What would you do to support Malcom - please list it?
RedlineRick Offline
Cotton Top

Threads: 1
RE: What would you do to support Malcom - please list it?
(18-06-2015, 05:44 PM)Steady the Edward Wrote: >snip< that if we could find one or two people that Malcolm could trust to help him should ease the burden if we could find just 5 or 6 people that could help with the moderating one day a week it would give Malcolm much needed time to have a life    , or am I just talking rubbish as usual , sorry if I am , just trying to think of something positive to help , for I like most others would be very sad to see it go and would rather see if we cant find some way of making some changes that could help Malcolm keep the site running 

This is a 'Go Big Or Go Home' situation Eddy as you can see from the stats I've pasted in from a (ahem) slightly larger forum.

Pay attention to "page 1 of 3" at the bottom.

11,451,426 Total Posts
331,195 Total Members
12347 users are online (in the past 60 minutes)

The moderating team
Member Name        Group             Forums        Last  Active  
Andre S.       Global Moderator    All Forums  Today, 16:33 Online  
Andrew         Global Moderator    All Forums  Private  
Anthony Tosie  News Editor         All Forums  Today, 13:31  
Barney T.      Administrators      All Forums  Today, 15:49  
bdsams         Senior News Editor  All Forums  Today, 15:11  
Brandon C.     Global Moderator    All Forums  Today, 15:55 Online  
Brian M.       Supervisor          All Forums  Today, 16:45 Online  
Caleo          Moderator           All Forums  Jun 16 2015 07:56  
Charisma       Global Moderator    All Forums  Jun 16 2015 13:08  
D. S.          Moderator           All Forums  Private  
Damien R.      Global Moderator    All Forums  Private  
Daniel F.      Administrators      All Forums  Jun 16 2015 19:58  
DaveLegg       Developer           All Forums  Today, 12:06  
Denis W.       Supervisor          All Forums  Today, 13:19  
duoi           News Editor         All Forums  Yesterday, 22:48  
Eric           Supervisor          All Forums  Today, 13:21  
Fezmid         News Editor         All Forums  Jun 16 2015 17:00  
Frogboy        Founder             All Forums  Jun 12 2015 18:16  
gcaw           Senior News Editor  All Forums  Jun 16 2015 12:48 

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 Next
"A few yrs ago they screwed up a perfectly good working website just because they want to be 'modern' and now we have a sluggish ugly problematic and feature lacking website. but hey, its modern..., old sites are always better".
18-06-2015, 06:04 PM
Find Reply
MIKE B8S Offline

Threads: 4
A small fee is acceptable. Would prefer it if the money went to manx charitys though . How would the moderation work? Is it possible to implement a automatic system where after a certain number of reports to a single post it is then deleted and there warning level that malcom already has in place goes up? Forgive me if this seems daft. I'm not very good with computers ( you'd thingk a 22 yr old would be!)
18-06-2015, 08:06 PM
Find Reply
dommyman Offline
Perennial Contributor

Threads: 21
I would be happy to pay a one off fee of say £10 to keep this Forum going.  If it is paid by card, Malcolm will have your details, so nobody could remain anonymous.  You are then given a secure password via email.  Also, I don't see the need to hide behind pseudonyms on any Forum, what is wrong with using your proper name, even if it only shows up in your details.  It will be a great shame if this Forum is allowed to close after all the positive response on here.  It appears that problems got a lot worse when the IOM forum closed, so I am guessing the same nasty people are behind both.
Anyway, where am I going to post my Countdown photos next year if we lose this site ?
18-06-2015, 08:19 PM
Find Reply
captainsparkledotcom Offline

Threads: 365
I did offer to help moderate the other place, as it seemed there wasn't anybody there most of the time, but, in retrospect, I'm glad I didn't. Didn't get a reply anyway.
I couldn't offer any great length of time to moderate as I'm usually not on for long at any one time. I do visit a lot, and leave a tab open, even when I'm not actually 'in the building'!
I would be willing to pay a fee, either to Malcolm or split between charities, I think Malcolm deserves some kind of remuneration.
Perhaps an idea based on MIKE B8S' suggestion, whereby we 'self moderate' the posts with a scoring system from members, would cover a fair amount of time, but it only takes seconds for a libellous statement to be posted to the ether!
I think paying members would be quite sympathetic to the cause. (perhaps??)
Just my thoughts.
carry on!
18-06-2015, 08:21 PM
Website Find Reply

(18-06-2015, 08:19 PM)dommyman Wrote: Anyway, where am I going to post my Countdown photos next year if we lose this site ?

smilie

(just gota use these things!!)
18-06-2015, 08:22 PM
Website Find Reply
Steady the Edward Offline

Threads: 43
If a fee was to be paid could it be used to get insurance cover for Malcolm and the site ?

Ps Dommy you can post your countdown photos to my email address no problem lol

18-06-2015, 08:27 PM
Find Reply

(18-06-2015, 08:27 PM)Steady the Edward Wrote: If a fee was to be paid could it be used to get insurance cover for Malcolm and the site ?

Ps Dommy you can post your countdown photos to my email address no problem lol

That's a good shout Eddy, if such a thing is available!

BTW Eddy you have Zero reputation!

Same as me then!
18-06-2015, 08:35 PM
Website Find Reply
Rednine Offline

Threads: 5
I would be more than happy to go along with ericcane and Kursaal Flyer.

Smoke me a kipper...........................I'll be back for breakfast Icon_wink
18-06-2015, 08:48 PM
Find Reply
Westers Offline
Banned

Threads: 3
(18-06-2015, 08:19 PM)dommyman Wrote:  Also, I don't see the need to hide behind pseudonyms on any Forum, what is wrong with using your proper name, even if it only shows up in your details. 

