Enough is Enough
Jan Grainger Offline

Threads: 16
RE: Enough is Enough
(17-06-2015, 12:24 PM)Splashdn Wrote: This IS sad news. We have no idNick ea what is going on behind the scenes, I am devastated, and disgusted that Malcolm is being abused.

This has developed into a useful and interesting forum, and after the break down on "the other side", you could see that folk were still joining here, so it's a real shame.

Nick, it's not only abusive and idiot posters it's what you also suggest, problems behind the scenes. Spam, hackers, those destructive creatures from other lands hell bent on doing irrepairable damage to people's websites, there all out there, creating havoc .
Although I rarely posted despite being a Member for many years I found this site invaluable during TT and Manx time being sat here on the other side of the world. I have made so many wonderful friends via this site and for me today, well, this is very sad news.
Thanks Malcolm and best wishes. At least I will still be able to read latest motorcycle race news.
Jan from Oz
17-06-2015, 10:42 PM
Find Reply
Ken37.73 Offline

Threads: 1
Thanks Malcolm, that's a real shame.
Ken

Have set up on Twitter so can hopefully get connected with a few heads over there.
@KTree773
17-06-2015, 11:40 PM
Find Reply
canamant Offline

Thanks Malcolm.  We could all see that something was going wrong, but had no idea that those issues were just the tip of the iceberg.  Freedom to discuss and express yourself also comes with responsibility to treat others with dignity and respect.  Unfortunately those qualities are becoming thin on the ground for some people.  I'll miss the discussions with the boys and girls on here.  I just hope that the idiots are very happy with what they have achieved.
18-06-2015, 12:08 AM
Find Reply
Sam Pato Offline

Threads: 24
An unfortunate victory for the destructive minority.

I can't help feel a certain guilt that the mass migration of the iomtt forum faithful has resulted in the death of the long standing (and much valued) TTWebsite forum.  Hopefully it can go on in some format for those who were active here before the rest of us piled in.

I've probably checked a TT related forum most days for the last 15 years or so.  Not sure what I'll be doing with myself now.  I've avoided (the IMO bizarre voyeuristic) Facecloth so far - this may be the event that tips me over the edge.

Thanks and best wishes to all who I've enjoyed the highs and lows with (and occasionally crossed swords with) over the years.

I've got that - just got home at the end of summer holiday - feeling...................a bit lost.

All the best

Sam Paterson (also in Aus)
Warning Level 0% since 2006
18-06-2015, 02:04 AM
Find Reply
Jan Grainger Offline

(18-06-2015, 02:04 AM)Sam Pato Wrote: An unfortunate victory for the destructive minority.

I can't help feel a certain guilt that the mass migration of the iomtt forum faithful has resulted in the death of the long standing (and much valued) TTWebsite forum.  Hopefully it can go on in some format for those who were active here before the rest of us piled in.

I've probably checked a TT related forum most days for the last 15 years or so.  Not sure what I'll be doing with myself now.  I've avoided (the IMO bizarre voyeuristic) Facecloth so far - this may be the event that tips me over the edge.

Thanks and best wishes to all who I've enjoyed the highs and lows with (and occasionally crossed swords with) over the years.

I've got that - just got home at the end of summer holiday - feeling...................a bit lost.

All the best

Sam Paterson (also in Aus)
Yes Sam, we met on this site many many years ago along with the amazing Don Simons. We had some fun (off forum) didn't we.
Best wishes to everyone.
Jan
18-06-2015, 04:50 AM
Find Reply
Sam Pato Offline

Threads: 24
Hi Jan,

Indeed we did - much like a lot of things I've perhaps taken it for granted a bit.  We had a wealth of forums a few years back (including Paddockgossip where the real turkeys could go to abuse each other)

I'm continually perplexed by the need for some people to cause aggravation in the digital world - I just can't see the point of being aggressive to someone who you have no contact with other than via the keyboard.  It just becomes tedious contradiction.  Much like I've always wondered what sort of a human being writes his name on a toilet wall.

Hey ho........hopefully we'll find another way to keep it going.

All the best

Sam
Warning Level 0% since 2006
18-06-2015, 05:17 AM
Find Reply
numptydad Offline

Threads: 6
This is sad news, and I am sincerely sorry that Malcolm has had to put up with all the abuse.  The point has been  made in other replies about this, that the behaviour towards him seems to reflect that of those actually seen to be besmirching the TT by their presence and antics.

