SOLO AND SIDECAR CHAMPIONS TO BE CROWNED ON FINAL DAY OF NEW SCHEDULE FOR TT 2016
Malcolm Offline
Administrator

Threads: 18,390
SOLO AND SIDECAR CHAMPIONS TO BE CROWNED ON FINAL DAY OF NEW SCHEDULE FOR TT 2016
[Image: ttmonsterlogobig.jpg]

The schedule for the 2016 Isle of Man TT Races fuelled by Monster Energy features a new timetable that will see both solo and sidecar champions crowned on the final day of racing.

The final race day, which falls on Friday 10th June 2016, will include the second Sure Sidecar Race before culminating with the traditional blue riband PokerStars Senior TT.

In a further change to the race schedule the Bennetts Lightweight TT Race will now move to Wednesday 8th June and will be increased to run over four laps. This reflects the growing stature of the class, which was first introduced to the race schedule in 2012

As well as changes to the race schedule a number of alterations to the qualifying schedule have also been announced. The opening session on Saturday 28th May will feature solo and sidecar newcomer speed controlled sighting laps as well as an extended timed qualifying session for the Lightweight and Supersport machines. Sidecars will no longer feature in the opening session and will begin their qualifying programme on Monday 30th May with additional sessions during race week.

The timings throughout qualifying have also been tweaked to ensure the maximum amount of track time is made available to the 1000cc solo machines and they will feature first on track during each evening qualifying session.

Speaking about the changes to the schedule for TT 2016, TT & Motorsport Development Manager, Department of Economic Development, Paul Phillips commented:

"The changes to the schedule for TT 2016 announced today are being implemented to improve the experience for the riders, the teams and the race fans all at the same time. We believe that crowning both the sidecar and solo champions on the final day of racing will be a fitting finale to the programme and reinforce our commitment to the sidecar class as an integral part of the programme."

"Increasing the Lightweight Race from three laps to four is an obvious step and highlights the growing importance of this class in our race programme and will ensure the riders go head to head over the race distance with everyone having to stop for fuel on the same lap. This change will also help us attract more of the leading Superbike riders into the class by moving the race away from the Senior Race in the schedule."

"We have also been able to revise the qualifying schedule to accommodate the ever changing nature of the event and to ensure the time we have available for qualifying is maximised and prioritised."

Isle of Man TT Races fuelled by Monster Energy 2016 Qualifying and Race Schedule

Saturday 28th May
18.20 - Solo Newcomers Speed Controlled lap
18.25 - Sidecar Newcomers Speed Controlled lap
18.40 - Lightweight & Supersport + Newcomers (All Classes) Solo

Monday 30th May
18.20 -19.50 - Superbike/ Superstock/ Supersport + Newcomers (All Classes except Lightweight)    
19.55 - 20.50 - Sidecars

Tuesday 31st May
18.20 - 19.25 - Superbike/ Superstock/ Supersport (Newcomers All Classes except Lightweight)
19.25 - 19.55 - Lightweight & Supersport +Newcomers (All Classes)
20.00 - Sidecars

Wednesday 1st June
18.20 - 19.50 - Superbike/ Superstock/ Supersport + Newcomers (All Classes except Lightweight)
19.55 - 20.50 - Sidecars

Thursday 2nd June
18.20 - 19.25 - Superbike/Superstock/Supersport (Newcomers All Classes except Lightweight)
19.25 - 19.55 - Lightweight & Supersport +Newcomers (All Classes)
20.00 - Sidecars

Friday 3rd June
18.20 - 19.45 - Superbike/Superstock/Supersport + Newcomers (All Classes except Lightweight)
19.50 - 20.35 - Sidecars
20.40 - TT Zero 1 lap qualifying

Saturday 4th June
11.00 - RST Superbike TT Race (6 laps)
14.00 - Sure Sidecar TT Race 1 (3 laps)
15.30 - Superstock/ Supersport/ Lightweight practice (2 laps)

Monday 6th June
10.45 - Monster Energy Supersport TT Race 1 (4 laps)
12.25 - Sidecar qualifying (2 laps)
14.15 - RL360 Superstock TT Race (4 laps)
16.05 - Lightweight qualifying (1 lap)
16.25 - TT Zero qualifying (l lap)

Wednesday 8th June
10.45 - Monster Energy Supersport TT Race 2 (4 laps)
12.25 - Sidecar qualifying (1 lap)
14.00 - Bennetts Lightweight TT Race (4 laps)
15.45 - Senior TT qualifying (1 lap)
16.20 - TT Zero Race (1 lap)

Friday 10th June
10.15 - Sure Sidecar TT Race 2 (3 laps)
12.30 - PokerStars Senior TT Race (6 laps)

[Image: mcguinnessunionmills.jpg]
John McGuinness at Union Mills during the 2015 Senior Race

