What would you like to see changed for next year?
wsn03 Offline

Threads: 6
RE: What would you like to see changed for next year?
(24-06-2015, 12:14 PM)STEVEVTR Wrote: I would like to see a classic race added as well, also the numbering system should go back to the old way, its probably why people dont buy the programe anymore.
As regards the newcomers on 1000 cc bikes perhaps they should have to do the Manx first?

The Classic TT captures the classic, I prefer it where it is, gives the classic enthusiast a chance to get over - there are only so many boat spaces after all!
If I was a top racer I would want to cut my teeth at the MGP. However, not sure you'd attract some of the higher profile new comers, and their teams and sponsors, to an event like the MGP - it's not as commercially up there as the TT. I also think it does fine attracting plenty of future TT talent as it is, but that's just my opinion.
24-06-2015, 03:09 PM
Find Reply
JAT Offline

Threads: 5
An easier way to book the damn ferry!!
24-06-2015, 03:29 PM
Find Reply
Superbike Offline

Threads: 4
1. Cheaper boats
2. 1-2 Subaru laps max
3. Number system
4. 2- lap minimum for the electric bikes or ditch and make another class like stock 600.
5. Free race guide for the marshals maybe with some freebies like signed pictures or something.
24-06-2015, 03:40 PM
Find Reply
Raynetjr Offline

The bit about newcomers and 1000cc bikes is interesting.

As I've admitted before, I'm not a rider, let alone a racer, and I know that the TT is different to other events, but on one of the other road racing forums I'm sure I remember Doc John Hinds (one of the medics who travel to incidents on bikes) saying that they had fewer incidents on bigger bikes than the smaller ones. I think it was because the smaller bikes required the rider to keep as much corner speed as possible and as corners tended to be where things went wrong there was more risk of accidents. I may have got the explanation wrong, but I'm sure that's what the analysis was. The MCUI medical team are constantly reviewing data and incidents - that's why they always follow the first lap and sweep after the last lap - that's when the data says the accidents happen.

I think there was a similar argument a few years ago about mixing 125s and 450s - I think it was William who said it wasn't safe because of the different approaches the two types took to cornering.

I'm not saying newcomers should only be on 1000cc bikes, but I do wonder if the analysis would be the same on the mountain circuit.
24-06-2015, 03:52 PM
Find Reply
Alfie Noakes Offline
Administrator

Threads: 13
1 - More consideration/provision given to the possibility of a delayed Senior race ... 2 - I'd like to think that the newcomers would be very familiar with their machines before they get to the TT and if that's the only bike they race then it makes it even more expensive with having to buy another bike just for one year then next year year they still have no experience of a 1000cc bike, we all have to start somewhere ... 3 - How about a couple of early morning practice sessions ?
24-06-2015, 08:59 PM
Find Reply
Kursaal Flyer Offline

Threads: 37
in the Manx you cannot newcomer on a multi cylinder ( 4) 1000 cc bike.
Old enough to know better, young enough to have given it a go ! Icon_cool
24-06-2015, 09:01 PM
Website Find Reply
sticky Offline
Perennial Contributor

Threads: 39
Biggest 4 cylinder bike allowed at the Manx is a 750.  You can ride a 1000cc twin and there was a lad on an 800cc MV last year.

For all the quality of engineering in the top electric bikes and the speed they're now doing I think serious questions now have to be asked about it's continuation after only 7 starters (again...) this year.  It simply isn't enough to sustain the event.

Other than that:

Tim Glover - please, please learn how to pronounce Rafael Paschoalin's name.  It is NOT pronounced 'Paskalinen' - on what planet could anyone derive 'Paskalinen' from Paschoalin?   If you can't figure it out by yourself, just go ask him.  It's good manners to get someone's name right.

Roy Moore - the word 'certainly'.  Stop saying it all the time - PLEASE!!!!!!

Chris Kinley - as above for 'aswell'

Radio TT to be more informative during daytime broadcasts about what's gone on - especially in practice week.  Stop begging for Facebook 'likes'.  It's embarassing.

