Front Row For Sykes After Portimão Superpole
Malcolm Offline
Administrator

Threads: 18,390
Front Row For Sykes After Portimão Superpole
[Image: kawasakiwsbhdr.jpg]

Tom Sykes (KRT) came within 0.116 seconds of taking pole at Portimao but he starts Sunday’s two 20-lap WSB races from the front row in any case, having qualified in second place. Jonathan Rea (KRT) was eighth in Superpole, after setting one flying lap on race tyres and then falling at turn three shortly after.

Sykes and Rea had made it thought to Superpole 2 automatically because of their strong practice performances on race rubber and each is confident of their race pace for Sunday’s races.
Sykes looked to be heading for pole position near the end of the 15-minute second Superpole session but Davide Giugliano had used Tom as a gauge on his fastest lap and flashed over the line just behind the Kawasaki rider on track, but 0.116 seconds in front in the times.
The unlucky Rea had just put in a fast first lap early in Superpole 2 and in falling at turn three next time around he was unable to restart, having to rely on his opening lap to give him his final Superpole time. He is now starting off the third row for Sunday’s races, but has strong race pace to rely on at one of his favourite circuits.

There has been a contrast in track conditions between the morning and afternoon sessions at Portimao, with a significant increase in track temperature in the afternoons, so the KRT riders expect to have two slightly different challenges on Sunday 7th June.

In the organiser’s Superpole Award rankings, for best performance pre-race, Sykes and Rea are now joint top of the table, each with 127 points.

[Image: PortimaoSykesuperpole.jpg]

Tom Sykes:

“Most importantly I am on the front row and we have also evaluated a couple of minor set-up things in Superpole. There is a new qualifying rear tyre for Superpole at this round and it seems good. We will speak again tonight and work on a couple of more aspects in time for raceday. I think overall we have a good bike, a good package and the consistency is there. I was nearly there to win Superpole but Davide Giugliano was just behind me and on some parts of the track that helps, so maybe I helped give him pole position - but that is racing. I have to accept that and he is a good guy, so no worries. I am relaxed and ready to go racing.”

Jonathan Rea:

“I felt really confident for Superpole and maybe too much. I pushed over the limit and was quite a bit faster at the braking point, with 4 degrees more lean angle, and I lost the front. It was a fast crash but I am OK. In the afternoon practice session before Superpole we had a very good rhythm. My race pace is really good the only problem is starting from the third row and the guys with good pace are on the front row. For me tomorrow will be about the start and the first laps. I just have to make sure the opening laps are clean and that I can get through traffic. I think the race will be decided from the middle to the end but I have to make sure I am there at the middle point.”

David Salom (Kawasaki Team Pedercini) made it through to Superpole 2 automatically but had to settle for 12th place on the grid. For his Spanish countryman Roman Ramos (Team Go Eleven Kawasaki) 15th will be his starting position after Superpole. Christophe Ponsson (Kawasaki Team Pedercini) was 18th today.

06-06-2015, 07:57 PM
Website Find Reply