Michael Dunlop
HammerHead Offline

Threads: 23
RE: Michael Dunlop
Last year people wondered if he'd taken too much of a gamble riding an unproven bike. He said then that he wouldn't have signed if he didn't think it was a package capable of winning. It was, and as a rider his stock increased even further.

This year is no different - unproven bike and MD saying he was signing for what he thought was a winning package. It clearly isn't (yet) up to the job. Who knows if there were some performance related clauses in the contract as the split seems to be as amicable as its possible to be considering.

Any team that wants to win at the TT would love to have Michael on their machine (from a purely racing perspective anyway). Any team that promises a competitive ride and can't deliver that has to expect it will trigger some kind of response. Also if the bike is losing oil and if there is a possibility it might seize would you want to be on it at racing speeds? There's family history there!

I didn't think MD had a chance in the big bike races this year based on the NW200 showing. Now I wouldn't bet against him, even with limited practice time. He will be on a familiar machine (and possibly with the data from last year?).

"There is nothing so momentary as a sporting achievement, and nothing so lasting as the memory of it."
04-06-2015, 12:29 PM
Find Reply
Sussex Ninja Gal' Offline

Threads: 11
(04-06-2015, 11:27 AM)Yamanx Wrote: I agree, what are Martrain going to do? They have the same issues with the oil pumping into the airbox.

That's exactly what I've been thinking. I can't see Deano & the team doing anything other than plough on & work to overcome any problems - albeit if the very dodgy looking oil burning issue aren't endangering rider safety, obviously. I can understand why Michael's dropped his bombshell, but I certainly sympathise with the Shaun Muir's Team and their sponsors after all their investment & work. Still, there's never a dull moment with young Master D is there? He makes Guy look like an elder TT statesman these days!! Icon_biggrin
04-06-2015, 12:35 PM
Find Reply
coll83 Offline

Threads: 0
(04-06-2015, 11:49 AM)modulaire Wrote:
(04-06-2015, 11:40 AM)coll83 Wrote: I have read both reports previously and bottom line for me is the oil problem. As already said, seriously dangerous!

Nowhere does Michael mention an oil problem or safety reasons for the split. In his own words the R1 is not competitive and fast enough to win. And I agree with him.

But that is a ******* reason to leave a team during the TT. He should help the team and develop the bike for next year IMO.

'bottom line for me' read my posts please.
04-06-2015, 12:40 PM
Find Reply
Chucks Offline
Just Getting Started

Fact is, Michael is on the Island to do a job. If you haven't got the right tools for the job you might as well pack up and go home.

He's proved himself at the TT with different manufacturers, and as far as I can see, Buildbase are the only crew that know how best to work with him - give him the best package possible and let him do what he does. He has a cracking Stocker and Gary Ryan always sorts out a good 600.

The only embarrassing thing is when a 26 year old, running his own team, can go out and smoke the big teams.

I say good luck to the MD Racing team and hope they get setup sorted for what is looking like a cracking opener on Saturday.
04-06-2015, 12:42 PM
Find Reply
coll83 Offline

At the end of the day this boy wants and can win TTs and isn't turning up to make the numbers. It hasn't worked.. luckily he has options - move on!
04-06-2015, 12:43 PM
Find Reply
kylep Offline
Just Getting Started

Threads: 1
TT is once a year and he has the ability - he needs competitive equipment to maximise his potential - correct decision IMO and fair play to him for having a backup plan in place
04-06-2015, 12:54 PM
Find Reply
Hillpiece Offline

Threads: 1
(04-06-2015, 11:15 AM)I didn\t realise the new R1 was  a 2 stroke! Jeez did you see that thing smoke. Wrote: Reading all the comments on various social media sites from the armchair racers regarding Michael Dunlop's split from Milwaukee Yamaha and can't help but think there is a certain hatred out there towards MD. He was promised a competitive, factory spec superbike from Yamaha - that was not delivered. What he got was a bike that was dumping oil into its air box. If it's pumping its oil out of the air box then a) it won't do 6 laps before it runs out of oil & siezes - do you fancy that happening to you at 190mph on Sulby? and b) it is a danger to himself and others just from the oil slick it lays and him ditching it is less of a PR problem than the organisers banning it for being a danger, or worse, not banning it and have it blow up mid race and cause a tragedy...the picture says it all in my eyes.

I say well done to Michael for having the test tickles to make this call and wish him nothing but luck for this TT.

[Image: 002.jpg]
04-06-2015, 01:13 PM
Find Reply
c iom tt Offline

Threads: 16
Does anyone know what is happening in the paddock, is Milwaukee packing up to go home?
Yamaha must be mortified.
One thing is for sure, MD is now in a no lose situation. He he does not get good results this year, then no one can blame him due to the lack of set up time. If he wins, then he is a hero.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you want something bad enough, you'll find a way. If you don't, you'll find an excuse
04-06-2015, 01:23 PM
Find Reply
cookie77 Offline

Threads: 3
I'd say he's a bit of a hero either way from previous years....but i know what you mean.
04-06-2015, 01:39 PM
Find Reply
bambam Offline

Threads: 6
(04-06-2015, 01:39 PM)cookie77 Wrote: I'd say he's a bit of a hero either way from previous years....but i know what you mean.