[Image: birchallsstartline.jpg]
Ben & Tom Birchall leave the start line on the way to another win

07-07-2015, 11:39 AM
Website Find Reply
captainsparkledotcom Offline

Threads: 365
RE: SOLO AND SIDECAR CHAMPIONS TO BE CROWNED ON FINAL DAY OF NEW SCHEDULE FOR TT 2016
Shame they couldn't have announced the changes a little earlier!
It'll be fun for the sidecar teams to try and get a boat home later in the week!
They must have some kind of plan in conjunction with the Steam Packet.
Surely?
07-07-2015, 01:19 PM
Website Find Reply
c iom tt Offline

Threads: 16
RE: SOLO AND SIDECAR CHAMPIONS TO BE CROWNED ON FINAL DAY OF NEW SCHEDULE FOR TT 2016
The above press release is not the whole story, there is more to be announced refference the Sidecars, hence my other ( now deleted) thread.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you want something bad enough, you'll find a way. If you don't, you'll find an excuse
07-07-2015, 03:57 PM
Find Reply
Malcolm Offline
Administrator

Threads: 18,390
What other information do you refer to that will make up the "Whole Story" ?

As far as I am aware, the content of this Press Release is identical to that as is presented on the official website and remains totally unchanged from that as received.

To clarify one point, the thread referred to as being deleted was not deleted by Admin. 
07-07-2015, 04:14 PM
Website Find Reply
c iom tt Offline

There are further changes to the Sidecars for TT 2106 to be anounced further in the week, that is not included
in the above press release, hence my original thread. I probably should have continued this thread, rather than
start another.
I deleted my original thread as a result of a reply pointing out that the forum already had a thread about the changes, which was partly correct.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you want something bad enough, you'll find a way. If you don't, you'll find an excuse
07-07-2015, 04:42 PM
Find Reply
Yamanx Offline

Threads: 12
F1 sidecars? Smile I doubt it.

I hope they thought about the travel arrangements for the chairs before SP got fully booked before 2015 TT, I suppose a lot of them go freight, so there might be space available.

"By all means think yourself big, but never think others small........."  R.F. Scott
07-07-2015, 04:49 PM
Find Reply
c iom tt Offline

As long as the sidecar boys and girls are happy with having to stay until the Friday night, I think it is a great move.
It raises the status of the sidecars to the same level as the solos by them on Senior race day.

07-07-2015, 07:35 PM
Find Reply
Yamanx Offline

Yes I agree Smile Could it now be safe enough for the F1 chairs? "The Sidecar Senior"

"By all means think yourself big, but never think others small........."  R.F. Scott
07-07-2015, 07:42 PM
Find Reply
sticky Offline
Perennial Contributor

Threads: 39
What I'm hearing is that next year's world championship will be for 600cc outfits and people will have the option to use a short outfit or drop a 600 motor into a long one.
07-07-2015, 09:24 PM
Website Find Reply
Yamanx Offline

I heard that too, I don't know why that should be though?

07-07-2015, 09:41 PM
Find Reply
Geekay Offline

Threads: 0
Personally speaking I wouldn't want to be in the paddock from the first race on the Saturday to Friday waiting for the second sidecar race. That is a long time doing nothing.
The prospect of 'F1' sidecars racing at the TT (even with 600cc engines) is highly unlikely as the monocoque chassis are totally unsuitable for road circuits and would, in my opinion, be potentially dangerous.
07-07-2015, 10:35 PM
Find Reply
AndyL Offline

Threads: 2
It seems a bit odd for the sidecars to have 3 practice laps between the first and second races... if they need an additional 3 practice laps then you'd think they ought to be before the first race. I suppose they've put those in to help the crews keep their eye in during the long gap between the races.
08-07-2015, 10:14 AM
Find Reply
cookie77 Offline

Threads: 3
I always book my flights to include the two sidecar races, There's no chance I can watch the 1st then have 5 days inbetween waiting for the next one. (With that I mean I wouldnt be allowed.)

I possibly does raise the profile, but I don' think the change was ever to intentionally do that, it was just a bonus.

apart from the bonus of running the same day as the senior this change doesn't help the sidecars in any other way.
(This post was last modified: 09-07-2015, 11:00 AM by Malcolm.)
08-07-2015, 11:47 AM
Find Reply
wsn03 Offline

Threads: 6
I like the idea. Sidecars are a major part of the TT
09-07-2015, 10:45 AM
Find Reply
HammerHead Offline

Threads: 23
I think the idea of finishing the sidecars before the senior is good. It makes "senior day" more special for the solos as it will be their only race and gives the sidecars the opportunity to be there at the climax of the whole event.

"There is nothing so momentary as a sporting achievement, and nothing so lasting as the memory of it."
09-07-2015, 03:52 PM
Find Reply