Did the steampacket hire the extra ship?
wsn03 Offline

Threads: 6
Did the steampacket hire the extra ship?
Steampacket were going to hire an extra fast-craft - I didn't see one when I was over, it would make a massive difference to availability. Did they hire one in the end? Anyone know?
10-06-2015, 01:19 PM
Find Reply
c iom tt Offline

Threads: 16
RE: Did the steampacket hire the extra ship?
No they didn't. I was on the Friday night sailing of Mannanan which had the extra mez deck for bikes. The was still plenty of space on the lower decks so I don't know why it did not carry more bikes.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you want something bad enough, you'll find a way. If you don't, you'll find an excuse
10-06-2015, 01:29 PM
Find Reply
wsn03 Offline

Well that's interesting! I moved my Saturday sailing with the bike to the Classic TT (did this Thursday night) after seeing the weather forecast. I asked for a foot passenger sailing for Thursday night but was told it was full and that stanby wouldn't be an option, could only get a night boat early hours Friday morning from Heysham. Met some guys who'd been stuck there 2 days as no standby options until the Friday am sailing, that said they did have a van which they were told would be Ben My Chree only - don't know what size their van was.

Wonder what happened to the plans to hire the extra boat? I was first in on the March cancellations and couldn't get any sailings in I wanted (wanted the Thurs, only got a Sat sailing offered). I would have thought they could have filled it, hope they do hire it next year.
(This post was last modified: 10-06-2015, 01:50 PM by wsn03.)
10-06-2015, 01:49 PM
Find Reply
wsn03 Offline

Just read Malcolms post - they did hire a ship for freight to free up the boats for more TT traffic, so that's definitely a step in the right direction.
10-06-2015, 01:53 PM
Find Reply
pbn10gon Offline
Just Getting Started

Threads: 0
The issue with space is usually seats. There is room for more bikes but not for passengers.
10-06-2015, 06:53 PM
Find Reply
c iom tt Offline

The MVArrow was hired to handle the freight which freed up space on the Ben. They have been doing this for a few months though due to the recent problems with both the Ben and the Mannanan.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you want something bad enough, you'll find a way. If you don't, you'll find an excuse
11-06-2015, 08:56 AM
Find Reply
wsn03 Offline

Thumbsup  RE: Did the steampacket hire the extra ship?
(10-06-2015, 06:53 PM)pbn10gon Wrote: The issue with space is usually seats. There is room for more bikes but not for passengers.

Never would have thought of that, always presumed passenger space was unlimited.  Learn something new every day
11-06-2015, 08:57 AM
Find Reply
Malcolm Offline
Administrator

Threads: 18,390
One factor related to the amount of passengers (and crew) permitted on a ship, will be a restriction, based on the number of Lifeboats/Liferafts that are on the vesse,l and the capability of those to safely accommodate all permitted personnel onboard. (Passengers + Crew).

A Passenger Ship Safety Certificate will display this statistic.

However, not fully acquainted with Maritime Law even although I have spent a fair amount of my working life onboard merchant vessels, perhaps someone else can corroborate that fact.

Malcolm
(This post was last modified: 15-06-2015, 02:20 PM by Malcolm.)
11-06-2015, 10:24 AM
Website Find Reply
HammerHead Offline

Threads: 23
As you say they will have to have lifeboats to carry everyone on board so that will more than likely be their limiting factor. The Titanic sinking led to this requirement over 100 years ago.

"There is nothing so momentary as a sporting achievement, and nothing so lasting as the memory of it."
11-06-2015, 01:08 PM
Find Reply
taxman Offline

Threads: 1
They did a small number of NI sailings using a chartered vessel P&O Express
15-06-2015, 01:18 PM
Find Reply
wsn03 Offline

Didn't know that, again a step in the right direction. Hopefully with the rise in numbers they will consider more of the same.

