Michael Dunlop
cregnybaa Offline

Threads: 9
RE: Michael Dunlop
Yamaha have had a situation similar to this once before, that was in 78 with Mike Hailwood all the bikes they provided had problems of one sort or another.
05-06-2015, 10:36 AM
Find Reply
jerycan Offline
Just Getting Started

Threads: 0
(04-06-2015, 10:59 PM)c iom tt Wrote:
(04-06-2015, 09:41 PM)KypDurron Wrote:
(04-06-2015, 09:28 PM)scaramanga Wrote:
(04-06-2015, 07:52 PM)harveymushman Wrote: Wow !!! I think the ice cream image will haunt this split. I Have always loved MD's aggression and determination but I get the feeling he needs a wise head next to him. He needs it fast before he burn so many bridges he will be the fastest guy in the paddock with the worst deal.

good sumary
if the rumours are right big teams wont talk to garry johnson for similar reasons and proberbly guy martin aswell

I haven't heard any rumours about Gary Johnson being black listed by any of the major teams.  I know he wanted a bit more than Triumph was willing to pay but that seemed about it.    

As for Guy, my impression is that people sign him because he brings sponsors and fans and he's good.

You need to read the Smiths Triumph feature in last weeks MCN. Acording to them, it is a lot more than a 'bit more' than they were willing to pay. That together with his comments about mentally destroying GM, and you have a whole other ball game that some teams wont want to play.

Do you think other teams have blacked Gary Johnson because Smiths couldn't/wouldn't meet his pay demands? I don't think so. Also it seems to be a given that the Triumph is the bike to be on for a Supersport win, it didn't work out so well for Michael Rutter 9th 2 minutes behind Johnson then the next Triumph 19th and 10 minutes behind.
Maybe just maybe if Triumph don't win the Supersport races this year they will think Gary Johnson would have been a bargain!
05-06-2015, 10:48 AM
Find Reply
bsa499 Offline

Threads: 48
I really admire Michael Dunlop, he's not playing the long game he wants to win TT races NOW!!! In addition as a competitor in the Classic TT races I've seen MD ever-present in the paddock ready and willing to chat with the 'also rans' such as me, unlike some of the other 'stars'. I only wish I'd seized one of the many opportunities, maybe I will at this year's Classic TT.
05-06-2015, 02:38 PM
Find Reply
wsn03 Offline

Threads: 6
Micky D is a bit of legend, never forget his Classic MGP win I think it was 2012, where he slowed right down on the last lap just to make sure more finishers picked up replicas.
05-06-2015, 03:32 PM
Find Reply
Chucks Offline
Just Getting Started

If I remember correctly, the last Yamaha to win a race at the TT was back in 2012? Possibly the Supersport race? Can't for the life of me remember who was riding it.

Seriously, the people on here slagging MD off need to think before they type.

He has already proved he doesn't need "big" teams to win at the TT. Milwaukee came with bikes that aren't up to the test of the Isle of Man TT. No shame in that. It's a very tough test. But don't bang on about how well it's doing at short circuits. There is NO comparison, and if Milwaukee seriously think there is, then it's no wonder the bike wasn't fit for the TT.

MD's first sector (Grandstand to GH) time on his 129.6 lap was one of (if not) the fastest ever. On a superstock.

If the big teams don't want him it's their loss as far as I'm concerned.
05-06-2015, 03:36 PM
Find Reply
Pete_25064 Offline
Just Getting Started

Threads: 2
(05-06-2015, 03:36 PM)Chucks Wrote: ...
MD's first sector (Grandstand to GH) time on his 129.6 lap was one of (if not) the fastest ever. On a superstock.

If the big teams don't want him it's their loss as far as I'm concerned.

It was good, wasn't that good though. The guy's been round @ 131+ on a Stock before (Honda 2013). I'll hopefully be watching that very lap over the next few days if I can find it on you tube.

I actually think he enjoys the drama of the big teams and "who will he ride for next?" ... always makes for an exciting Christmas, and strangely keeps the sport in the peoples eye over the winter months.

