What would you like to see changed for next year?
bsa499 Offline

Threads: 49
RE: What would you like to see changed for next year?
I know that passing on the TT Course can be difficult but all competitors are at least National Road Race licence holders so they should be both experienced and competent at overtaking. Personally I never had any problems starting in pairs either but it seems that's not acceptable now. As for start numbers I've been happy with mine. The only problems I had occurred in the 2013 Senior Classic when start positions were decided on practice performance. I struggled in practice, was relegated to the back of the grid and had to make a lot of passes on riders I wouldn't normally race with. It was very exciting, a bit frightening at times but ultimately rewarding. Overall though I have confidence in the organiser's ability to 'seed' the whole field and if someone puts up an exceptional performance in practice its within their gift to promote them up the grid. I would like to see some machine variety in future though.
13-07-2015, 04:16 PM
Find Reply
sticky Offline
Perennial Contributor

Threads: 40
(13-07-2015, 02:29 PM)Electric_Monk Wrote: I think it comes down to the cost of insuring the event.  Restricted areas are "moderately dangerous", and not open to the public, as the added risk would significantly increase the premiums;  race officials may be there as they are covered by the ACU insurance;  photographers and film crews must have appropriate insurance to be allowed in these spots.  Prohibited areas are potentially too dangerous even to risk journalists [Image: wink.gif]

My personal opinion is that there was a lot of knee-jerk reaction following the 2007 incident with ACU representatives scaring people with stories about what sort of claims they might be liable for if they allowed spectators on their property.  I agree that a sympathetic review is overdue.

Regarding where film crews stand, I'm puzzled by this.  I am an accredited photographer with £5 million of public liability insurance.  This permits me into restricted areas (if needs be at the DSM's discretion).  What it does NOT let me do is stand in escape roads or in front of safety barriers.  I have no problem with this.

TV crews however, DO stand in escape roads (Parliament Square this year) and in front of safety barriers (Creg last year).  In doing so they endanger themselves (try running with a thumping great broadcast standard camera and tripod) and riders.   This needs to change before something bad happens.
13-07-2015, 06:31 PM
Website Find Reply
scaramanga Offline

Threads: 25
got to agree with you there sticky with modern equipment theres no excuess for standing infront of barriers rather than behind them
as for escape roads i suppose if up against the side it may be ok in some areas but definatly not in the middle of the road like ive seen some
__________________________________________________________________________________________________

proud to own and ride a british motorcycle  triumph daytona 675 Hehe
13-07-2015, 07:42 PM
Find Reply
Electric_Monk Offline

Threads: 0
Standing in escape routes is bad, and I'm surprised they weren't asked to move;  increased personal risk is one thing, but being in a place where they could interfere with the handling of an incident is unacceptable.  At our spot, the photographers / film crews generally ask the marshals where they can go before they set up (if nothing else, we can usually recommend a spot with a good view).
14-07-2015, 09:21 AM
Find Reply
AndyL Offline

Threads: 2
(13-07-2015, 11:19 AM)kilbil Wrote: I think it is time to look again and possibly take back some of the spectator areas that were  taken from us following the rash and harsh initial review.

Kilbil

Has this happened to some extent? I recall the big, stone-faced bank at Hilberry (in front of the house) being a restricted area after the big review, but it's since been opened again.
14-07-2015, 11:33 AM
Find Reply
Yamanx Offline

Threads: 12
Its done every year, they review all the restricted areas again and again. The area all along from Black Dubb to GH was restricted in 2008, now some of it is open. Conversely the area on the outside of Bishops Court was not restricted until 2013

"By all means think yourself big, but never think others small........."  R.F. Scott
14-07-2015, 12:05 PM
Find Reply
Alfie Noakes Offline
Administrator

Threads: 13
It's a shame they restricted the bit just past Bishopscourt, it was a fantastic place to watch, bikes drifting over the ripples with it pinned and revs going up and down slightly, the top guys just letting the bike do it's thing.
14-07-2015, 01:58 PM
Find Reply
sticky Offline
Perennial Contributor

(14-07-2015, 09:21 AM)Electric_Monk Wrote: Standing in escape routes is bad, and I'm surprised they weren't asked to move;  increased personal risk is one thing, but being in a place where they could interfere with the handling of an incident is unacceptable.  At our spot, the photographers / film crews generally ask the marshals where they can go before they set up (if nothing else, we can usually recommend a spot with a good view).

