Could this be JM130's last TT?
Sussex Ninja Gal' Offline

Threads: 11
Could this be JM130's last TT?
I've had a feeling it might be - after a disappointing ride in the Superbike race. Strangely enough, John's just been interviewed by Chris Kinley on the grid before a practice lap & he said: "I'm going to have to have a long hard look in the mirror to see if I want to carry on" after getting "smoked by the new generation coming through".

He obviously has nothing more to prove at the TT (other than seeing if he can still run at the sharp end), but I do wonder if the time has now come when he brings his magnificent racing career to a close?
09-06-2015, 03:31 PM
Find Reply
Alfie Noakes Offline
Administrator

Threads: 12
RE: Could this be JM130's last TT?
I've been on the start grid up close for the Superbike and Supersport, he doesn't look like a rider that's getting a positive mental/physical return from what he's putting on the line. From my experience and that of my mates that's the time to stop.
09-06-2015, 04:28 PM
Find Reply
KypDurron Offline

Threads: 23
It must be difficult with Bruce just winning this year and being a bit older. The temptation to go on must be strong from that, but I do think McPint will call it a career after this.
09-06-2015, 05:04 PM
Find Reply
muz66 Offline

Threads: 0
I couldn't blame him. He's had an amazing TT career but he always said he didn't want to be another 'has-been' so we will have to wait and see.
Get on with it or shut up about it!
09-06-2015, 07:12 PM
Find Reply
KypDurron Offline

Threads: 23
As others have said, there'd be no slight on him for doing so. He's a hero to all and it would be great to have a true king of the mountain like him retire safe and sound to his family and be there for TT fans young and old for years. If we're lucky, even when he does retire, he'll stay involved in the race.
09-06-2015, 07:25 PM
Find Reply
b5070 Offline

Threads: 1
Cool  RE: Could this be JM130's last TT?
I think he's just 'saving himself' for Friday Icon_biggrin  The point about Bruce being older may be poignant, so - it's not just 'the new generation coming through' to consider. Maybe bettering the '26' will keep him going? Clearly, he's been unable to 'break' the opposition on the first lap, which he used to do, plus - he's getting very little seat time, compared to the past years (doing Endurance etc) For all the stars to be aligned,  everything perfect with the bike - and the mental attitude in harmony with all makes for a comfortable race, but it must be a bit 'rattling' having so many riders now capable of running in the 130 bracket. Roll on Friday, and the Senior. One way or another, it's shaped up to be a cracking race!!
09-06-2015, 07:27 PM
Find Reply
R7A5B0 Offline

Threads: 0
(09-06-2015, 07:25 PM)KypDurron Wrote: As others have said, there'd be no slight on him for doing so.  He's a hero to all and it would be great to have a true king of the mountain like him retire safe and sound to his family and be there for TT fans young and old for years.  If we're lucky, even when he does retire, he'll stay involved in the race.
i agree, would love to see him retire,and at this stage of his career it can only be about how much enjoyment he still gets from it. i know he might not have made the money some of the short circuit boys have,but between roadshows, after dinner stuff,track tuition and continuing involvement in the TT he would still make a fantastic living from the sport he loves ,without racing anymore.
09-06-2015, 07:47 PM
Find Reply
Westers Offline
Banned

Threads: 3
He's always been honest and said the reason he keeps going is because he knows he can win at least one race; he also said that when he felt he couldn't do that then he'd retire rather than just ride for top 10's. I think that time is very nearly on us, unless he pulls a rabbit out of the hat and podiums in the Senior.

Last years TT was a disaster for him, and I do wonder if he started to question whether he was still good enough to win, and (mentally) ignored the fact that he was riding with a weak arm, hence the results he got. It doesn't take long before the "soul searching" starts to erode the confidence, even when there was a valid physical reason for his results.

The fact that he's talking about a "long hard look at himself to see if he wants to continue", suggests that the doubts have very much set in, and I wouldn't be surprised if he looks at his career, realises he's achieved masses, but it's time to walk away and leave it to the young un's.

Could he still win around the island? I believe he still can - you don't stop being a fast rider, however you do/can stop having the desire to push like you used to, and once that desire has gone it's very, very hard to get back.
09-06-2015, 08:24 PM
Find Reply
Boltonswanderer
Unregistered

(09-06-2015, 07:25 PM)KypDurron Wrote: As others have said, there'd be no slight on him for doing so.  He's a hero to all and it would be great to have a true king of the mountain like him retire safe and sound to his family and be there for TT fans young and old for years.  If we're lucky, even when he does retire, he'll stay involved in the race.