The last few years we've heard comments that MD could ride the "garden gate" to a superbike victory, stick a lawnmower engine in it and he'll get the job done. He's good, he's actually very good but unfortunately the new R1 seems a tad slowed than the average garden gate Icon_biggrin
05-06-2015, 04:01 PM
Find Reply
Westers Offline
Banned

Threads: 3
Lol - Yep, that comment gets used a lot about anyone who is great (Rossi, Marquez, F1 drivers, etc), however the reality is if the machine has some major issues with it then there's only so much that the very best riders/drivers can do to make up for that deficit, and even their brilliance can't turn a sow's ear into a silk purse. They can make the sow's ear achieve things that it shouldn't have any right in achieving, but there's a limit.

The trouble is people expect a top rider to perform miracles, and then get the hump when they can't get the garden gate to do a sub 17 minute lap.

From the outside looking in, and not knowing anything about the inner workings of MD, he reminds me of people who decide to work for themselves because they can't stand being told what to do by others, hence being their own boss is the only way to go about things. I wonder if that's true of MD and working with other teams? He certainly likes to run his own show, so when he gets into a big team, maybe having to do things their way doesn't suit him? That is in no way a dig at MD, just an observation, and perhaps one that some of the big manufacturers should think about - i.e, give him the tools/backing, but let him run it the way he wants it to be run. I'm sure he'd deliver, and I'm sure he'd end up working with one manufacturer for a long time; it's been done before with Joey - he did things with a handshake and insisted on working on the bikes himself, much to Honda's reluctance to start with, but they did come round to his way of thinking.

As for the Yamaha thing - MD did say that the issues with the bike had been known for a long time, and had been present at the NW200 (and I'm guessing at the Cookstown races as well), so they would have had time to try and sort these out. However I know that Yamaha Europe are nowhere near being ready to release mega horsepower engines to race teams as they're still developing/testing them for reliability.
05-06-2015, 05:22 PM
Find Reply
KypDurron Offline

Threads: 23
I'm going to float this out there.

Dean Harrison will get his R1 into line and you'll see it up and performing and then Michael will look a bit of an ass.
05-06-2015, 08:57 PM
Find Reply
Chucks Offline
Just Getting Started

(05-06-2015, 08:57 PM)KypDurron Wrote: I'm going to float this out there.  

Dean Harrison will get his R1 into line and you'll see it up and performing and then Michael will look a bit of an ass.

It will take some riding to make MD look like an ass!
05-06-2015, 09:07 PM
Find Reply
SPJ Offline

KypDurron - I'm going to float this out there. You don't like Michael Dunlop Wink

Seriously, there will need to be a lot of bad luck before I see an R1 on the podium.
05-06-2015, 09:50 PM
Find Reply
bambam Offline

(05-06-2015, 08:57 PM)KypDurron Wrote: I'm going to float this out there.  

pmsl...step away from the pipe...
05-06-2015, 10:03 PM
Find Reply
eman1948 Offline

Does he work for Yamaha Dodgy Icon_biggrin
05-06-2015, 10:53 PM
Find Reply
R7A5B0 Offline

(05-06-2015, 10:53 PM)eman1948 Wrote: Does he work for Yamaha Dodgy Icon_biggrin
thats what i was thinking. there are plenty in the bsb paddock that are not so kind when discussing a certain team,with good reason so i hear.
to imply the type of rider that competes at the top at the tt have long term planning high on the list of their priorities is a bit silly. these lads are all adrenaline junkies and born winners. they will do whatever it takes to put themselves in a position to win, that is all there is to it.
michael dunlop is a class rider and very popular with the fans due to his no holds barred riding style, commitment and his tendency to not shy away from controversy. road racing in general is in a better place thanks to his participation.
the new yamaha may well be doing ok on short circuits in general around the globe, so are ducatis and aprilias,it is no measure of how suitable the bike is for a tt.
i personally could not care less how the yamaha team feel about dunlop switching bikes. he has to do what he feels is the best for him at the tt. if the bike is not up to it, he does not have the luxury of a gravel trap to mull over what went wrong. it is the individual racers who are the stars of the show, not the teams ,and they would do well to remember that.
(first post,so go easy on me, lol )
07-06-2015, 02:45 PM
Find Reply
Westers Offline
Banned