I don't think a Superstock 600 instead of a Supersport 600 is really going to fly - it doesn't address the issue of lack of variety in the race programme.  It would take a few years to see how things evolve but how about reviving the 'Ultra-Lightweight' and run it as a two-tiered thing for Moto 3 and for tuned up versions of the 300cc bikes that now seem to be appearing (you could let the 390 KTM single in too) although some thought would need to be given about when they could practice.
24-06-2015, 09:39 PM
Website Find Reply
c iom tt Offline

Threads: 16
Whilst we are on the subject of Tim Glover, can someone give him some old recordings of Peter Kneale reading out the changes to programe, so he can learn how to do it.
At the pace he does it, its like some weird game of speed bingo!
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you want something bad enough, you'll find a way. If you don't, you'll find an excuse
24-06-2015, 09:46 PM
Find Reply
DBD 34 Offline

Threads: 20
(24-06-2015, 09:39 PM)sticky Wrote: Biggest 4 cylinder bike allowed at the Manx is a 750.  You can ride a 1000cc twin and there was a lad on an 800cc MV last year.

For all the quality of engineering in the top electric bikes and the speed they're now doing I think serious questions now have to be asked about it's continuation after only 7 starters (again...) this year.  It simply isn't enough to sustain the event.

Other than that:

Tim Glover - please, please learn how to pronounce Rafael Paschoalin's name.  It is NOT pronounced 'Paskalinen' - on what planet could anyone derive 'Paskalinen' from Paschoalin?   If you can't figure it out by yourself, just go ask him.  It's good manners to get someone's name right.

Roy Moore - the word 'certainly'.  Stop saying it all the time - PLEASE!!!!!!

Chris Kinley - as above for 'aswell'

Radio TT to be more informative during daytime broadcasts about what's gone on - especially in practice week.  Stop begging for Facebook 'likes'.  It's embarassing.

I don't think a Superstock 600 instead of a Supersport 600 is really going to fly - it doesn't address the issue of lack of variety in the race programme.  It would take a few years to see how things evolve but how about reviving the 'Ultra-Lightweight' and run it as a two-tiered thing for Moto 3 and for tuned up versions of the 300cc bikes that now seem to be appearing (you could let the 390 KTM single in too) although some thought would need to be given about when they could practice.

Agree with your points on Radio TT, I was about to say I would like them to bring back Charlie Lambert at the grandstand, he is no Peter Kneale but he is a whole lot better than what we have at present. Also bring back Charlie Williams in daytime for chat shows etc. and put Roy "distinctive" Moore out to grass.
24-06-2015, 09:51 PM
Find Reply
Woffy Offline

Threads: 0
1 - I would like to see a change in the radio commentary;
It's great if you like to hear them getting the names wrong (an example of this as seen above with the name Rafael Paschoalin, and as well constantly referring to Lee Johnston as 'Lee Johnson', and sometimes Gary Johnson as 'Gary Johnston'), sometimes referring to the complete wrong person (Ben Binns was called Patrick Farrance), and coming out with absolute whoppers like 'they need to take some of the tension out of that loose chain'. They also need to give the timings and positions more comprehensively, like they used to, as now it is sometimes pretty difficult to decipher who is where. Also, I think Roy Moore must have said 'distinctive fairing' at least 20 times in each race, which got pretty frustrating to listen to.

2 - It would also be great to see the barriers aligning the track moved forwards a little bit as well.
It used to be great watching from the really easy to reach places where the roads joined the track, because the barriers (or rope back then) were far forward enough so that you could actually see the bikes coming and going down the road. Now when you try and watch from most of these spots, you can see a wall, a marshal, a tiny stretch of road, and a wall on the other side. It makes watching from the spots that used to be good, and easy to reach, pretty boring. There are some places (such as on the approach to Ballig Bridge), where the barrier is so far back that all you can see is the top of a helmet going past. I understand the health and safety involved in this, but when you watch a race like the TT, you choose to watch at your own risk, and so if you don't like the idea of fast bikes going past then you probably shouldn't be watching! Tongue

3. And get rid of the Subaru laps, and any other car laps around the course - people go to the TT to watch the bikes, not the cars!