Wow, your parents had a sense of humour to call you Dommy Man  Icon_mrgreen Icon_mrgreen Sorry, couldn't resist that.

Real names wouldn't work as you could make up any name to register, especially if you had no intention of meeting people from the forum, and just wanted to post here. If you went down the one off payment route, and paid by card, then you would at least know whether the name that was used to register was the same as the one on the card - if not, refuse the registration until both names matched.

Having said that, I'm not keen on giving my card details to a forum - how will this forum have the means of securely storing the card details? 
18-06-2015, 09:41 PM
Find Reply
runningbear Offline

Threads: 0
im happy to pay a fee and no tech expert but think whatever is done some idiots will find a way to get round most schemes but there must be ways of identifying them and keeping them off the site.sorry not much help but i am attempting some further computer training over next two weeks and if i can help would be glad to.bob
18-06-2015, 10:52 PM
Find Reply
SPJ Offline

I'd happily pay a small fee, either to a nominated charity or towards site maintenance. We had a similar problem on another bike forum, partly with spammers and partly with members deliberately inciting others ending up with insults, abuse, threats etc. It was also moderated by just one person. The solution was for additional moderators taking a lot of the hassle & stress away. Enjoy your time away Malcolm, let us know what you decide.
18-06-2015, 11:35 PM
Find Reply
numptydad Offline

Threads: 6
I might, after some advice, be able to Moderate, being retired, I have some spare time, less than I ever bargained for, mind, and i would be willing to pay a fee to establish my bona fides

atb
Dave
19-06-2015, 08:26 AM
Find Reply
numptydad Offline

(18-06-2015, 05:57 PM)sticky Wrote:
Now that the TT is over a lot of the annual numpties will disappear again, so hopefully it will be quieter on the admin front.

I hope we can keep going here and maybe the best way forward is if we all have a bit of a think before we post anything.

Who you calling a numpty?  LOL Icon_lol

atb 
Dave
19-06-2015, 08:30 AM
Find Reply
Moose Offline

I'd be happy to pay a small fee and help process user requests, but don't have the time to be a full time moderator. I may be able to help with other technical tasks, although I'm not a web admin/developer I do work in IT support.
19-06-2015, 09:13 AM
Find Reply
Jan Grainger Offline

Threads: 16
(18-06-2015, 03:07 PM)larryd Wrote: Would pay a fee AND accept a secure password to the posting activity, if this is technically practicable.

Or a substantial deposit (refundable on closure of the "account")

Depending on the cost I would be more than happy to pay a fee. Like you Larry, everyone knows who I am. However I wonder if paying a fee would stop the morons who create havoc, not only with this forum but within life in general. It's becoming a sad world folks.
Not Happy Jan
ps thank goodness for motorcycle racing.
19-06-2015, 09:46 AM
Find Reply
Dougboy
Unregistered

Posting anonymously is not necessarily a problem or in any way sinister.
There are, shockingly, some people who spend time on web forums and the like when they should be doing something else! Ahem ;-)
19-06-2015, 10:28 AM
AOMR Racing Offline

Threads: 4
Pay a fee and complete a user agreement, no problems with using my real name.

It's done on some other forums shouldnt be an issue on here.

Ken Davis
(This post was last modified: 19-06-2015, 10:48 AM by AOMR Racing.)
19-06-2015, 10:47 AM
Find Reply
wsn03 Offline

(19-06-2015, 10:47 AM)AOMR Racing Wrote: Pay a fee and complete a user agreement, no problems with using my real name.

It's done on some other forums shouldnt be an issue on here.

Ken Davis

Isle of Man Railways Supporters forum had problems with bickering, libellous or insulting comments to their main "customer" - the Railway Management. They stopped the forum.

A few months later we were all messaged, we had to pay a £10 subscription I think by CREDIT CARD, pretty sure we had to fill out our identity details and agree to the a sort of user agreement - it was a fair bit of admin.
Logon is with our full names only, the forum is only visible to MEMBERS ONLY.

They have no trouble at all now, good job done.

People looking for trouble don't need to go to too much effort to find places to cause it. Make it difficult and there's no easy time for them, they won't bother.
19-06-2015, 10:57 AM
Find Reply
modulaire Offline

Threads: 3
1. Every forum needs a couple of mods (5+). The admin can't do all the work.

2. There some forums like Neogaf that asking for real work-email during the registration process (or university/school email-acoounts). Free email accounts like Gmail, Yahoo, Hotmail etc. don't work.
This helps A LOT because you can't just register again with a new free email account/proxy if you are banned.

The 2nd step alone keeps most trolls away.
19-06-2015, 10:59 AM
Find Reply
Splashdown Offline

Threads: 32
I was originally "NickJ" on this site (ten years ago almost), but when I migrated to the "other side", I used Splashdown as I had noticed that site to be more vitriolic than this one. In fairness, I have rarely hidden my true identity. The irony is that we have re-migrated, and dragged the abusers with us.
I would be more than happy to pay an annual fee, and use my real name of Nick Jefferies, yes as in Nick Jefferies the TT racer as I think Westers mentioned yesterday!!
Hopefully, Malcolm, after a well deserved break from running this site will find the strength to re-start the forum.

Clearly most of us (with a few notable exceptions), have absolutely NO idea what's involved in running this site, and all the flack that comes with it.
We merrily post and respond to threads without a care in the world.
My job can be quite stressful  at times, and I liked disappearing into a world of real road racing for a few moments each day.
I will miss it, and judging by the amazing response on here, so will a lot of you.
19-06-2015, 11:28 AM
Find Reply