GUY MARTIN - Winning?
badlyoverdrawnboy Offline

Threads: 2
GUY MARTIN - Winning?
I was interested in Guys comments after the senior. I'd watched his sector times very closely during practice and at times he was as quick as anyone - particularly on the triumph on lap 3 of the first supersport he was quicker than anyone, so much so that i had a cheeky bet on him for the second race.

Obviously he had his issues both mechanically and in the pits during the week but the statement that he was running with Hutchy and because he thought he might be in for a win he didn't want to get into a scrap for a possible 3rd place and spoil hutchys chances.  I'm sorry but thats not the thought process of a winner,  given the history of last lap breakdowns and crashes in the senior and the fuel situation he should have pushed Hutchy and got himself into 3rd. As we saw earlier in the week  Huchy coasted home nearly out of fuel, plus his grasstracking at the nook, so there was always a chance to nick the odd place .

Don't get me wrong its all ifs and maybees but its just that lack of killer instinct,  all very sporting but you know for sure that with a sniff of a champagne cork Hutchy, Gary J and particularly MD would have forced their way past without thinking about it.

In most forms of top level motor sport expressing similar sentiments would have you axed.

I really hope Guy gets a good ride for next year and gets it nailed from the start of the first lap (not glen helen) he'll win one and then retire to become the new fred diibnah
(This post was last modified: 16-06-2015, 08:38 PM by badlyoverdrawnboy.)
16-06-2015, 08:33 PM
Find Reply
wsn03 Offline

Threads: 6
RE: GUY MARTIN - Winning?
(16-06-2015, 08:33 PM)badlyoverdrawnboy Wrote: Don't get me wrong its all ifs and maybees but its just that lack of killer instinct,  all very sporting but you know for sure that with a sniff of a champagne cork Hutchy, Gary J and particularly MD would have forced their way past without thinking about it.

I disagree, I forget when it was, though not that long ago, that Michael Dunlop stated he kept out of another riders race because they were ahead on time and he didn't want to spoil their race - he just tagged onto the back of them at a safe distance. No surprise really, despite his image Michael seems like the ultimate gent on the race track - odd considering his brash demeanor and sometimes fighting /aggressive talk.
17-06-2015, 02:15 AM
Find Reply
mdvineng Offline

Threads: 0
This ethos is one of the unwritten aspects of riding the Mountain course and to be applauded
17-06-2015, 07:36 AM
Find Reply
SPJ Offline

(17-06-2015, 02:15 AM)wsn03 Wrote:
(16-06-2015, 08:33 PM)badlyoverdrawnboy Wrote: Don't get me wrong its all ifs and maybees but its just that lack of killer instinct,  all very sporting but you know for sure that with a sniff of a champagne cork Hutchy, Gary J and particularly MD would have forced their way past without thinking about it.

I disagree, I forget when it was, though not that long ago, that Michael Dunlop stated he kept out of another riders race because they were ahead on time and he didn't want to spoil their race - he just tagged onto the back of them at a safe distance. No surprise really, despite his image Michael seems like the ultimate gent on the race track - odd considering his brash demeanor and sometimes fighting /aggressive talk.

I think it was with Gary Johnson in last years Supersport race. Michael also shows marshals and other riders a lot of respect when yellow flags are out.
17-06-2015, 08:53 AM
Find Reply
coll83 Offline

Our senior Marshall stated that out of all the top boys when a major incident occurred a few years ago the only one who completed disrespected the flag was Hutchy. said he passed them at full whack while a rider was down and they was in the road. What a Tw@t
17-06-2015, 09:39 AM
Find Reply
Sussex Ninja Gal' Offline

Threads: 11
(17-06-2015, 09:39 AM)coll83 Wrote: Our senior Marshall stated that out of all the top boys when a major incident occurred a few years ago the only one who completed disrespected the flag was Hutchy. said he passed them at full whack while a rider was down and they was in the road. What a Tw@t

