What would you do to support Malcom - please list it?
dommyman Offline
Perennial Contributor

Threads: 21
RE: What would you do to support Malcom - please list it?
(18-06-2015, 09:41 PM)Westers Wrote:
(18-06-2015, 08:19 PM)dommyman Wrote:  Also, I don't see the need to hide behind pseudonyms on any Forum, what is wrong with using your proper name, even if it only shows up in your details. 

Wow, your parents had a sense of humour to call you Dommy Man  Icon_mrgreen Icon_mrgreen Sorry, couldn't resist that.

Real names wouldn't work as you could make up any name to register, especially if you had no intention of meeting people from the forum, and just wanted to post here. If you went down the one off payment route, and paid by card, then you would at least know whether the name that was used to register was the same as the one on the card - if not, refuse the registration until both names matched.

Having said that, I'm not keen on giving my card details to a forum - how will this forum have the means of securely storing the card details? 
Well  Westers, I was born with bandy legs and my parents thought I would be the ideal shape for a wideline Featherbed ! Hence the name, but it was Dommy Boy when I was younger !
The answer to anybody who does not wish to give their card details to Forums is to use PayPal.  This way, none of your bank details become known, but your other details do.
19-06-2015, 02:33 PM
Find Reply
tigerted Offline

Threads: 6
(18-06-2015, 05:57 PM)sticky Wrote: Things we can do is take the weight off a bit by thinking about where we post.  Make sure it goes in the relevant section of the forum and save the Malcolm the job of having to shift it.

Now that the TT is over a lot of the annual numpties will disappear again, so hopefully it will be quieter on the admin front.

We're a diverse bunch, so there's always going to be the occasional difference of opinion but if we can try and keep it amicable.  After all, we're all interested in the same basic subject!

Think about what you say in a post.  Free speech doesn't include libel or slander!

I hope we can keep going here and maybe the best way forward is if we all have a bit of a think before we post anything.

I am not too sure how these things work but if its possible to moderate at a certain time during the day between particular times I would be willing to. Apologies to those that don't like hem but I cycle a lot and I am interested in those that tour on bicycles so I use a site called Crazyguyonabike daily for entertainment. Because I use it so often I feel compelled voluntarily to subscribe to it on a yearly basis as it costs Neil a lot of money to keep it going. So given that if I found this site as compelling to use all of the year I would be more than willing to pay a moderate amount to maintain its existence.
Another cycling forum I use is CTC and it seems that as soon as anything offensive is posted the mods remove it and it does seem that we can have a vigorous discussion and disagreements on various things but we never resort to insulting each other.

I understand how Malcolm must be feeling as after posting an innocent opinion on another motorcycle forum I received a few nasty replies and I wanted to hunt them down personally to discuss it face to face which of cause is silly so in the end I just never used the site again.
19-06-2015, 08:14 PM
Find Reply
Smidsy Offline
Orange Army - Windy Corner

Threads: 1
(18-06-2015, 02:34 PM)wsn03 Wrote: Which combination of the following would be able to do to support him say in the event of Malcolm giving it a 2nd thought (just for interest and to let Malcolm know he doesn't have to be on his own on this).

1. Pay a fee?
2. Moderate?
3. Process user requests?
4. Assist with legal (should that actually happen after people have paid a fee and filled out a user agreement etc ((doubt they would when they can annoy people on free websites)
5. Other?

I'd happily do 1,2,3 and maybe 5 depending what it was.
"I stole these views from the cools kids, so I could fit in."
You don’t stop riding because you’re getting old, you get old because you stop riding
21-06-2015, 05:25 PM
Find Reply
Rc588 Offline

Threads: 2
I Agree with a 1 of payment via pay pal or credit card so malc has details.

I help moderate the Roc forum and apart from spammers have never had to delete or lock a post. In the Majority we all know each other. This TT forum is way harder to moderate, and if you have paid a fee to use it moves it in to another level.

Another option would be to move the forum under the tt supporters banner, ie to post you have to be a member of the tt supporters club, this will help wheedle out the idiots, and you are not paying to use a forum.

As you are all aware I use Rc588 this is not to hide behind posts its to help protect my collection from undesirables or people with best intentions who provide way more info or details on a post that anyone can see, and believe me it happens I rang Duke Marketing over a post on the old forum and had it taken down immediately.