4. Bring back early morning practices.

Smile
24-06-2015, 10:02 PM
Find Reply
muz66 Offline

Threads: 0
I agree with bringing back Charlie Williams or someone of a similar ilk for chat show programmes etc.

I like the idea of an ultra lightweight with moto 3 bikes etc but practise couls well be a nightmare to arrange. Or maybe a Junior race as well as the 600 race. Could then include some of the fast boys from the lightweights etc. Not sure how that would work either though.
Get on with it or shut up about it!
24-06-2015, 11:02 PM
Find Reply
harveymushman Offline

Threads: 1
Please not Charlie Lambert ! Be nice if Radio TT did positions more often -it would help signallers. Be nice if the Grandstand Bar ran faster and had more than one bottle of vodka ! If Davisons went back to doing decent size ice creams at the Villa Marina site. Would be great if the hotels didn't double/triple their prices.Be great if people didn't smoke at the Petrol Station at Ramsey whilst watching the races. Be nice if the the Costa in Ramsey stayed open when the races ran late.Keep the Parade lap chaos its becoming a TT Tradition ( that one was Fred Clarkes line). If Paparazzi's took bookings.A button on the Cash Machine to get Mainland money. Cheaper parking at Heysham. Move the George Formby statue back . Brighten up that Grill in the Park - you would have no idea the TT was on.Stop making the people who pay the most on the Ferry get treated the worst. Wait long enough to not get a seat except on the floor - stylish

Apart from that don't change anything - actually don't change anything on the IOM - its golden
24-06-2015, 11:05 PM
Find Reply
the old man Offline

Threads: 8
(24-06-2015, 09:10 AM)Yamanx Wrote: I'd like to see:

Moto 3 bikes.

The riders to go off in number order all the way through the field.

FM radio around the whole course.

A shower block at Claddagh

And a McDonald's in Ramsey (Actually a Subway would be better Smile )why would you like to have fm radio around the whole course. A Subway in Ramsey why i have never been in a Subway in my life
25-06-2015, 09:31 AM
Find Reply
AntG Offline

Threads: 3
You can't really do too much from the racing side of things, if you wanted to add a new category you would have to drop a race because as the last couple of years have shown it can all get very congested due to postponements.
25-06-2015, 09:48 AM
Find Reply
Yamanx Offline

Threads: 12
(25-06-2015, 09:48 AM)AntG Wrote: You can't really do too much from the racing side of things, if you wanted to add a new category you would have to drop a race because as the last couple of years have shown it can all get very congested due to postponements.

Yes, probably true, but the electric bikes can go for me, also I'm not a big fan of the twins, I know, I know a lot of people are and a lot of riders like them as an introduction to the Mountain Course.

But for me its practically a one make series, only raced on roads in Ireland, different to a proper one model series as the bikes are unevenly matched. They're converted road bikes and the more you spend the better.

I liked them at first, as it introduced some different riders winning and they look and sound considerably different to the other classes.

Given the choice, I would much prefer to see Moto 3 bikes out there. I dont advocate dropping a SS race as the cost of bringing over a SS machine for just one race would be daft.

You could, I suppose run a Super Sport and 600 Super Stock class together, so those that could not afford the cost of a SS machine can run in the 600's, a bit like running your stock bike in the senior. But I'm not sure there is the space available, its pretty over subscribed anyway.

And I like Subway, its cheap and a tad healthier the McDonalds Smile

"By all means think yourself big, but never think others small........."  R.F. Scott
25-06-2015, 10:05 AM
Find Reply
cookie77 Offline

Threads: 3
(25-06-2015, 10:05 AM)Yamanx Wrote: Yes, probably true, but the electric bikes can go for me, also I'm not a big fan of the twins, I know, I know a lot of people are and a lot of riders like them as an introduction to the Mountain Course.