The first year North One covered the TT a crew a set up in the escape lane at Parliament Square.  The DSM immediately told them to move and rightly so.  They said they had permission to be there and a call to race control confirmed that they did.  Perhaps their special blue bibs afford them some kind of special protection that us white bib guys don't have... Confused
14-07-2015, 06:22 PM
Website Find Reply
c iom tt Offline

Threads: 16
(14-07-2015, 11:33 AM)AndyL Wrote: Has this happened to some extent?  I recall the big, stone-faced bank at Hilberry (in front of the house) being a restricted area after the big review, but it's since been opened again.

It has never been restricted. Quite the opposite. The house owner also owns the bank in front. He is a huge Motorsport fan. The Organisers wanted the area restricted, but he has refused. As such, you are informed by the marshalls of this, and are made aware that in the event of an incident, you are not covered by the organisers insurance ( that is a shaky one) if you continue to veiw from there.
There is one section that the house owner puts tape around that the public can not access, this area is for the house owners own use. It is free to use, but the owner asks for a charity donation in the bucket on the end of the fence.
Another top Manxey!
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you want something bad enough, you'll find a way. If you don't, you'll find an excuse
14-07-2015, 06:35 PM
Find Reply
DBD 34 Offline

Threads: 20
Right, now that the season is over, let's just take stock of the things that most people want to change for TT 2016:

1) Keep start numbers as per programme.
2) Scrap or alter electric bikes to more laps.
3) Derestrict some restricted zones.
4) Replace Radio TT presenters.
5) Replace ITV 4 presenters.
6) Race in the wet.

Anything else anybody?
18-09-2015, 10:30 PM
Find Reply
sticky Offline
Perennial Contributor

Lets fill this out a bit...

1)  I think we're all agreed on that.  Don't want to open that argument up all over again!

2)  If electric bikes are to stay on the programme then the organisers have to find a way of significantly increasing the entries.  But as I've said before (possibly more than once Icon_wink) there are hardly any being raced worldwide anymore.  I think the number of viable entries has to increase before anyone starts worrying about getting them to do 2 laps.

3)  After the 2007 incident I'm given to understand that the ACU took quite a heavy line with property holders around the course and put the fear of God into them.  I think it would be entirely appropriate to do a sympathetic review of the situation, ideally by someone who properly understands the dynamics of a race bike crash.

4)  The weakest line-up of presenters ever.  The thing that gets me is the almost wilful refusal to attempt to pronounce overseas riders names properly.  If you can't do that then you shouldn't be presenting anything.  I'm afraid I find them all very difficult to listen to.

5)  The Whitham/Plater/Parrish thing is good for them but is it for anyone else?  I have no particular problem with Craig Doyle - as a link man he does OK.  But the other three come across as a sort of poor man's Top Gear and it doesn't work IMHO

6)  The problem about racing in the wet is that on a 1000cc bike a wet tyre probably wouldn't last a lap.  The thing to do, in this era of commercial partners, is to get the tyre manufacturers to devise some rubber that will give sufficient grip in the wet AND last for at least two laps of the Mountain Course.  That would, of course, have genuine real-world benefits in day to day use once the tech filters down to road bikes.

and...

7)  For the love of God don't privatise it.  There are too many sharks in the international motor sport waters and the DED simply don't have what it takes to deal with them.  Remember that this is a department of a small community - if you like, a town council committee trying to act on the World stage.   Privatisation will kill the TT and certainly the MGP.