Well said Kyp, your on the money there.
09-06-2015, 08:54 PM
NB12 Offline

Lets wait until after Friday.

I do think he could be doing with more regular seat time, like when he rode BSB stock1000 for Padgetts.
@neilbrownNB12
09-06-2015, 09:24 PM
Find Reply
Ricky Offline
Banned

Threads: 2
He ll decide after Friday I would say.

He d didn't win on Sunday but he was still very competitive. Some ambassador to the TT.
09-06-2015, 09:34 PM
Find Reply
wsn03 Offline

Threads: 6
Is the Honda as competitive as the other bikes? Hasn't JM been mostly quicker than the very fast and young Conor?
09-06-2015, 10:59 PM
Find Reply
harveymushman Offline

wonder if he can give up - pretty addictive 200 people around your awning wanting pictures - dont see them clambering for Phil McCallen in the same way today - Could John give it up ? Remember Roger Harvey telling me that he had a chat with the ex world Motocross Champion Graham Noyce and was trying to be helpful - "

"Noycey have you thought about what you are going to do after MX?"
" Yeah Roger I want to stay involved in Motorcycles "
" Fantastic Graham doing what"
" Well I was thinking of your job Roger"
09-06-2015, 11:56 PM
Find Reply
jolly7 Offline
Banned

Time to go is when your team mate and lots on the same make are  way quicker and that isnt happening. JM first Honda home in  stocker race ahead of BA, first superbike race messed up by slow pitstops  which prevented a solid podium, supersport race one more than respectable ride and times.
10-06-2015, 06:36 AM
Find Reply
Westers Offline
Banned

Threads: 3
(10-06-2015, 06:36 AM)jolly7 Wrote: Time to go is when your team mate and lots on the same make are  way quicker and that isnt happening. JM first Honda home in  stocker race ahead of BA, first superbike race messed up by slow pitstops  which prevented a solid podium, supersport race one more than respectable ride and times.

But not by his own standards - the result on the little bikes/stocker he could probably tolerate as he's not been winning on them for a few years, but the Superbike? Even without the pitstops he still wouldn't have won or challenged for the win. If he's not in the position to do that then he's said that he doesn't want to just ride around to make up the positions.

Let's see what happens in the senior.
10-06-2015, 08:14 AM
Find Reply
Ken37.73 Offline

Whoa there Dobbin, there's life in the old dog yet. Bruce, Joey and Mike Hailwood have all proven what a bit of mojo can do after a few lean years.
10-06-2015, 10:29 AM
Find Reply
wsn03 Offline

...........and he wins, beating Bruce Anstey on the same bike in the TT zero......... I can't help but wonder if his "works" Honda isn't quite up to the pace compared the BMW, Kawasaki and the well developed Padgetts Honda. I wouldn't be surprised to read in years to come that they were just out of the shop bikes with only lights removed, kind of like the stories you read in some of the riders biographies from the 90s etc.

Can't believe JM isn't still top of his game round the TT course
(This post was last modified: 10-06-2015, 11:08 AM by wsn03.)
10-06-2015, 11:07 AM
Find Reply
numptydad Offline

(09-06-2015, 03:31 PM)Sussex Ninja Gal Wrote: I've had a feeling it might be - after a disappointing ride in the Superbike race. Strangely enough, John's just been interviewed by Chris Kinley on the grid before a practice lap & he said: "I'm going to have to have a long hard look in the mirror to see if I want to carry on" after getting "smoked by the new generation coming through".

He obviously has nothing more to prove at the TT (other than seeing if he can still run at the sharp end), but I do wonder if the time has now come when he brings his magnificent racing career to a close?

well, against all the predictions, including mine, he's won the Senior today. What a Ride and what a rider! It must be a difficult decision to consider when thinking of further TT racing.
12-06-2015, 04:05 PM
Find Reply
AndyL Offline

Sounds like he's got his eye on Joey's record now!
12-06-2015, 04:10 PM
Find Reply
b5070 Offline

TOLD YA!!
So -- he has a couple of carrots dangled now. 27 wins - and the first sub 17 lap - both of them possible in one more TT. He should be renamed "Dig Deep McPint", as - what I mentioned in an earlier post re all the stars aligning clearly happened today. However, he did say post race that he was pushing the front hard, and figured he'd ridden the bike as hard as it would go. Another 12 months bike/tyre development and -- will he be there to rewrite the records -- again? Absolutely mega stuff today!
12-06-2015, 04:20 PM
Find Reply