Personally, I have urged Malcolm to have a long break, and maybe he can re-start activity on here ;  somehow I doubt it, he seems utterly shellshocked, and who can blame him

best wishes Malcolm
and good luck everybody

i fear for the TT

Dave Chadwick
18-06-2015, 08:45 AM
Find Reply
Dogsbody Offline

Threads: 10
Sorry you had to suffer abuse from a few idiots Malcolm, but it doesn't surprise me. I've given up on some forums because of bad language and infighting that seems to proliferate these days.
 One possible answer is that adopted by a motorhome forum, that of a subscription fee. It would seem that nobody will pay £10 to cause trouble or use bad language, I assume if they have to make a payment they are traceable!
Best wishes for the future. Dogsbody
18-06-2015, 09:27 AM
Find Reply
the old man Offline

Threads: 8
sorry this has happened i will say goodbye and good luck to all my friends on here 
18-06-2015, 09:42 AM
Find Reply
c iom tt Offline

(18-06-2015, 09:27 AM)Dogsbody Wrote: Sorry you had to suffer abuse from a few idiots Malcolm, but it doesn't surprise me. I've given up on some forums because of bad language and infighting that seems to proliferate these days.
 One possible answer is that adopted by a motorhome forum, that of a subscription fee. It would seem that nobody will pay £10 to cause trouble or use bad language, I assume if they have to make a payment they are traceable!
Best wishes for the future. Dogsbody

I suggested the taking of debit/credit card details as part of the registration process on the other site as a means of identifying the user. Whilst I would be more than happy to pay a registration fee, I suspect many others would not.
Malcom has been more than fair in letting people register, only to be met with abuse when they are brought to task.
There are always people who will cause trouble, like the lunatic who is locked up for walking on open roads, but like him, if they can be identified, proper actions can be taken against them. I feel however if they had to be identified before they were allowed to post, most would either not register in the first place, or for the ones who know they can be traced would think twice about sending anything offensive. That should take out 99.9% of the issues.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you want something bad enough, you'll find a way. If you don't, you'll find an excuse
18-06-2015, 10:31 AM
Find Reply
cookie77 Offline

Threads: 3
Thank you for your efforts, I know when you pm'd me you were having trouble with quite a few members, so it doesn't come as a great surprise unfortunately.

thanks again, such a shame.
18-06-2015, 10:36 AM
Find Reply
imort Offline

No!!! this forum whiles away the hours at work.....

Good Luck Malcolm

and "Dont let the B******S grind you down"
18-06-2015, 10:38 AM
Find Reply
c iom tt Offline

(18-06-2015, 10:38 AM)imort Wrote: No!!! this forum whiles away the hours at work.....

Good Luck Malcolm

One of the things that irks Malcom, and has led him to taking this action is members who post swear words and put in symbols to get around the filters, when he has asked specifically for members not to do that.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you want something bad enough, you'll find a way. If you don't, you'll find an excuse
18-06-2015, 10:48 AM
Find Reply
Tom Loughridge Offline

Threads: 12
Always someone who has to ruin things foe the majority, been on here foe the last ten years and we never had anything like this in the past, this is the last of the TT website forums we had. Never could understand why people seem to be afraid to identify themselves by using there own names, like Larry Devlin, Jan Grainger and the late Don Symons and many others did
When the flag drops the bullcrap stops
18-06-2015, 11:19 AM
Find Reply
wsn03 Offline

Threads: 6
Believe it or not Tom I do get why people don't use their real names. I've actually witnessed someone on the last forum expressing how he was looking forward to meeting me at a forum meeting in a very sinister way, I note he never mentioned he would be with 4 of his friends (I spotted in another thread) - had I been able to get to the forum meeting he'd have had a pleasant surprise waiting for him if he was up to no good (not only from me, but I'm a local lad with a lot of handy friends on tap).
There are so many oddballs online that some people don't want to be stalked by them.

What I have noticed though is that the genuine people get in touch via pm to those they want to and share all the relevant information. I have met so many of the anonymous names that way, including stopping in to visit one in Holland having never met in person before, I've made so many face to face friends on the forum - Sticky, Amsterdam, Steddy Eddy, Helmand TT..... the list goes on.

