What would you like to see changed for next year?
Kursaal Flyer Offline

Threads: 37
RE: What would you like to see changed for next year?
I think that even setting the riders of one at a time from the current start point is still dangerous some those kerbs are very close to the edge of the road !
Old enough to know better, young enough to have given it a go ! Icon_cool
01-07-2015, 11:46 AM
Website Find Reply
Steady the Edward Offline

Threads: 43
Ha ha ha ha like from whense you came Kursall old boy lol

01-07-2015, 12:39 PM
Find Reply
Splashdown Offline

Threads: 32
(01-07-2015, 11:46 AM)Kursaal Flyer Wrote: I think that even setting the riders of one at a time from the current start point is still dangerous some those kerbs are very close to the edge of the road !

KF, you'll find out in August! That's why motorcycles have handlebars fitted.........so you can steer the bloomin' things AWAY from the kerbs!!
01-07-2015, 01:22 PM
Find Reply
Alfie Noakes Offline
Administrator

Threads: 13
Stedward's mind .. Just the once ;0)
01-07-2015, 01:25 PM
Find Reply

(01-07-2015, 11:38 AM)c iom tt Wrote: The only advantage of setting off in pairs would allow for a larger amount of riders to enter, but I dont think that is what the organisers want anyway.
With regards to the safety aspect of it, It is happening now anyway! How many times do we see riders circulating together, or pulling out of the pits together to blast off down Bray Hill.
I have some pictures I took at Ginger Hall of the second lap of the Superbike race that shows how close they are riding next to each other. I will post them tonight.

I think c iom tt if i read it right the idea was if they kept the entry at the same level and set them off in pairs that it should drastically reduce the amount of slow riders being caught by the fast men reducing the vast speed differential overtakes  ( that for me is a concern , but that is just me ) at the expense of more evenly matched rider overtakes , a case of swings and roundabouts I suppose , for once I sit on the fence of this one , I am not sure which would be the best , but if pushed I think I would probably go for the starting in pairs , they do it in practice so nothing new to them, and dare I say it make the watching more exciting , and if it reduces the speed differential overtakes that I have worried about over the years  then may be worth a try , but that's just me being me , will we ever see it happen I very much doubt it 
(This post was last modified: 02-07-2015, 02:36 PM by Malcolm.)
01-07-2015, 01:28 PM
Find Reply
sticky Offline
Perennial Contributor

Threads: 39
(01-07-2015, 12:08 AM)harveymushman Wrote: Bray Hill in pairs again - I am sweating thinking about that

They do it in practice week...
01-07-2015, 06:10 PM
Website Find Reply
DBD 34 Offline

Threads: 20
How about this: instead of setting them off in pairs at the current 10 second intervals, set them off singly at 5 second intervals thus giving the best of both worlds. Sorted.
01-07-2015, 06:45 PM
Find Reply
Dogsbody Offline

Threads: 10
Just reduce the interval to 5 seconds. Would have the same effect as starting in pairs. Dogsbody
01-07-2015, 06:46 PM
Find Reply
badlyoverdrawnboy Offline

Threads: 2
(01-07-2015, 06:46 PM)Dogsbody Wrote: Just reduce the interval to 5 seconds. Would have the same effect as starting in pairs. Dogsbody

I'd like to see-
No Subarus
one 600 race (bored with proddy bikes)
one sidecar race (don't like slidys)
no leccy bikes (dead end and so polluting)
no superbikes (pointless expense and danger)

so 4 exisiting classes plus add a new class for Moto 2/3 or whatever -  proper race bikes and anything goes (H2R?) in the senior

Make all the races 8 laps with a le mans start and 120 starters in three waves - would give the 100 or so marshalls at ballecraine something to do and Eddy something to think about (incoming!!!) - nobody would care about the start numbers cos nobody will have a scoobies anyway. Let the Marshalls on the mountain clear off under waved yellows when they get bored and cold.

Start the race in any conditions as long as the jellycopters can fly

All newcomers to do a manx first no matter who they are

oh and bring back some 2 strokes, how about a 3 lap on the clypse course with 7 speed 50cc's - imagine the noise and the smell

Yeh i know it will just keep turniing into a boring corporate PR bucket list bore-fest at which the odd bit of road racing will be tolerated until they run out of corners to 'improve' to make sure the lap record keeps dropping
01-07-2015, 07:23 PM
Find Reply
scaramanga Offline

Threads: 25
well thats different to what weve been getting
we would all like 2 strokes back but who would be able to supply competative machines
sidecars are part of the tt and should stay as they are
apart from in practice where they always get badly done by if theres any holdups
i can remember when the senior rules were more relaxed and maybe it should return that way
maybe the supertwins could be tweaked a bit too to try and get more variaty in the class
600 race is quite often the most open and most competative cant understand how it can be boring
in fact its hard to see from your post why your on the forum as you seam to not like much about the tt
__________________________________________________________________________________________________

proud to own and ride a british motorcycle  triumph daytona 675 Hehe
(This post was last modified: 01-07-2015, 09:18 PM by scaramanga.)
01-07-2015, 09:16 PM
Find Reply
sticky Offline
Perennial Contributor

Threads: 39
I don't see why you can't run 250s in with the 650s.  Maybe Mr McG might give it a go?  After all, they're twins and not over 650cc Icon_biggrin   Even if there were only a few of them it would be welcomed by many.

