show us some of your non bike holiday snaps
ericcane Offline
Perennial Contributor

Threads: 7
RE: show us some of your non bike holiday snaps
It's Groudle Glen Eddy.
Hi SILJA,the first one looks like Niarbyl.
01-07-2015, 08:08 PM
Find Reply
SILJA Offline

Threads: 38
Niarbyl is correct! You have my admiration!
Don't be that optimistic! The light in the tunnel can be a train. Sad
01-07-2015, 08:10 PM
Website Find Reply
Steady the Edward Offline

Threads: 43
I so love walking round number 6 just make sure you in the right gear ( top gear or Mr Clark will be after you ) Dreswick Point light house one of our regular places for a walk with the dog and overnight stay
01-07-2015, 08:49 PM
Find Reply
ericcane Offline
Perennial Contributor

[Image: 88cdc401-aeb0-483e-9538-17e334178183_zpsjd3ft3z8.jpg]
01-07-2015, 09:06 PM
Find Reply
ericcane Offline
Perennial Contributor

[Image: 1ef9ef5c-b2de-4347-8cba-8ffc3c08d803_zpsw52bhuan.jpg]
01-07-2015, 09:08 PM
Find Reply
SILJA Offline

(01-07-2015, 08:49 PM)Steady the Edward Wrote: I so love walking round number 6 just make sure you in the right gear ( top gear or Mr Clark will be after you ) Dreswick Point light house one of our regular places for a walk with the dog and overnight stay
Correct Edward! Langness or Dreswick Point Lighthouse! You have my admiration! Langness is the peninsula in Southeast and Dreswick Point is the very south of the peninsula and there is the lighthouse.
01-07-2015, 10:27 PM
Website Find Reply

And your second one Eric is Derby Haven on the way down to our favorite overnight stay at Langness , and the first one if i remember right was when we came ashore one night to do a bit of raping and pillaging and met up with an unusual amount of resistance from the locals , that were usually only too glad to off load the Peel worn out ladies of the night on to us , rumor had it they had invested in a new batch and did not want us running away with them lol
01-07-2015, 11:38 PM
Find Reply

And number 5 SILJA if I am not mistaken is up on Druid dale where if you sit for a while you can often see the Hen Harrier hunting away a magnificent sight , a bird unfortunately getting very rare these days and the Island was a reasonable strong hold for them but I believe that numbers in the Island have fallen over recent years sadly
01-07-2015, 11:58 PM
Find Reply
ericcane Offline
Perennial Contributor

We saw them on Tynwald Day at St.Johns.Apparently there was a dispute about who was buying the next round.

Derbyhaven it is.Did one of the boat trips from Douglas.Well worth the money.
02-07-2015, 05:34 AM
Find Reply
SILJA Offline

Edward you have my admiration again! Right you are! Number 5 is shot in Druidale. I believe the most silent place on the island. Very calm up there. Talking about the Hen Harrier. We have many here where I stay. I can see them every day when riding my push bike towards the shore of the lake. Orebro is a city 200 km west of Stockholm by Sweden's 4th greatest lake, lake Hjalmaren. Look at a map. I have a great interest in bird watching and I'm a member of the local bird watchers organisation. We have Marsh Harriers as well here.

I'll be back with more pictures from the fantastic island. But no more quiz. They are way too easy!
02-07-2015, 07:39 AM
Website Find Reply

I am afraid I don't have that many photos from the Island myself as for years not being able to use a camera while marshaling I got out of the habit of taking a camera with me .
As for the bird watching it is something that I have had a passing interest in , but never got round to spending enough time actually doing it , but now that I am packing the marshaling in I fully intend to be doing more of it and starting to carry a camera around with me a bit more .
I love this thread ,it shows many that have never been to the Island how much there is to be seen and show some of the round and round brigade that there is more to the Magical Isle than a 37,75 mile strip of tarmac
Keep them coming people's .
02-07-2015, 10:29 AM
Find Reply

(01-07-2015, 08:08 PM)ericcane Wrote: It's Groudle Glen Eddy.
Hi SILJA,the first one looks like Niarbyl.

If memory serves me well Eric I think the  Molly  Quircks Glen and the Groudle Glen are on the same stream/river call it what you will .
 Is there a definite distinction of when a stream becomes  a river ?? 
So many unknowns and such a short life to find all the answers , onward and upward . 

Maybe this wee diagram explains a stream and a river status Eddie

[Image: streamorder.jpg]

Streams/Rivers have classifications of 1 to 12, with sources/origin being 1 and something like the Amazon being 12.

The actual point of distinction between a stream/river is not exactly clear.

1 -Stream, 2 Tributary, 3 River and onwards through small river to dammed big river etc...

That's all I know Eddie so please don't come back with any more posers for me.
(I only know that because I helped set up the MRIA website some years ago).

Anyone on here from the Manx Rivers Improvement Association (MRIA) ????