Regards Rc588
21-06-2015, 06:31 PM
Find Reply
HammerHead Offline

Threads: 23
None of us knows Malcolm's personal circumstances and he may simply not want the income from people paying or the extra responsibility that running a paid service brings. However, even if no charge is made needing a credit card to register might be worth thinking about - it at least gives some comfort of knowing peoples' real identity. Even this though might open another can of worms with data protection and needing a secure element of the site to take such details.

I have moderated forums before - it is a thankless task and I found it very time consuming. Would I do it again? Well probably yes I would if it were the difference between losing the forum or not but I wouldn't be at the front of the queue wanting to do it.

"There is nothing so momentary as a sporting achievement, and nothing so lasting as the memory of it."
22-06-2015, 12:16 PM
Find Reply
wsn03 Offline

(22-06-2015, 12:16 PM)HammerHead Wrote: None of us knows Malcolm's personal circumstances and he may simply not want the income from people paying or the extra responsibility that running a paid service brings. However, even if no charge is made needing a credit card to register might be worth thinking about - it at least gives some comfort of knowing peoples' real identity. Even this though might open another can of worms with data protection and needing a secure element of the site to take such details.

I have moderated forums before - it is a thankless task and I found it very time consuming. Would I do it again? Well probably yes I would if it were the difference between losing the forum or not but I wouldn't be at the front of the queue wanting to do it.

I'm sure from what he has said Malcolm wants no income from this. That's fine, how about donating it to charity? The point with charging people (eg £10 / anum) is that it stops trolls and trouble makers from bothering because a) they're now traceable and b) they dont want to pay to pursue their activities if they can cause trouble elsewhere for free
23-06-2015, 01:16 PM
Find Reply
Maca944 Offline

Threads: 1
(23-06-2015, 01:16 PM)wsn03 Wrote: I'm sure from what he has said Malcolm wants no income from this. That's fine, how about donating it to charity? The point with charging people (eg £10 / anum) is that it stops trolls and trouble makers from bothering because a) they're now traceable and b) they dont want to pay to pursue their activities if they can cause trouble elsewhere for free

Actually that might not be a bad idea. And why not support the Isle of Man AirMed helicopters then? You can donate using Paypal on their site, so I guess there must be an easy way to combine that with the registration process.
23-06-2015, 01:59 PM
Website Find Reply
Splashdown Offline

Threads: 32
Great idea! What about giving the new member a choice?
Rob Vine Fund, Phil Hogg Fund, Manx Grand Prix Helicopter, TT Riders Association, Marshals Association, TT Supporters Club, Joey Dunlop Fund.
Sorry if I've missed anyone out, but it would seem fair to give a new member options.
23-06-2015, 02:29 PM
Find Reply
Steady the Edward Offline

Threads: 43
Malcolm has said he does not want to go down the payment route , but to me if he was to go there then the first thing that should be looked at would be some insurance for Malcolm and the site , then at the end of the year any thing left go to said charities,

23-06-2015, 02:41 PM
Find Reply
wsn03 Offline

(23-06-2015, 02:41 PM)Steady the Edward Wrote: Malcolm has said he does not want to go down the payment route  , but to me if he was to go there then the first thing that should be looked at would be some insurance for Malcolm and the site , then at the end of the year any thing left go to said  charities,

Eddy, that's the cleverest (in fact the only clever) thing you've ever said. I think that's a great idea.
Now that we've still got a forum you can delete me off facebook Icon_lol
No on second thoughts, I need an old fashioned bit of uncompromising Northern reality on there, lets leave it as is!
(This post was last modified: 23-06-2015, 04:12 PM by wsn03.)
23-06-2015, 04:06 PM
Find Reply
wsn03 Offline

(23-06-2015, 02:29 PM)Splashdown Wrote: What about giving the new member a choice?
Rob Vine Fund, Phil Hogg Fund, Manx Grand Prix Helicopter, TT Riders Association, Marshals Association, TT Supporters Club, Joey Dunlop Fund.
Sorry if I've missed anyone out, but it would seem fair to give a new member options.

+ 1
And if someone volunteered to administer payments it would remove any headache for Malcolm whilst removing trolls and giving some charities some much needed money
23-06-2015, 04:21 PM
Find Reply
Malcolm Offline
Administrator

Threads: 18,390
I have already stated a couple of times, I DO NOT want to introduce money into this operation under any circumstance.

I really do appreciate the sentiment from all of you in this regard, however I would prefer it if you were to make a donation directly to one of the charities of your choosing.

I started this site with the intention of doing so with free access to those who follow the sport and that is still my intent.

So can we please drop the money contribution theme.

Please,

Malcolm
23-06-2015, 06:33 PM
Website Find Reply