On-Board laps
Dougboy
Unregistered

On-Board laps
I've just received an invite from Duke to order the TT2015 Review, fair enough. Alongside it were adverts for 3 separate DVDs of on-board laps from 2015. I'm assuming that Duke are simply satisfying a demand for these things which, frankly, leaves me baffled. I'd seen a lifetimes worth of on-boards years ago and never bother with them now.
Do we have any on-board addicts? Which are the best?
10-07-2015, 01:25 PM
Alfie Noakes Offline
Administrator

Threads: 13
RE: On-Board laps
Steve Hislop's RVF lap, a masterful display in letting the bike do what she's going to do and keeping his speed up, just watch how much road he uses with ease and control,
10-07-2015, 01:32 PM
Find Reply
taxman Offline

Threads: 1
Joey's V for victory
10-07-2015, 01:33 PM
Find Reply
HammerHead Offline

Threads: 23
Generally speaking I am a fan although I'm not sure I could sit through a DVD of four or five laps in one go. I guess on average I might download one in any given year (although I haven't for 2015...yet at least).

I'm a sucker for record laps - I bought Bruce's last year - but JM130s new record suffers from being obscured by dead flies towards the end so I haven't bought that. MD's supersport record lap (lap 4) of 2013 suffers the same problem but lap 3 is one of my favourites. He is part of a four bike train (with JM130, Hillier & Donald I think) and picks them off one by one.

"There is nothing so momentary as a sporting achievement, and nothing so lasting as the memory of it."
10-07-2015, 03:40 PM
Find Reply
Kursaal Flyer Offline

Threads: 37
With a thirst for course knowledge , theres nothing better
Old enough to know better, young enough to have given it a go ! Icon_cool
10-07-2015, 04:24 PM
Website Find Reply
AndyL Offline

Threads: 2
(10-07-2015, 01:32 PM)Alfie Noakes Wrote: Steve Hislop's RVF lap, a masterful display in letting the bike do what she's going to do and keeping his speed up, just watch how much road he uses with ease and control,

I seem to recall that was the first 120mph lap recorded on video, or something like that, wasn't it? On a bike that was probably 20mph down on top speed compared to the modern machinery. It is a terrific lap.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=URHgdM7n_2A
10-07-2015, 04:50 PM
Find Reply
scaramanga Offline

Threads: 25
the tt onboards can be a bit long
the newer onesa are better as the level and quality is much better than a few years ago
ansteys lap last year was brilliant and anyone who knocks the electric bikes should take a look at johns onboard lap credit where credit is due its quick
i prefer them when theres other action ie passing other bikes or being passed
__________________________________________________________________________________________________

proud to own and ride a british motorcycle  triumph daytona 675 Hehe
10-07-2015, 05:37 PM
Find Reply
spannerman Offline

Threads: 28
I've always been a sucker for Brian Reid's lap on the 250cc Yamaha which points to the sky at the Wagon and Horses,   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SuQEfT3kLjA
10-07-2015, 05:44 PM
Find Reply
SILJA Offline

Threads: 38
There is a lap with Richard Britton from 2004 with a complete telemetry as a caption. That's one of my best sources for the TT course knowledge. (A bit old now but still worth seeing.)
Don't be that optimistic! The light in the tunnel can be a train. Sad
(This post was last modified: 10-07-2015, 06:20 PM by SILJA.)
10-07-2015, 06:19 PM
Website Find Reply
Alfie Noakes Offline
Administrator

(10-07-2015, 05:44 PM)spannerman Wrote: I've always been a sucker for Brian Reid's lap on the 250cc Yamaha which points to the sky at the Wagon and Horses,   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SuQEfT3kLjA

It's a fab thing to watch that lap - another lesson in bike placement and corner speed, I think he only pulls top 2 or 3 times in that lap - first time he pulls top is just after Wagon and Horses, was in practice so he may be slightly over geared.
10-07-2015, 06:39 PM
Find Reply
scaramanga Offline

funny thing i gave a dvd to a lad i know who races the tt and he says the brian reed 250 lap has helped him more than any other as its perfect example how to ride the tt
__________________________________________________________________________________________________