Full regristration to the forum owner, payment (for his time and effort), signing a contract or user agreement, and making the forum visible to users only would solve most of Malcolm's problems. Anyone serious would do this. Would I give up £10 or whatever Pounds to talk bikes and TT to the likes of you? Too right, not a lot else interests me.
But I don't want the lunatics / bike thieves etc stalking me particularly.
18-06-2015, 11:36 AM
Find Reply
Yamanx Offline

Threads: 12
(18-06-2015, 11:36 AM)wsn03 Wrote: Believe it or not Tom I do get why people don't use their real names. I've actually witnessed someone on the last forum expressing how he was looking forward to meeting me at a forum meeting in a very sinister way, I note he never mentioned he would be with 4 of his friends (I spotted in another thread) - had I been able to get to the forum meeting he'd have had a pleasant surprise waiting for him if he was up to no good (not only from me, but I'm a local lad with a lot of handy friends on tap).
There are so many oddballs online that some people don't want to be stalked by them.

What I have noticed though is that the genuine people get in touch via pm to those they want to and share all the relevant information. I have met so many of the anonymous names that way, including stopping in to visit one in Holland having never met in person before, I've made so many face to face friends on the forum - Sticky, Amsterdam, Steddy Eddy, Helmand TT..... the list goes on.

Full regristration to the forum owner, payment (for his time and effort), signing a contract or user agreement, and making the forum visible to users only would solve most of Malcolm's problems. Anyone serious would do this. Would I give up £10 or whatever Pounds to talk bikes and TT to the likes of you? Too right, not a lot else interests me.
But I don't want the lunatics / bike thieves etc stalking me particularly.

Real Road Racing tried that a while ago and it failed. People won't part with money, someone will just come up with another forum for the TT, it may or may not flourish, it may or may not have similar problems.

Registered users only viewing will help, as it would null a lot of the slanderous content being available for legal action, so the administrator wouldn't have to read every post with a view to protecting themselves from any litigation with regard to what people say, look at FB and Twit you can and people regularly do, say anything they want, whether true or not.

People will always have disagreements about things, varying backgrounds, varying reasons for going to the TT, different opinions about how things should be run, the governing bodies etc. The list would go on and on. So there will sometimes be robust debate on any forum, a good thing I think, even though the common subject is a passion for all. Unfortunately and as you have alluded to, some will get personally abusive and this is where it breaks down.

Its a shame Malcolm has decided to shut down the forum (Not the regular updates) but with a team of people behind him it would be far easier to police the board, its too much time to do on your own.

Good luck though whatever he decides to do.

"By all means think yourself big, but never think others small........."  R.F. Scott
18-06-2015, 11:54 AM
Find Reply
SeamasRC30 Offline
Just Getting Started

I for one am totally dismayed by people's behavior towards others on this forum and others.

This site is our 'lifeline' when there is no racing and now it has been 'cut' be a few people with
brains smaller than a grain of sugar.

I totally agree with Malcolm's decision and hope he gets some retribution for his stress.

I'll be at a bit of a loss from now on  Icon_frown
18-06-2015, 12:36 PM
Find Reply
imort Offline

(18-06-2015, 10:48 AM)c iom tt Wrote:
(18-06-2015, 10:38 AM)imort Wrote: No!!! this forum whiles away the hours at work.....

Good Luck Malcolm

One of the things that irks Malcom, and has led him to taking this action is members who post swear words and put in symbols to get around the filters, when he has asked specifically for members not to do that.

RE: TT build up

The wife has started to take the 'P' out of me as she has seen me checking my 'List of thing to take' last week.
Bike MOT and tax next week!

HaHa... Pot/kettle  Icon_wink 
18-06-2015, 01:15 PM
Find Reply
taxman Offline

Good idea with the fees btw - I like that and would be happy to pay or even give my card details.
I would also be happy to use "real name" posting only.
18-06-2015, 01:54 PM
Find Reply
taxman Offline

(18-06-2015, 11:36 AM)wsn03 Wrote: What I have noticed though is that the genuine people get in touch via pm to those they want to and share all the relevant information. I have met so many of the anonymous names that way, including stopping in to visit one in Holland having never met in person before, I've made so many face to face friends on the forum - Sticky, Amsterdam, Steddy Eddy, Helmand TT..... the list goes on.

These comments here are the reason why something like this is worth fighting for. The friends you make and the people you can help along the way are things you can't put a price on.

Linking a first timer to a bus timetable or giving them some pointers about which campsite to use or how to get from Ballaugh Bridge to Braddan Bridge when the roads are shut. These things are so much more useful and important than rows between rival rider fans about who would have won what if they/their bike was fit.

Sometimes I despair.
18-06-2015, 02:06 PM
Find Reply