Didn't bring my bike, the bike I planned to ride developed a problem that I couldn't get parts for in time; was going to bring one of my other bikes til I saw the temperatures. I went as a foot passenger, and using the Mothers car over there I didn't once wish I was on a bike (I feel so weathered over there, wind, sun, then at night cold). I don't think I'll ever bring a bike to the TT, just to the FOM (August I find is much better weather no matter what anyone says).

I was a bit worried by some of the nuts riding I saw, at the FOM its a lot safer (I guess due to the type of fan); over there I'm happy on a dirt bike that isn't very quick on the roads, at the TT not a chance I'd consider it.
16-06-2015, 12:44 PM
Find Reply
captainsparkledotcom Offline

Threads: 364
(15-06-2015, 01:18 PM)taxman Wrote: They did a small number of NI sailings using a chartered vessel P&O Express

Just announced that they won't be hiring that again next year.
http://www.manxradio.com/news/isle-of-ma...r-next-tt/
17-06-2015, 10:09 AM
Website Find Reply
taxman Offline

Bit of gamesmanship going on Capt. The SP user agreement (which gives them exclusive rights to the linkspans at Douglas) is coming up for renegotiation. They're trying to pressurize the Government into making a decision.

The Government on the other hand are also playing the game. They recently advertised for expressions of interest from any ferry operators wishing to enter into an arrangement and reportedly had 7 responses.

This is just sabre rattling from the SP. Other companies don't need to do it as they all have other business. Without the IOM, the SP has nothing. IMHO they shouldn't be sabre rattling but instead working with the Government to provide the year round service the Island needs and make a FAIR profit at peak periods. That way everyone wins. Inevitably, this is utopia and we'll never see it.
17-06-2015, 01:27 PM
Find Reply

Thought that may be something to do with it!
It'll soon be time for the 'Steam Packet will pull out of Heysham' tales, creating havoc locally, until the next few years fees are negotiated!
(This post was last modified: 17-06-2015, 05:21 PM by Malcolm.)
17-06-2015, 05:14 PM
Website Find Reply
taxman Offline

You're a cynical man - and I salute you for it :-)
17-06-2015, 05:36 PM
Find Reply
Westers Offline
Banned

Threads: 3
I know that other ferry companies have business elsewhere, however why do they not push to take the business from the Steam Packet? Is it really not in their interest, or do the SP have some advantages of being the incumbent? i.e, pretty impossible the get rid of them.?
18-06-2015, 10:04 PM
Find Reply

(18-06-2015, 10:04 PM)Westers Wrote: I know that other ferry companies have business elsewhere, however why do they not push to take the business from the Steam Packet? Is it really not in their interest, or do the SP have some advantages of being the incumbent? i.e, pretty impossible the get rid of them.?

The linkspan agreement, which guarantees sole use by IOMSPC, runs out in 2020, apparently other bids are already coming in.
18-06-2015, 10:10 PM
Website Find Reply
c iom tt Offline

It's not just the link span on the island. The SP have tried to push for a decision as Peel holdings want a comitment from the SP to improve the landing stage at Liverpool. Tynwald have played a blinder by saying they could do a deal with Peel Holdings directly and sub lease it to whoever operates the boats.

18-06-2015, 10:40 PM
Find Reply
Alfie Noakes Offline
Administrator

Threads: 13
Freight is where the year round shipping money is and the IoM Govt's ace card is the infinite freight demand, part of the agreement is having to swallow a regular year round not so profitable if at all passenger service to and from Ireland.
18-06-2015, 11:01 PM
Find Reply
Steady the Edward Offline

Threads: 43
but as we have to book a year in advance they need to have decisions in place well in advance , but lets face it there is not enough trade to warrant another company running alongside SP so it will be them or another company doing the same thing being accused of the same manipulating , would it not be better to say better the Devil we know than the Devil we don' t , wonder what the profit margins are ?? bet they aren't as big as some people think if you put profit as a % of turnover
18-06-2015, 11:18 PM
Find Reply