(07-06-2015, 02:45 PM)R7A5B0 Wrote:
(05-06-2015, 10:53 PM)eman1948 Wrote: Does he work for Yamaha Dodgy Icon_biggrin
thats what i was thinking. there are plenty in the bsb paddock that are not so kind when discussing a certain team,with good reason so i hear.
to imply the type of rider that competes at the top at the tt have long term planning high on the list of their priorities is a bit silly. these lads are all adrenaline junkies and born winners. they will do whatever it takes to put themselves in a position to win, that is all there is to it.
michael dunlop is a class rider and very popular with the fans due to his no holds barred riding style, commitment and his tendency to not shy away from controversy. road racing in general is in a better place thanks to his participation.
the new yamaha may well be doing ok on short circuits in general around the globe, so are ducatis and aprilias,it is no measure of how suitable the bike is for a tt.
i personally could not care less how the yamaha team feel about dunlop switching bikes. he has to do what he feels is the best for him at the tt. if the bike is not up to it, he does not have the luxury of a gravel trap to mull over what went wrong. it is the individual racers who are the stars of the show, not the teams ,and they would do well to remember that.
Great first post - I don't disagree with any of that.

Would love to know what the BSB paddock comments are  Icon_lol
07-06-2015, 03:18 PM
Find Reply
Westers Offline
Banned

Erm, Dean Harrison not in the top 30; I think that shows how poor the R1 is.
07-06-2015, 03:42 PM
Find Reply
R7A5B0 Offline

(07-06-2015, 03:18 PM)Westers Wrote:
(07-06-2015, 02:45 PM)R7A5B0 Wrote:
Great first post - I don't disagree with any of that.

Would love to know what the BSB paddock comments are  Icon_lol
the words brewery ,manage, p*** up, could, not, a, and in were in the sentence,and i could not possibly mention who said them Smile . to be fair it was only a personal opinion i heard second hand ,so could well be sour grapes. do you know what happened to dunlop on the pit stop ? what a job by anstey ,another living legend . unbelievable to think this is his first superbike win after all these years,what a boy !
07-06-2015, 03:50 PM
Find Reply
Sussex Ninja Gal' Offline

Threads: 11
A fantastic effort by Mickey today. Lap record pace on the final lap & a place on the podium beckoning: then he suddenly disappears somewhere after Cronk-ny-Mona. I know there were a couple of riders down at The Nook ('hope they're both ok, obviously) & the race was red flagged, but no word about MD thus far. I wonder if he ran out of fuel?

Edit: Michael's just got out of an ambulance by the pit entrance & he's limping. So much for me speculating about the fuel situation. smilie
(This post was last modified: 07-06-2015, 04:15 PM by Sussex Ninja Gal'.)
07-06-2015, 04:07 PM
Find Reply
Westers Offline
Banned

I tihnk the BM's are just taking forever to fill up, and yes Bruce is a living legend. Couldn't have happened to a nicer bloke.

MD was off at the Nook, with another rider, however they've just said on the radio that he's up and limping (MD that is - not sure about the other rider)
07-06-2015, 04:14 PM
Find Reply
Ross_C Offline
Just Getting Started

(07-06-2015, 04:14 PM)Westers Wrote: MD was off at the Nook, with another rider, however they've just said on the radio that he's up and limping (MD that is - not sure about the other rider)
Best wishes to both riders. Both Michael's condition and, more likely, that of his BuildBase bike looks to have a knock-on impact on his Senior chances. Not sure if he has a spare superbike to ride - that's if a chassis change is allowed - or how many road spares the team will have for something that seemed a last minute thing.
(This post was last modified: 07-06-2015, 04:22 PM by Ross_C.)
07-06-2015, 04:21 PM
Find Reply
Sam Pato Offline

Threads: 24
What a sickener for both riders.  They've said MD is ok - any news on the other rider involved?

Hopefully OK.

Sam
Warning Level 0% since 2006
07-06-2015, 05:24 PM
Find Reply