MRS Yamaha Shapes Up for British Round
Malcolm Offline
Administrator

Threads: 18,390
MRS Yamaha Shapes Up for British Round
[Image: mrsracinghdr.jpg]

The MRS Yamaha Team is ready for more racing action as it heads to the United Kingdom for the sixth round of the eni FIM Superbike World Championship held at Donington Park Racing Circuit this weekend.

Sunday's race marks the half way stage of the 2015 season and is extra special, not only because it's Kev Coghlan's home round, but also as it sees the Superstock 1000 Cup class return to circuit Donington for the first time in five years.

With the support of his family, friends and fans visiting the track, the Scotsman is eager to ride his YZF-R1M on British soil. Two weeks ago he just missed out on a podium finish at Imola when he rode from a sixth qualifying position to fourth place in a hard-fought race.

Coghlan currently holds fourth in the overall standings with 39 points. His teammate Florian Marino remains on 18 points and dropped to ninth in the championship rankings after he sustained a double fracture to his left arm at the previous round. He will sit out this weekend's racing action with fellow Frenchman Mathieu Gines filling the empty seat.

Gines has a lot of experience with Yamaha as a manufacturer; not only does he ride on the YZF-R1 for the GMT94 Yamaha team in the FIM Endurance World Championship, but he is also very successful on the YZF-R1M in the IDM Superstock 1000 class, which he currently leads by 20 points.

Similar to Coghlan and many other riders, Gines is also a fan of Donington Park, which has hosted many World Championship events. The last FIM Superstock 1000 Cup race at Donington came in 2009, before the arrival of Formula One the next year. The prevalent off-camber nature of the circuit and the stop-and-go final section, turns finding a balanced set-up for the bike into a quest for compromise between agility and stability. Add this to changeable weather conditions and the fact that many riders have not visited this track and it becomes clear why race fans can't wait for the fourth round of the Superstock season to start.

[Image: kcocghlanpredonny.jpg]

Kev Coghlan 

"It being my home race all my friends and family will come down to watch, so I'm really looking forward to it. It's always nice to go to your home round, because even people who are not your friends or your family, just the general public, are happy to meet you around the paddock and it gives you an extra boost for the race. We had a lot people visiting us at Aragon and Imola to watch the race, but at the home races you always get that extra support there. I would say that Donington is one of my favourite tracks on the calendar for the year. It's not somewhere where I have ridden an awful lot, but it's a nice place to ride. I had a third place there last year in the Supersport and it's a track I like. The weather can be a bit unpredictable, but either in the wet or the dry, I think we should be able to have a good weekend. The bike should suit the track a bit more than it did with Imola at the last round, so we will be hoping for a better result."

Mathieu Gines 

"I am very excited to ride with the official Yamaha team in the Superstock 1000 Cup, because it's a great opportunity for me and it can open some doors. I'm very happy to be part of this race, I will try to do my best and I will certainly learn during this weekend for the future. I know the YZF-R1 and YZF-R1M from the IDM Superstock and endurance races, but the tyres in Superstock 1000 are different from what I've been riding with since the start of the year. I rode at Donington in 2007 in the Superstock600 and the track is really nice. I've seen it a lot on television during the GP's and it always looks like a lot of fun. This weekend the Superstock 1000 goes back to Donington Park for the first time in five years. For me that's a good thing, because most of the riders are young and it's a new track for a lot of them, so I have the chance of getting good results. However, in Britain there's always a chance of rain. I hope for a dry race so we can get good results.  We will also give it our maximum if it rains, but it will be more fun in the sunshine."

21-05-2015, 11:05 AM
Website Find Reply