RECORD TT COLLECTION ON STEAM PACKET COMPANY VESSELS FOR ROB VINE FUND
Malcolm Offline
Administrator

Threads: 18,390
RECORD TT COLLECTION ON STEAM PACKET COMPANY VESSELS FOR ROB VINE FUND
[Image: steampackethdr.gif]

Generous passengers on board Steam Packet Company vessels during the TT festival have raised a record £16,212 for the Rob Vine Fund.

The fantastic sum is the most collected during a race fortnight since the first annual Steam Packet Company collection for the Rob Vine Fund was held in the mid-1990s.

The Fund was established in memory of Rob Vine, a competitor who died after a crash at the Black Dub during the 1985 Senior TT. This year’s cheque was presented to Dr David Stevens MBE, Secretary and Director of the Rob Vine Fund, Registered Charity No 954 (Isle of Man).

Dr Stevens said:

‘The generosity of the TT fans continues to amaze us. Last year’s collection sent the total through the £200,000 barrier since the collections began, and this year we now have a record total. Our sincere thanks to all those fans who gave so generously, and to the Steam Packet Company crew who helped coordinate the collection on our behalf. A truly amazing effort by all concerned.’

The running total collected over the years now stands at £220,000, with this year’s sum beating the previous record of £15,000, collected in 2004 and again during the centenary TT of 2007.

Isle of Man Steam Packet Company Chief Executive Mark Woodward said:

‘It’s a fantastic achievement to break the record and it comes at a time when the TT continues to grow in popularity, with the number of motorcycles we carried this year being the highest ever, outside the 2007 centenary celebrations. I’d like to thank our staff who assisted with the collection, and a special thank you to Linda Keen and the team at the Manx Legion for their assistance in helping count all the monies collected.’

To find out more about the charity, visit http://www.mms.org.im/robvinefund/

[Image: mmsbadge.jpg]

[Image: RobVineFundpresentation2015.jpg]

This year’s TT fortnight saw a record collection on board Steam Packet Company vessels for the Rob Vine Fund, which provides medical and rescue equipment and training for all doctors and paramedics involved in motorsports in the Isle of Man. One of the services it provides is the Island’s three Hogg Rescue Ambulances, and their 21 unpaid volunteer crew members, some of whom are pictured here; left to right – Stuart Greaves, Cathie McGurgan, Alan Greaves and David B Stevens MBE, who were presented with a cheque for more than £16,000 by Steam Packet Company crew members Neil Hutchinson, Sandra Fitzgerald, Chris Kelly and Paul Turton  
08-07-2015, 03:01 PM
Website Find Reply
Revvin rich Offline

Threads: 71
RE: RECORD TT COLLECTION ON STEAM PACKET COMPANY VESSELS FOR ROB VINE FUND
That's excellent news keep on giving to a very worthy cause every penny counts!
09-07-2015, 08:48 AM
Find Reply
Splashdown Offline

Threads: 32
I always drop something in the bucket when they come round. Not only is the Rob Vine Fund an incredibly good cause, Rob was a good friend of mine. In the brief time we knew each other, we had some terrific fun. Lovely bloke.
The sum collected by the Steam Packet is absolutely amazing, let's hope that the buckets come round again in August.
09-07-2015, 09:41 AM
Find Reply
HammerHead Offline

Threads: 23
I've put money in the buckets and will continue to do so. In fact everyone appears to be giving generously to what is a good cause, and credit to the Steam Packet for collecting.

But...

The Manannan has a capacity of 850 passengers and crew and the Ben 666. Let's assume that's a capacity of 1,400 passengers and 2 sailings for each vessel per day over the fortnight. That's a maximum capacity over the TT fortnight of 39,200 individual journeys.

Let's now also assume for the first week return sailings are only at 20% capacity. So we have 19,600 outward passengers and 11,760 returns (the rest returning after TT fortnight when I don't know if collections are made). That's a total of 31,360 individual journeys so only around 50 pence donated per passenger per journey.

I accept that some are kids who probably won't contribute, and that if you only donate all your loose change it might not add up to very much on occasions, but I think we could do much better. Let's dig a little deeper next year and make sure it tops £20k.

"There is nothing so momentary as a sporting achievement, and nothing so lasting as the memory of it."
(This post was last modified: 09-07-2015, 04:09 PM by HammerHead.)
09-07-2015, 04:09 PM
Find Reply