Malcolm.
(This post was last modified: 02-07-2015, 03:04 PM by Malcolm.)
02-07-2015, 10:39 AM
Find Reply
ericcane Offline
Perennial Contributor

Spot on,Eddy I googled Molly Quirks Glen And this is how it's described.
"A narrow wooded glen along the Groudle river.The name comes from the legend of Molly Quirk
who was said to have been robbed and murdered in the glen.There is ,however,no proof of this tale.
Bibaloe walk,a streamside pathway,connects to this glen as does Groudle Glen which is just the other side of the passageway under the main road."
02-07-2015, 02:26 PM
Find Reply
ericcane Offline
Perennial Contributor

[Image: a17ad986-a1ac-4b29-bd7d-5962a1c80134_zpsk27obnvk.jpg]
02-07-2015, 02:40 PM
Find Reply
ericcane Offline
Perennial Contributor

Probably my favourite glen walk ends here.
[Image: e7115955-93de-45ed-addb-4b028cd18e21_zpsltxqlc4h.jpg]
02-07-2015, 02:43 PM
Find Reply

Its some years since we walked them, but we did walk both in our quest to walk all the Glens as well as walking the Raad ny Foillan ,we were successful in walking the Raad ny Foillan but we still have one or two of the Glens that I fear will not be done now that my best mate can no longer do the walking , I can't even remember how many there is supposed to be open to the public , off the top of my head I seam to think it was about 19 then one or two more that were not open to the public but not sure ( job for Malcolm , keep him out of miss chief researching it ! has far too much time on his hands now he has some helpers , lol )
02-07-2015, 02:51 PM
Find Reply
SILJA Offline

I know the headline of this thread but please allow me for a short intermission. Today we've had the warmest day for this summer (so far.) +30° C here in Orebro. I'd like to show the area where we have these Harriers. This is the lake Hjalmaren shot with my mobile phone today. On the pictures it's just a bay. The length of the lake is about 70 miles. At the latest counting in Februari this year we had 57 White-Tailed Eagles as well around the lake.

[Image: Oset.jpg]

[Image: Rynningeviken.jpg]

And now back to Isle of Man! Groudle Glen is mentioned on the thread. My pic of the entrance to the glen:
[Image: GroudleGlen.jpg]

And when you come down to the train station there was a very funny sign some years ago. Is it still there? Lol!
[Image: Sign.jpg]
Maybe I shall explain the railway station. There is a mini railway in Groudle Glen that end at a coffee house close to the sea. Very nice, and they have Davison's ice cream!
(This post was last modified: 02-07-2015, 04:34 PM by SILJA.)
02-07-2015, 04:28 PM
Website Find Reply
Malcolm Offline
Administrator

Threads: 18,390
Alright, can we somehow stop this thread developing into one that is becoming a topic for ramblers, ornithologists and hydrologists for example. There are other websites out there for those who are interested in those topics.

I have allowed photographs of various points around the Isle of Man to be shown on here as some of you wish to show off your prowess with cameras or your knowledge of the Island itself, which does enlighten those who visit only for the racing, and I have no real objection to that. 

I don't actually mind a few photographs of some of the more remote locations that people don't get to see, but what I don't want is this thread drifting away into something that has got absolutely nothing at all to do with the theme of the website, which is - The Isle of Man TT and Motorcycle Road Racing in general.

Please, can we stick to what the site is here for. 

Malcolm.
(This post was last modified: 02-07-2015, 08:28 PM by Malcolm.)
02-07-2015, 05:05 PM
Website Find Reply
dommyman Offline
Perennial Contributor

Threads: 21
(02-07-2015, 05:05 PM)Malcolm Wrote: Alright, can we somehow stop this thread developing into one that is becoming a topic for ramblers, ornithologists and hydrologists for example. There are other websites out there for those who are interested in those topics.

I have allowed photographs of various points around the Isle of Man to be shown on here as some of you wish to show off your prowess with cameras or your knowledge of the Island itself, which does enlighten those who visit only for the racing, and I have no real objection to that. 

I don't actually mind a few photographs of some of the more remote locations that people don't get to see, but what I don't want is this thread drifting away into something that has got absolutely nothing at all to do with the theme of the website, which is - The Isle of Man TT and Motorcycle Road Racing in general.

Please, can we stick to what the site is here for. 

Malcolm.
Over on the other site, as you know Malcolm, there was a very similar thread called "Pictures with memories" and in no time at all there were over 100,000 views.  All these views would have been from TT enthusiasts, and shows that fans love looking at photos of their favorite Island.  I know it is not strictly about racing, but the IOM is an integral part of the TT, and most of us love everything about it. Your comments seem to have stopped this thread in it's tracks, which is a great shame, as it could have been a very popular one.  I am not trying to be controversial, and I hope you don't mind me airing my views.
07-07-2015, 04:54 PM
Find Reply
Malcolm Offline
Administrator

Threads: 18,390
Hi,

As I said in my post, 

I did not tell people to stop posting photographs, I asked them to stop taking the thread away into an area that has absolutely nothing to do with the TT and/or Motorcycle Road Racing. (Rambling, Ornithology, Hydrology).

I thought that was a pretty clear request.
07-07-2015, 05:10 PM
Website Find Reply