But for me its practically a one make series, only raced on roads in Ireland, different to a proper one model series as the bikes are unevenly matched. They're converted road bikes and the more you spend the better.

I liked them at first, as it introduced some different riders winning and they look and sound considerably different to the other classes.

Given the choice, I would much prefer to see Moto 3 bikes out there. I dont advocate dropping a SS race as the cost of bringing over a SS machine for just one race would be daft.

You could, I suppose run a Super Sport and 600 Super Stock class together, so those that could not afford the cost of a SS machine can run in the 600's, a bit like running your stock bike in the senior. But I'm not sure there is the space available, its pretty over subscribed anyway.

And I like Subway, its cheap and a tad healthier the McDonalds Smile

I Like the twins, hopefully Honda, Suzuki + triumph will up their game to give it an even playing field as its a bit embarrassing seeing the kmr's pulling away even when bikes are slipstreaming them at the NW200- ryan's bike was even pulling away from Mcwilliams's KMR kawasaki.

The only thing I'd like to see changed is as said, the rider's keeping their start numbers as per the programme, and also that the number of people allowed on the start line being reduced, it was absolute carnage up there this year with people just wandering around up there not involved in any way with the teams.

Really felt for Guy when he came out last minute to sit on his bike only to have about 50 mobile phones shoved in his face, all the riders looked uncomfortable with the attention up there not just guy either, other than team members/family and limited 'VIP's' (I use the phrase vip very lightly) I don't see any need for it.

Otherwise not much needs to be changed, It was a great tt so well dont to all involved.
25-06-2015, 10:48 AM
Find Reply
c iom tt Offline

Back to the subject of the electric bikes and battery range/ two laps etc. Harly Davidson are now saying that there Livewire electric bike is at least 2 years away from going into production and the reason given is the current ( no pun intended) battery technology not being able to give them the minimum 100mile range for there product.
This is partly why I feel that the set up we have with the Zero TT in particular, and the whole electric vehicle in genral is one huge public con.
Using batterys as a sole energy source as a means of providing power in a vehicle is a complete dead end. Its not green, and its not the future. Hydrogen fuel cells or similar to generate electricity to charge the batterys are.
But I do love the technology.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you want something bad enough, you'll find a way. If you don't, you'll find an excuse
25-06-2015, 11:06 AM
Find Reply
wsn03 Offline

While people are having a little moan about the commentators, my opinion is they do a top job, enjoy listening to all of them.
My minor erk however is the constant reference to "the fastest ever newcomer", or the "fastest ever rider" with huge jaw dropping emphasis, like its a one off event in history. It happens every year.
While they are no question legends with nads the size of beach test tickles and incredible skill, they're not the necessarily the fastest ever, they're lapping at the fastest ever time - its a foregone conclusion, course and bike improvements will keep the speeds increasing. It would be impossible to know who the fastest ever rider in any situation was for that reason. Was it Mike the Bike, Hizzy, Joey, DJ, Walter Handley, Bruce, JM, Mick Grant, John Williams? We will never know who the fastest ever rider was............ we just know who has set the fastest ever time.
There is almost a pecking order of respect based on speed alone, it just strikes me as a bit subjective.
LOL the auto correct on here!!
(This post was last modified: 25-06-2015, 12:12 PM by wsn03.)
25-06-2015, 12:09 PM
Find Reply
taxman Offline

Threads: 1
+1 for retaining starting numbers/positions. the programs are expensive enough (although I got a free one as a Marshal) and not having an effective way to get the starting positions out is a right royal pain in the proverbial.

Make the numbers on the bikes bigger and clearer too. At least you have a sporting chance of knowing who it was that just went past.

If there's gonna be a parade lap, get it in the program!! If something exotic is coming round, I want to know so I can see, hear and smell it. That RST thing this year was a total mystery.
25-06-2015, 01:10 PM
Find Reply
c iom tt Offline

The RST thing this year was a mystery for RST as well!
I dont know what has happened to the race guide and programe. They alway use to list the parade laps etc in them.

25-06-2015, 01:39 PM
Find Reply