weather is nice.

Out of interest, what times are we looking at for it all being closed up there? ie what time does the train close and re-open?

Mountain railway timetable is HERE

Electric Railway timetable is HERE
(This post was last modified: 13-05-2015, 04:09 PM by Stroller.)
13-05-2015, 04:08 PM
Find Reply
scaramanga Offline

Threads: 25
my advice would be bus to instead of electric railway to meet up with the tram up the mountain the electric railway from douglas takes for ever and if its cold its torture
__________________________________________________________________________________________________

proud to own and ride a british motorcycle  triumph daytona 675 Hehe
13-05-2015, 10:56 PM
Find Reply
captainsparkledotcom Offline

Threads: 393
(13-05-2015, 10:56 PM)scaramanga Wrote: my advice would be bus to instead of electric railway to meet up with the tram up the mountain the electric railway from douglas takes for ever and if its cold its torture

..and a bit scary! Icon_biggrin
14-05-2015, 09:50 AM
Website Find Reply
rubyhorse Offline

thanks all, just the info i needed.

Trying to juggle keeping the wife happy and watching as much of the racing as i can is difficult sometimes.

cheers all
14-05-2015, 10:29 AM
Find Reply
Rod Offline
Just Getting Started

Threads: 0
Bike to laxey , park at the Station , get the train.. we do this most years .. loads of places to watch ... but as said the weather can be changable LOL and very cold.. I would never ride up and park, as sometimes the road does not open for ages and I know people have said there is food up there ,,, I will wait and see...
14-05-2015, 05:22 PM
Find Reply
TTNeb Offline

Threads: 4
(14-05-2015, 05:22 PM)Rod Wrote: Bike to laxey , park at the Station , get the train.. we do this most years .. loads of places to watch ... but as said the weather can be changable LOL and very cold.. I would never ride up and park, as sometimes the road does not open for ages and I know people have said there is food up there ,,, I will wait and see...

As previously suggested take warm/waterproof clothing as the weather change in the blink of an eye. Watched from Windy Corner a couple of years ago but had a car to get us there.

It's great when the weather's good but bitter if wet/windy/cold. Bear this in mind as you need to keep your wife happy too. It'll depend how keen she is.

Enjoy wherever you end up.
Everything will be alright in the end. And if it's not alright, it's not yet the end.

14-05-2015, 08:39 PM
Find Reply