What happens to the old bikes after the racing season?
KypDurron Offline

Threads: 23
What happens to the old bikes after the racing season?
Do they sell them on to privateers and smaller teams or are they pretty well thrashed by the end?
04-06-2015, 08:32 PM
Find Reply
warrior Offline

Threads: 2
RE: What happens to the old bikes after the racing season?
Sold on, or refreshed and updated.

Race bikes don't really get old, they are constantly rebuilt and parts renewed, a bit like Triggers brush, he's had it for years, but its had 6 new heads and 4 new handles Smile
04-06-2015, 08:49 PM
Find Reply
Smokin Haddock Racing Offline

Threads: 8
Work their way down the ranks through club racing, on to track days, and then broken for spares. Recycling at its best! See, we are a green sport really Smile
04-06-2015, 08:59 PM
Find Reply
scaramanga Offline

Threads: 25
like any used motor some are sold some are broke for parts some teams will rent them out and some will go into a private collection
and some proberbly most will develop them and bring them back out next year
__________________________________________________________________________________________________

proud to own and ride a british motorcycle  triumph daytona 675 Hehe
04-06-2015, 09:24 PM
Find Reply
KypDurron Offline

Wouldn't mind picking one of those gorgeous beasties up for a shed bike.
04-06-2015, 11:53 PM
Find Reply
Kursaal Flyer Offline

Threads: 37
While still gorgeous beasties they cost a pretty little packet its only as they come down through the ranks can the price come down . But the very top race winning bikes with pedigree do not follow this course as they have street cred and history and value stays high.
For instance what do you think the first 130 mph TT lap bike is worth ?

The R1 I am on in my picture is an x Tristan Palmer superstock , but the main word there is X , very X !
Old enough to know better, young enough to have given it a go ! Icon_cool
(This post was last modified: 05-06-2015, 08:58 AM by Kursaal Flyer.)
05-06-2015, 08:56 AM
Website Find Reply
KypDurron Offline

I can believe that, but I wonder if you could scrounge up one of the mid range chaps, like perhaps something out of Dean Harrison's paddock or so. I've looked around for a shed bike for track time but I don't really know where to look.

I assume most of these bikes get traded around word of mouth as most people know each other.
05-06-2015, 08:58 AM
Find Reply
Allyshaper Offline

Threads: 0
(05-06-2015, 08:58 AM)KypDurron Wrote: I can believe that, but I wonder if you could scrounge up one of the mid range chaps, like perhaps something out of Dean Harrison's paddock or so.  I've looked around for a shed bike for track time but I don't really know where to look.  

I assume most of these bikes get traded around word of mouth as most people know each other.

I dont know if Dean will be too happy to learn he is mid range,but his team might have a cheap R1 for sale end of next week.
05-06-2015, 09:31 AM
Find Reply
cookie77 Offline

Threads: 3
haha like that allyshaper!.

TT winning racer Dean Harrison mid range?

If the bike is worth having it'll be 8k plus whatever it is and whoever it is ridden by, there is a limit to how old the bike can be so it'll be fairly new so no ebay jobbies running around the mountain.

Jm's 130 fireblade is surely a 80/90k bike but only worth what someone is willing to pay, I'd estimate it around that because a lot of rare ex wsb's/bsb bikes ridden by popular racers go for 60-70k, so a big fan of the tt with deep pockets would probably be looking around that figure for a piece of tt history.

Hilliers podium zx10r is 25k which I'd say backs up the figure a little.
05-06-2015, 10:25 AM
Find Reply
AndyL Offline

I remember seeing 2 Ten Kate Supersport bikes on sale at the NEC show for about 12 or 13 grand. One of them was Foret's championship-winning bike as I recall, so it would have been at the end of the 2002 season. Looking back now I wish I'd bought it. They went to the 600RR the following year so that bike could lay claim to being the best CBR600F ever.
05-06-2015, 10:43 AM
Find Reply
cookie77 Offline

(05-06-2015, 10:43 AM)AndyL Wrote: I remember seeing 2 Ten Kate Supersport bikes on sale at the NEC show for about 12 or 13 grand.  One of them was Foret's championship-winning bike as I recall, so it would have been at the end of the 2002 season.  Looking back now I wish I'd bought it.  They went to the 600RR the following year so that bike could lay claim to being the best CBR600F ever.

Ten Kate bikes come up all the time (or supposedly ten kate anyway :-))
but 12 grand for a wsb championship winner is a great price.

