Protecting Bike on Ferry
Smudger's Lodger Offline

Threads: 2
Protecting Bike on Ferry
Hi All

My son is taking his bike to the IoM for the TT for the first time this year and I'd be grateful for any advice on what steps he needs to take in order to ensure that his beloved R6 rolls off the ferry in the same state it embarked. I'll be following in the car on the same sailing.

I remember that this was covered in that "other site's" forum but not sure if I can get at it and I'm loathe to log on anyway.

Any advice, greatly appreciated.

Mike
21-05-2015, 12:18 PM
Find Reply
Smidsy Offline
Orange Army - Windy Corner

Threads: 1
RE: Protecting Bike on Ferry
I only take a bit of extra sponge, a couple of bar towels, and a couple of elastic bands.

I use my sponge to add to the bit you get handed to you to protect the seat when lashed, bar towels for anywhere the rope is near, and elastic bands round the front brake and the handlebar to stop it rolling.

Also old forum can still be accessed directly via http://www.iomtt.com/forum (you dont need to log on anymore).
"I stole these views from the cools kids, so I could fit in."
You don’t stop riding because you’re getting old, you get old because you stop riding
21-05-2015, 01:11 PM
Find Reply
c iom tt Offline

Threads: 16
I have never had any issues. Side stand down and left in gear.Steam Packet do the rest.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you want something bad enough, you'll find a way. If you don't, you'll find an excuse
21-05-2015, 01:44 PM
Find Reply
y2blade Offline

Threads: 13
That^^^^

It's a non issue
21-05-2015, 01:45 PM
Find Reply
full-chat Offline
Just Getting Started

Threads: 1
(21-05-2015, 12:18 PM)Smudger Wrote: Hi All

My son is taking his bike to the IoM for the TT for the first time this year and I'd be grateful for any advice on what steps he needs to take in order to ensure that his beloved R6 rolls off the ferry in the same state it embarked. I'll be following in the car on the same sailing.

I remember that this was covered in that "other site's" forum but not sure if I can get at it and I'm loathe to log on anyway.

Any advice, greatly appreciated.

Mike

hi Mike,
          indeed you do need to take care when getting your bike secured they sometimes use the very rough rope over your seat and and side panels so take 15mm foam pad for seat and anti slip matting to protect side panels ,also wait till the bike next to you is parked (the crew can occasionaly be a bit indifferent if you watch them and will sometimes say "i have done this before you know")as we have had damage from bmw panniers and boxer cylinder heads leaning on our fairings !! also watch out when you go back to bike as sometimes people clamber over bikes to get to theirs,and sometimes there is a lack of care and respect for other peoples property!!,
21-05-2015, 06:42 PM
Find Reply
Smudger's Lodger Offline

Thanks for all the advice guys.

Have a great TT.
22-05-2015, 02:10 PM
Find Reply
Baldy Gaz Offline
Banned