[split] Supertwins vs Moto3 etc
Yamanx Offline

Threads: 12
[split] Supertwins vs Moto3 etc
Well ok, road racing on the telly, bloke who "invented" the class wins, not close racing at the front. Bikes are not used anywhere apart from some road racing meeting and the TT.

If I'm honest, I would like to see Moto 3 instead of these. Pure bred race bikes, close racing, different manufacturers.

IMO, lose these and bring in Moto 3, especially at the TT Smile

"By all means think yourself big, but never think others small........."  R.F. Scott
14-05-2015, 07:40 PM
Find Reply
BcakWeleher Offline
@markybiker

Threads: 3
RE: Thursday Racing
(14-05-2015, 07:40 PM)Yamanx Wrote: Well ok, road racing on the telly, bloke who "invented" the class wins, not close racing at the front. Bikes are not used anywhere apart from some road racing meeting and the TT.

If I'm honest, I would like to see Moto 3 instead of these. Pure bred race bikes, close racing, different manufacturers.

IMO, lose these and bring in Moto 3, especially at the TT Smile

I think a little unfair on Ryan? There were no small bikes left racing and this class has brought them back.
Variety being the spice of life.
  Beer2  Triumph Sprint ST.  The Empire Strikes Back!!
14-05-2015, 08:46 PM
Website Find Reply
scaramanga Offline

Threads: 25
the 650 super twins get plenty of stick
i for 1 will hold my hand up and say im all for them there the only class that oferrs anything remotly different and a very competative class for the many riders who make up the numbers
also ryan gets far too much stick when he should be given credit for what hes done for the sport
i would like nothing better than a full grid of 2 strokes but i know that will not happen as there just isnt any around and as for moto 3 some of the prices ive heard for parts is just far to high to be a option for most
__________________________________________________________________________________________________

proud to own and ride a british motorcycle  triumph daytona 675 Hehe
14-05-2015, 09:42 PM
Find Reply
Yamanx Offline

Threads: 12
(14-05-2015, 09:42 PM)scaramanga Wrote: the 650 super twins get plenty of stick
i for 1 will hold my hand up and say im all for them there the only class that oferrs anything remotly different and a very competative class for the many riders who make up the numbers
also ryan gets far too much stick when he should be given credit for what hes done for the sport
i would like nothing better than a full grid of 2 strokes but i know that will not happen as there just isnt any around and as for moto 3 some of the prices ive heard for parts is just far to high to be a option for most

Fair enough, he has brought a new and different class to road racing. And he has put in the effort, he's got the backing and the racers, and the organisers to follow him.

But, its not the future, most of the riders are middle aged, the class is not used hardly anywhere else. OK I agree that Moto3 bikes and spares are exceptionally expensive at the moment as bike manufacturers try to fund their racing campaigns. But I still think Moto3 will be the future in the smaller classes. And I really look forward to them at the TT soon. Smile

Sooner the better Smile

In addition, moto2 bikes are starting to become available Smile If the Norton can circumvent the rules.........................................

"By all means think yourself big, but never think others small........."  R.F. Scott
14-05-2015, 10:37 PM
Find Reply
captainsparkledotcom Offline

Threads: 364
(14-05-2015, 10:37 PM)Yamanx Wrote:
(14-05-2015, 09:42 PM)scaramanga Wrote: the 650 super twins get plenty of stick

Fair enough, he has brought a new and different class to road racing. And he has put in the effort, he's got the backing and the racers, and the organisers to follow him.

But, its not the future, most of the riders are middle aged, the class is not used hardly anywhere else. OK I agree that Moto3 bikes and spares are exceptionally expensive at the moment as bike manufacturers try to fund their racing campaigns. But I still think Moto3 will be the future in the smaller classes. And I really look forward to them at the TT soon. Smile

Sooner the better Smile

In addition, moto2 bikes are starting to become available Smile If the Norton can circumvent the rules.........................................
 By Moto 3 , do you mean single cylinder bikes? of just less than 500cc?
That'll never catch on! Icon_biggrin

What goes around comes around!
Only a tad faster this time!
15-05-2015, 06:19 AM
Website Find Reply
Alfie Noakes Offline
Administrator

Threads: 13
I'm sure a competitive 250 2-stroke could be hypothetically purchased/run for less money than a top end winning supertwin, the big issue with 250's is that they are no longer made/sold as a new unit and some parts are hard to get as well, I think the last "new" retail racing model was made by Yamaha some years ago and hadn't had much development before that.
15-05-2015, 08:56 AM
Find Reply
AntG Offline

Threads: 3
I get the impression as the years go by Moto3 bikes will become available at a more reasonable price.
15-05-2015, 09:49 AM
Find Reply
Alfie Noakes Offline
Administrator

Threads: 13
RE: [split] Supertwins vs Moto3 etc
A good mate bought a competitive KTM Kalex Moto3 this year for his rider in the UK and it was the best part of £40k.
16-05-2015, 08:36 AM
Find Reply
Nasher Offline

Threads: 30
RE: [split] Supertwins vs Moto3 etc
I believe WSB are looking at introducing a smaller class (300cc) to replace 600 superstock - may be a future option?
16-05-2015, 09:09 AM
Find Reply