I've got Glen Richards old cbr600, was his bss Sanyo bike from 2001- It's worth pretty much nothing but with a decent rider on it i'm sure it'd be up there at most club meetings.
05-06-2015, 10:52 AM
Find Reply
Kursaal Flyer Offline

Well then a little poser for all , you have the money and before any racing has taken place you can buy any bike in the paddock thats racing in the 2015 TT , considering this is as an investment for the future . ( I must add that  I prefer bikes that are ridden not kept to make a bit )

Whos you going buy and why.
(This post was last modified: 05-06-2015, 10:58 AM by Kursaal Flyer.)
05-06-2015, 10:56 AM
Website Find Reply
AndyL Offline

(05-06-2015, 10:52 AM)cookie77 Wrote: Ten Kate bikes come up all the time (or supposedly ten kate anyway :-))
but 12 grand for a wsb championship winner is a great price.

Those were definitely genuine, they were on the Ten Kate stand. It was their first Supersport championship win so they didn't have quite the cachet that they gained after winning the following 6 years as well. I remember thinking the Foret bike looked like good value, even 13 years ago; now it looks like a bargain. Hindsight is a wonderful thing Rolleyes I think the moral of the story is if you want it, and you can afford it, then buy it Smile
(This post was last modified: 05-06-2015, 11:46 AM by AndyL.)
05-06-2015, 11:43 AM
Find Reply
cregnybaa Offline

Threads: 9
If you want the genuine article you should buy it as it has just finished its last race with the oil still warm, thats the only way to get what coulld be the genuine thing.
05-06-2015, 12:13 PM
Find Reply
cookie77 Offline

I'll have the senior winning bmw please, the no.8 :-) we can all hope!
If it wins it'll be the best for investment.

yeah i've heard stories of people buying race winning bikes the day after only to find they have brand new parts put on them instead of the factory one's. I'd want it from parc ferme.

The only bike i'd seriously want though would be Peter Hickmans mv, best looking and best sounding.
05-06-2015, 12:33 PM
Find Reply
V Twin Mechanic Offline

Threads: 4
(05-06-2015, 12:33 PM)cookie77 Wrote: I'll have the senior winning bmw please, the no.8 :-) we can all hope!
If it wins it'll be the best for investment.

yeah i've heard stories of people buying race winning bikes the day after only to find they have brand new parts put on them instead of the factory one's. I'd want it from parc ferme.

The only bike i'd seriously want though would be Peter Hickmans mv, best looking and best sounding.

I have no doubt that some TT winning race bikes are sold, they are then raced, crashed and updated with new frames, suspension engines etc, and then claimed 10 / 15 years later that they wre the genuine bikes !
05-06-2015, 01:06 PM
Find Reply
Smokin Haddock Racing Offline

Threads: 8
Always a good selection on here. Some interesting ex-top bikes from time to time.

http://www.motoforum.net/forum/13-race-b...h-v5-only/
05-06-2015, 03:29 PM
Find Reply
desmophile Offline

Threads: 1
In my experience the hard up privateer runs his (or her) bike for a few years until it's completely obsolete and then sells it for a song, only to see it worth 0000's in years to come.

Or to put it another way, why did I sell my Tz350 for £900,  Tz750 for £1400 and my worst ever mistake a Harris framed TT F1 duke with 4 spare wheels for £3500!!!

Add to that the Jota and Z1a road bikes, countless rd250s and x7s for pennies and an rd400 for £300.

Hindsight is a blessing and a curse...
06-06-2015, 09:26 PM
Find Reply
Kursaal Flyer Offline

desmophile , I am sure that at the time the money you got for those bikes was a lot more useful than having the bike getting in the way in the garage collecting dust.
I know that this was the case for ones I have sold .One of them a sprint scooter I sold then a good few years later I got bambozzled into finding it and rebuilding it and the rebuild the sequel with its trick upto date bits now sits in a shop and is want it or not a family heirloom for my kids.
07-06-2015, 10:21 AM
Website Find Reply
warrior Offline

Yep I sold a TD1C Yamaha for around £140, several TZ350's for next to nothing, and a beautiful TZ750 for £2000, but in those days just as now you had to fund the next bike somehow.

And as someone once pointed out to me when crying into my pint over them, you would need a very large garage to keep them all.

I once met an old guy who had kept his Manx Norton in the garage for around 30 years after he retired, his missus had tried to pressure him into weighing it in for scrap many times as it was by then worth next to nothing and getting in the way, he almost succumbed to the nagging but luckily couldn't bring himself to do it, he said they had countless arguments over it.

Then the classic scene really took off and he said he'd recently sold it and cleared the mortgage with the proceeds!!
07-06-2015, 11:00 AM
Find Reply