Hunts Motorcycles 600 on the way to the island aswell...
04-06-2015, 01:53 PM
Find Reply
cookie77 Offline

Bambam what 600 is he getting, Honda?

Most likely a Honda as they are a Honda Dealership

Malcolm
(This post was last modified: 04-06-2015, 02:39 PM by Malcolm.)
04-06-2015, 02:25 PM
Find Reply
jdm Offline
Just Getting Started

What stopped Michael from signing with Buildbase from the off?

(04-06-2015, 02:25 PM)cookie77 Wrote: Bambam what 600 is he getting, Honda?
04-06-2015, 02:39 PM
Find Reply
coll83 Offline

(04-06-2015, 02:39 PM)jdm Wrote: What stopped Michael from signing with Buildbase from the off?

Yamaha bigger deal maybe? Wonder how many other riders have 'back-up' plans/rides?
(This post was last modified: 04-06-2015, 02:55 PM by Malcolm.)
04-06-2015, 02:53 PM
Find Reply
bambam Offline

Threads: 6
(04-06-2015, 02:39 PM)jdm Wrote: What stopped Michael from signing with Buildbase from the off?

(04-06-2015, 02:25 PM)cookie77 Wrote: Bambam what 600 is he getting, Honda?

yeah i seen on hunts page they were loading up the hunts CBR 600 for the ready
04-06-2015, 03:19 PM
Find Reply
Pete_25064 Offline
Just Getting Started

Threads: 2
Had never heard about the smoking R1 till I seen this thread.

Quite shocking, and if Dean's does go pop during the race there will be a huge question hanging over both Yamaha and more importantly the organisers for letting it race!!! Safety SHOULD and WILL always come first.

MD is a strong enough character to stand up to these manufacturers when things aren't going right. This screams of a football manager (Yamaha) parting ways as "mutual consent" Icon_biggrin

I read in the thread that the SuperBike is the same as last years. I thought MD had the German Lady Technician rebuilding the SuperBike engines in between practice and races last year? ... not sure she's there this year, or if she is, pretty sure she's not there at his specific beckon call!!
04-06-2015, 03:46 PM
Find Reply
cookie77 Offline

not a bad back up plan, He'll be on the top step again this year- on what I don't know but he'll be there.
04-06-2015, 03:50 PM
Find Reply
c iom tt Offline

Threads: 16
Some one from Milwaukee 'tweeting' pictures of themselves smiling and eating Ice Cream with a caption ' as you can see were all gutted by the news, and in another tweet to Josh Brookes saying wish you were here, and used the hashag #commitment.
In another, 'its competitive, its winning all over the world, maybe the rider thinks he is unable to win on it?
Clearly not as amicable is is being portrayed.
At the end of the day, it is Michael that is having to ride the bike, not the rest of the team.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you want something bad enough, you'll find a way. If you don't, you'll find an excuse
04-06-2015, 04:27 PM
Find Reply
civ Offline

04-06-2015, 05:10 PM
Find Reply
Ross_C Offline
Just Getting Started

I think Milwaukee's statement is masterfully understated:

"Milwaukee Yamaha its staff and sponsors have worked tirelessly to prepare a race winning package especially with the introduction of the new R1M" = We've done loads of work, invested money and turned up in numbers.

"The development of the bike is advancing well testament to results on the short circuit worldwide" = And it's showing.

"Despite having all the ingredients for TT success, rider, bike and team, Michael has taken the decision not to continue with the programme and for that reason we have released him from his contract" = We think everything was there for future success; it's the rider who has bailed on us all and let a lot of folks stranded. We can't in reality make him ride, so have let him go.

Earlier is was said Michael was there to do a job. He was in my eyes and likely contractually, to ride for Yamaha. He's single-minded and damn fast, as we all know, and now has a better chance to win, which is what I'm sure drives him. In terms of loyalty and taste in the mouth (remember how long Shaun Muir stuck by Hutchy), I'm not that keen but ultimately my opinion is of no odds to Michael, and I wish him a fast and safe race.
(This post was last modified: 04-06-2015, 05:23 PM by Ross_C.)
04-06-2015, 05:21 PM
Find Reply
scaramanga Offline

Threads: 25
(04-06-2015, 12:43 PM)coll83 Wrote: At the end of the day this boy wants and can win TTs and isn't turning up to make the numbers. It hasn't worked.. luckily he has options - move on!

but also considor what michael himself would say if it was guy martin hutchy or ryan farquhar... saying the same thing
__________________________________________________________________________________________________

proud to own and ride a british motorcycle  triumph daytona 675 Hehe
04-06-2015, 05:44 PM
Find Reply