8)  The World Series.  Stop banging that drum Mr DED - not workable.
(This post was last modified: 19-09-2015, 11:20 AM by Malcolm.)
19-09-2015, 10:14 AM
Website Find Reply
DBD 34 Offline

Threads: 20
All well put, but on item no.3 I remember the ACU trying to "put the fear of God intto property owners" at the time. They tried it with a friend of mine and tried to tell him that he couldn't sit in his own field any more to watch the races. They soon changed their stance when he advised them that his field was the landing area for the helicopter and that if he wasn't able to watch from his own field then the helicopter wouldn't be allowed to land in it. He has watched from his field ever since. Funny that isn't it.

No.6, I have never understood this rubbish that you can't ride modern superbikes in the wet. They are based on road bikes which you can ride fast in wet, stick a set of good road tyres in and away you go.

Agree with all other points.
(This post was last modified: 20-09-2015, 11:25 PM by DBD 34.)
20-09-2015, 11:23 PM
Find Reply
mdvineng Offline

I sometimes wonder if the pressure from the top guys has brought in the no wet racing and the prevention of another Phil carpenter moment? but the issue of a dry start that becomes wet during the lap is a major safety point.
23-09-2015, 01:43 PM
Find Reply
kilbil Offline

Threads: 13
I think an increase in prize money would be appropriate to reflect the growing stature of the event.

Kilbil
25-09-2015, 07:34 PM
Find Reply
Shitoffa Shovel Offline

Threads: 5
With all things being equal :

The GM sheep will find something else to do during TT week 2016,
The volume control will have been found for the Video Lounges on the Sea Cat,
The DeD will finally get round to sorting the congestion from Quarter Bridge to the Grandstand ,from Thursday of practice week,
To Re enstate the Grandstand at Ginger Hall (personal opinion),
To provide free Grandstands at every point of interest on the course,

Nice weather for the TT fortnight would be a good start......

Regards,

Shitoffa,,,,
It’s strange that men should take up crime when there are so many legal ways to be dishonest. …
20-01-2016, 01:52 AM
Find Reply
DaveOldham Offline

Agreed, that spot at Bishopscourt/Orrisdale was my absolute favourite. My heart sank when I got there and it was prohibited - several years after Linsdell's off there
26-01-2016, 03:36 PM
Find Reply
Woffy Offline

So, does it look like any of these changes are actually going to be put into place this year...

Or are they going to keep running it as it is?

Lets hope they can at least move the barriers a bit closer to the road this year like they always used to be. Nothing worse than getting to a 'decent' spot only to see the barrier is about 15ft away from the road, or the back of a marshal's head so you can't see the bikes coming and going...
22-05-2016, 12:35 PM
Find Reply
Azman Offline

Threads: 5
Agree with points 4 & 5 time.... time for new presenters, all a bit "samey" these last few years. Craig D ok as a link guy, but he is also good at selling Double Glazing, so maybe it needs some "newer" ex racers to present? Also needs an FM broadcast!

"Its turned out quite nice ....." Beer2
Riggsy
22-05-2016, 08:58 PM
Find Reply
Revvin rich Offline

Threads: 71
The problem with riding in the wet especially at the TT it's far to dangerous the super bikes are chucking out 220-230bhp rider safety is paramount to many walls tree,s and other obstacles a couple of years ago the senior was cancelled because of poor conditions 2012 to be precise john mcpint went round in the course car and said it was,nt safe to race
22-05-2016, 10:42 PM
Find Reply
Sam Pato Offline

Threads: 24
I'd like to see subtitles for any interviews with Ian Bell.  He always strikes me as a champion of a bloke and he's been around forever - but what on earth is he saying?

I was born and raised in the north east and I can't understand him - how does the rest of the world stand a chance?

Sam
Warning Level 0% since 2006
22-05-2016, 11:56 PM
Find Reply