Don't mess with the slideys - it's a defacto F2 world championship for crying out loud.

As far as I know the rules for what you can run in the Senior are still fairly open regarding the discretion of the organisers - I suppose no-one has decided to run anything exotic lately.  I would like to see the Senior run on yellow race plates - can anyone shed any light on why it isn't anymore?
01-07-2015, 10:12 PM
Website Find Reply
Ackerman Offline

Threads: 2
I have a few yellow souvenir plates in the loft somewhere. Good idea. Also got a Klaus Enders plate somewhere, did he break down at Ramsey Bus Station in 1970'ish? Or am I just making that up??!!
01-07-2015, 10:57 PM
Find Reply
jimmy182 Offline

Threads: 0
Surely badlyoverdrawnboy is winding you all up. Did guy martin not have a different coloured plate than everyone else in this year's senior or am I imagining it ?
01-07-2015, 11:13 PM
Find Reply
Andy from Kazakhstan Offline

Threads: 4
Yes, I sense a little irony in badlyoverdrawnboy's post Icon_cool
01-07-2015, 11:45 PM
Find Reply

Irony ??? I can see he has put a lot of thought in to this he is standing for the Governor's job when it next comes up,  top man , has said he will invite us all to his house to watch the racing from the bottom of his garden when he gets moved in says we will be allowed to use the loo in the big house and will put tea and bickies on for forum members .
(This post was last modified: 02-07-2015, 07:52 AM by Malcolm.)
02-07-2015, 12:18 AM
Find Reply
HammerHead Offline

Threads: 23
(01-07-2015, 10:12 PM)sticky Wrote: I would like to see the Senior run on yellow race plates - can anyone shed any light on why it isn't anymore?

The race guide states that in the senior bikes will run with the plate colour of the class to which they belong, presumably superbike or superstock. Perhaps the yellow plate would be for those that only qualify to run in the senior?

"There is nothing so momentary as a sporting achievement, and nothing so lasting as the memory of it."
02-07-2015, 09:53 AM
Find Reply
DiBTT Offline
Just Getting Started

Threads: 0
I must admit I am surprised how many people want to go back to the bikes going off as per the program/race guide. I thought it was just me! When you cant follow the riders and the space to write the lap by lap placing is way too small there is almost no point in having the race guide. When you look around you hardly see any one with one these days. Its very hard to follow who is where in my opinion. I hate to say it but its getting to look like a practice session to me. Please revert to the old method.
02-07-2015, 03:41 PM
Find Reply
Timmy594 Offline

Threads: 4
I didn't buy a program this year and to be fair my main gripe in not buying it was the start numbers. I knew most of the top 20 anyway so it wasn't a great loss.
03-07-2015, 12:02 PM
Find Reply
Splashdown Offline

Threads: 32
This numbers fiasco won't go away. I have already declared that I won't watch another race with this ridiculous system.
A race can only be followed by an iphone/computer, so you may as well stay at home, or (if you're on the Island, from a comfy café). Yes I realise that you lose the atmosphere and the excitement of watching the live action, but it is impossible to gauge how the riders from the back of the field, (who are just as important as the front runners), are performing without an iphone.
With the old system, (currently reinstated at the Manx/Classic), the whole race is easy to follow. OK, you may need a stopwatch if No. 75 is gaining on rider No. 20, but you soon get the hang of it, by referring to No20's and No.75's start time, and doing a little bit of maths. Great fun!
Now the very expensive programme is out of date, as the starting order relates to the practice. This also puts excess pressure on any competitor in qualifying, especially when they're trying to lap quickly when, (a), they don't know the course, and (b), they are experiencing problems with the bike. In addition the valuable spectator can only follow the top 20, who will obviously be doing some overtaking.
During the race, there is still the massive problem of lapped riders, and that is the biggest problem of all.
When you start No. 35, you may well catch No.34, but "hey ho", that's racing for you. You may get held up, but "hey ho", that's racing for you. What the top  boys have is fixed numbers, and "hey ho", they pass and re-pass folk, but that's racing.
The only problem is the lapping of riders, and I agree that is a safety issue, but there again, "hey ho", that's racing!!
I am the first to vote for a reasonable safety issue to put in place, but this ludicrous system has done nothing to enhance safety, as proven by the MD accident at the Nook.
03-07-2015, 02:31 PM
Find Reply
HammerHead Offline

Threads: 23
(03-07-2015, 02:31 PM)Splashdown Wrote: The only problem is the lapping of riders, and I agree that is a safety issue, but there again, "hey ho", that's racing!!
I am the first to vote for a reasonable safety issue to put in place, but this ludicrous system has done nothing to enhance safety, as proven by the MD accident at the Nook.

Maybe Michael was unlucky, but on the whole don't the faster riders usually say it's easier getting past a "back marker" than a direct competitor due to the speed differential?

You only have to look at the video of Hutchy passing MD to realise that any passing creates a safety issue, but as you say "hey ho" that's racing.

"There is nothing so momentary as a sporting achievement, and nothing so lasting as the memory of it."
03-07-2015, 03:34 PM
Find Reply