10-07-2015, 06:44 PM
Find Reply
Alfie Noakes Offline
Administrator

(10-07-2015, 06:44 PM)scaramanga Wrote: funny thing i gave a dvd to a lad i know who races the tt and he says the brian reed 250 lap has helped him more than any other as its perfect example how to ride the tt

It's a very very good lap to see where you need to put a bike, it's not a 190mph missile so you can see it clearly and just how much space you actually have out there if you use the width to your advantage ... and best thing it's a 2-poke. Sticking up for 250/350's here - you have to be precise, look after the corner speed and revs etc to get the best out of a little engine, one duff gear change or a bwaoorrrrrrrr roll off mid corner and your speed is gone.
(This post was last modified: 10-07-2015, 07:58 PM by Alfie Noakes.)
10-07-2015, 07:58 PM
Find Reply
scaramanga Offline

yeah thats what the lad i know says i suppose you have to race the tt to fully understand it
while im a dedicated tt and road race obsessive im no racer and dont ride anywhere near as fast as i did years ago when i first passed my test and got on bigger faster bikes

10-07-2015, 09:19 PM
Find Reply
matjaq Offline

Threads: 1
We've all got our favourites. As already noted, V4 Victory and Hizzy on the RVF are classics - Hizzy through Glen Tramman is special.  If you hunt about on YouTube you'll find our very own Splashdown on an RC30 keeping an RVF mounted Hizzy honest, then more recently at the classic TT riding very smoothly indeed.
10-07-2015, 09:48 PM
Find Reply
scaramanga Offline

theres a onboard lap from dj that made me laugh at the time it was on open roads on mad sunday it is on the tt circuit guide dvd

11-07-2015, 10:19 PM
Find Reply
Alfie Noakes Offline
Administrator

(11-07-2015, 10:19 PM)scaramanga Wrote: theres a onboard lap from dj that made me laugh at the time it was on open roads on mad sunday it is on the tt circuit guide dvd

Can't remember if it was Mad Sunday - we were parked up waiting at Ballacraine waiting for the road to be re-opened after an RTA, DJ rocks up and had a good chat with us, I left as soon as the road opened and was wombling along in between Alpine and Ballaugh next thing this very big very loud blur came past at monster speed on the back wheel .. tremendous.
12-07-2015, 08:51 AM
Find Reply
scaramanga Offline

defdinatly sounds like dj
just how we all like to remember him

12-07-2015, 10:20 AM
Find Reply
beetroot Offline

Threads: 0
We always tell our newcomers at the TT and Manx to watch Mr Nick Jeffries lap as its actually tells you how to ride the course as well as being at a decent speed, unlike the 130mph laps that most newcomers feel the need to watch. I used it myself and quote most of the lines daily to see if the riders have been doing their homework!
TC Racing- Supporting the MGP and TT for way too long...One more year then were definetly quitting, possibly.. maybe .On second thoughts probably not..
13-07-2015, 10:52 AM
Find Reply
SteelieGreg Offline
Just Getting Started

Threads: 0
I don't know whether this ones still widely available but Shaun Harris' 2003 onboard lap in the proddy 600 race is worth a look. Shaun does a commentary on the lap and gives a really clear idea of what he's doing all round the circuit. Some great descriptive turns of phrase too!!
13-07-2015, 12:51 PM
Find Reply
Splashdown Offline

Threads: 32
(13-07-2015, 10:52 AM)beetroot Wrote: We always tell our newcomers at the TT and Manx to watch Mr Nick Jeffries lap as its actually tells you how to ride the course as well as being at a decent speed, unlike the 130mph laps that most newcomers feel the need to watch.  I used it myself and quote most of the lines daily to see if the riders have been doing their homework!

Made my day!!
I've walked round the MGP paddock for years, and it's amazing how many folk still use my video. Peter Duke tells me that it still sells in reasonable numbers....... and it's 22 years old!!
If you could have seen the size of the video backpack that I had to wear to make this film, you would laugh out loud!
14-07-2015, 04:13 PM
Find Reply