Jamie Hamilton transferred to Belfast hospital
Malcolm Offline
Administrator

Threads: 18,390
Jamie Hamilton transferred to Belfast hospital
[Image: jamieandbike.jpg]

Injured motorcycle road racer Jamie Hamilton is said to be making good progress as he recovers in hospital after a high-speed crash.

The 24-year-old Ballyclare man sustained serious head, leg and arm injuries when he came off his bike in the Senior Race at the Isle of Man TT on June 12.

It’s understood he is receiving treatment at a hospital in Belfast after being transferred from Aintree University Hospital, Liverpool.

The former Irish Supersport champion, who joined Dungannon man John Burrows’ team for 2015, was in a critical condition for several days. However, his condition is now described as “stable” and his mother, Helen McComb, says her son is “moving in the right direction”.

“I would like everyone to know that having watched and been with Jamie since his accident last Friday that Jamie has made good progress in the last day,” Ms McComb revealed in a Facebook post at the end of last week.

“Myself, John Burrows, Rachel Burrows, Matty Dickson and Gary Agnew have had a rollercoaster the last six days, though fingers crossed Jamie is moving in the right direction.

“Myself and everyone involved with Jamie in the Cookstown/BE Racing team would like to thank everyone for their support, kind words and prayers.”

Meanwhile, the Jamie Hamilton Supporters’ Club has set up an online fundraising page - http://www.gofundme.com/jamiehamilton - to help Jamie and his family during what is expected to be a lengthy period of recovery.

[Image: newtownabbeylogo.jpg]
23-06-2015, 09:25 PM
Website Find Reply
maybolezx12r Offline

Threads: 28
RE: Jamie Hamilton transferred to Belfast hospital
Great news sounds like a long road ahead of Jamie but its the right road to be on.

Mountain Marshal from 2013 Icon_biggrin
24-06-2015, 09:28 AM
Find Reply
imort Offline

Threads: 3
Superb to hear this.... great young lad 
24-06-2015, 10:11 AM
Find Reply
HammerHead Offline

Threads: 23
(24-06-2015, 09:28 AM)maybolezx12r Wrote: Great news sounds like a long road ahead of Jamie but its the right road to be on.

+1

"There is nothing so momentary as a sporting achievement, and nothing so lasting as the memory of it."
24-06-2015, 10:11 AM
Find Reply
Superbike Offline

Threads: 4
Fab news thinking of you Jamie and your family get well soon buddy.
24-06-2015, 03:43 PM
Find Reply
Revvin rich Offline

Threads: 70
That is good news  it's a move in the right direction keep in there Jamie!
24-06-2015, 08:19 PM
Find Reply
Malcolm Offline
Administrator

Threads: 18,390
[Image: jamiehandmum.jpg]
Mum's vigil as race ace Jamie Hamilton fights back after TT crash

The devoted mother of a Northern Ireland road racer badly injured in a 170mph crash at the Isle of Man TT has said her son is her life - but she will back him 110% if he decides to get back on a motorcycle.

Ballyclare biker Jamie Hamilton is on the long road to recovery and back in Belfast after the high-speed crash.

The 24-year-old suffered severe head, leg, and arm injuries when he came off his bike at one of the fastest parts of the 37-mile course during the Senior Isle of Man TT, the main and final race.

Jamie was initially flown by air ambulance to the Aintree University Hospital in Liverpool, but has been transferred to the Royal Victoria Hospital.

His mum Helen McComb is still in shock but has been at his bedside every day since the devastating collision on June 12.

"He's talking but he's a bit confused, and has mixed emotions. I don't think it's really hit him yet," she said. "Jamie has been quite disorientated, and it's hard for him to take things in. My priority is to deal with what we can because we've to just face it.

"At least he had improved enough to be able to make the journey home. That was a big step for Jamie, me and the team."

The biker, known as 'The Hammer', is no longer critically ill, and is expected to undergo surgery on his arm and leg later this week.

Jamie is awake and knows he is in hospital, but not the extent of his injuries.

"He asked what happened, and I told him, not believing that he understands. I don't believe it's real to him," said Helen.

"The doctors are hoping with him being young and strong that he will have a shorter recovery time than someone not as fit."

Although stable, his condition is changing daily, and as doctors restrict his visitors, Jamie's one constant is his mother.

"We're very close. I'm a mother, I'm a friend, now I'm going to be the person who will look after Jamie. We've a brilliant relationship. He is my life and that's the way it is.

"I want to get my son back to full health, and I want to be at his bedside,"
she said. "Now that we're back home I'm trying to be with him all the time so I can get updated on his injuries."

Helen is thankful for the emotional support she has received from Jamie's team boss John Burrows and others in the motorbike community.

"Jamie was so ill I didn't want my family to see him, I wouldn't make them look at his injuries," she said. "I'm hardened to them, because I've grown up with bikes.

"This is normal for me. Other sports are also dangerous, and everyone knows the risks, but you don't expect them to come to your doorstep. It's the motorbiking community and their support that I've to be thankful for."

Helen introduced her son to the sport more than 10 years ago, but has no regrets.

"Motorbiking has been my whole life, and I got Jamie into the sport at 13. I back him 100% now, I'll back him 110% when he's better," she said.

Jamie's friends and fans have also contributed almost £9,000 to an online donation to help the rider and his family during his recovery.

"The GoFundMe response is unbelievable," said Helen.

"There's no fighting in the motorbike community. There might be a few cross words on the track, but that's because everyone wants to be a winner.

"When I get Jamie back to normality we will sit down and thank these people. I hope in the future we can talk about this and realise what everyone has done for Jamie."

Fellow Ballyclare rider Jonathan Rea dedicated his weekend race win in World Superbikes at Misano to Jamie.

Rea said: "I believed in that race and kept fighting, and I want him to keep fighting at home."

[Image: belfast-telegraphlogo.gif]
Sara Neill
25-06-2015, 05:26 PM
Website Find Reply
choke Offline

Threads: 7
Thanks Malcolm, this is some promising news, and hopefully things will continue in the right direction. How his mum stands beside him, fantastic, they are the example how motorcycle community can be, and they l deserve our full support. If there is some bankdetails available, im more than happy to support them in a humble way. They deserve it, and wishing them all the best and strength for the upcoming period.

Meanwhile, the Jamie Hamilton Supporters’ Club has set up an online fundraising page - http://www.gofundme.com/jamiehamilton - to help Jamie and his family during what is expected to be a lengthy period of recovery.
(This post was last modified: 25-06-2015, 10:00 PM by Malcolm.)
25-06-2015, 09:07 PM
Find Reply
Superbike Offline

Threads: 4
It's great news sounds like Jamie's getting stronger by the day, and with a devoted mum like Helen I look forward to the day Jamie rides again.
27-06-2015, 03:02 AM
Find Reply
harveymushman Offline

Threads: 1
Do we know how Jamie is?Any positives
02-10-2015, 10:56 PM
Find Reply
maybolezx12r Offline

Threads: 28
Not heard much from Jamie recently even of Facebook hopefully he is getting stonger and just taking it easy.

P

Mountain Marshal from 2013 Icon_biggrin
12-10-2015, 09:24 AM
Find Reply