I remember that, but it's interesting to hear the perspective from a Marshal: & indeed a Senior Marshal to boot. I know Hutchy purely races to win, but he let himself down big-time there by the sound of things. And who can forget Michael & Guy's barely-veiled ire after last year's Senior when William D crashed near the Les Graham Memorial? Conor appeared to slow down a wee bit at the scene of the accident, but certainly seemed to benefit from his alleged actions - as he went on to finish second ahead of Guy...
17-06-2015, 11:23 AM
Find Reply
Deek Offline

Does anyone else think this is a stupid ill-informed thread? So Guy doesn't have the mental aptitude to win and Hutchy is a tw@t. Not very objective views.

Everyone to their own I suppose.
17-06-2015, 01:19 PM
Find Reply
badlyoverdrawnboy Offline

(17-06-2015, 01:19 PM)Deek Wrote: Does anyone else think this is a stupid ill-informed thread?  So Guy doesn't have the mental aptitude to win and Hutchy is a tw@t.  Not very objective views.

Everyone to their own I suppose.

yeh I'm ill informed - only been involved in motorsport for 52 years, born into a racing family - raced myself in 3 different disciplines (2 and 4 wheels) and quietly sponsored several winners including 2 british champions and marshalled at the tt since 1979- and to be fair Guy hasn't won on the island he wasn't anywhere near this year and I doubt he ever will now despite me really wanting him to.

I didn't start the hutchy bashing - my point was that the winners would have gone past whilst there was a chance of a better position or a podium I was not saying that the way they would get past would be ungentlemanly - I'm not sure that when MD held back he was giving up the chance of a better posiition.

I'm afraid the sport is now attracting too many of the prawn sandwich, bucket list, towie watching  x factor wanabees that keep the mountain road shut and the hospital full sadly many of them have been drawn by Guys telly antics and the current craze for "personality" sadly not many of them know anything really about the sport only what they get from twitter and PR spin doctors.

They are also the type that have caused Malcolm to close this forum and deprive a lot of knowledgeable and experienced followers to lose the facility - you can always spot them they are the ones that think they can put offensive words into posts and if they use an @ in it it becomes unoffensive - thanks Malcolm hope you sort the baddies out and name and shame them if they live on the island publish their address and we can all go round and 'water' their gardens for them after the forum meet.
17-06-2015, 01:52 PM
Find Reply
Owl Man Offline

Threads: 1
(17-06-2015, 02:15 AM)wsn03 Wrote:

I also disagree to a point, didn't Michael say that he should have over taken the back marker that he had the incident with but didn't want to spoil Bruce's race. I have tried to choose my words carefully I don't wish to start a discussion on the actual incident. Didn't he also stop to aid his brother who fell in practice!
17-06-2015, 10:44 PM
Find Reply
Ackerman Offline

It's one of the more fascinating aspects of the TT that it isn't bogged down in etiquette (flags aside of course) and each race plays out according to the participants on the day. It's what makes the TT special. Just wait until the Tour De France starts - you need a manual of etiquette to keep up!
20-06-2015, 10:06 AM
Find Reply
Revvin rich Offline

Threads: 70
If it happens it will if doesn't it won't and it won't be for the lack of trying it's just that there are 4 or 5 that are on it , there is mcpint, Anstey, hutchey ,mickey d and even hillier  it's very competitive these days for guy to get a win! But through the years that's TT racing
23-06-2015, 07:14 PM
Find Reply
drev Offline
Just Getting Started

From what I recall Guy found an extra mph or 2 once Hutchy caught him. His fast senior lap he followed Hutchy until Hutchy overshot Signpost.
24-06-2015, 10:40 PM
Find Reply
bsa499 Offline

Threads: 48
I'm certain Guy Martin is quick enough to win a TT and I really hope he does but there have been many who seem to have 'deserved' a win but never had one.
25-06-2015, 12:33 PM
Find Reply