BRONZE FINISH FOR COSTELLO IN TRIO OF CLASSIC RACES
Malcolm Offline
Administrator

Threads: 18,390
BRONZE FINISH FOR COSTELLO IN TRIO OF CLASSIC RACES
[Image: mariacostelloracinghdr2013.jpg]

Northamptonshire's motorcycle racer, Maria Costello M.B.E., has a non-stop schedule this month. It kicked off with the Isle of Man Classic TT, closely followed by a trip to Germany for the Glemseck 101 sprint races and will conclude with more BMW action at the Goodwood Revival.

The Isle of Man Classic TT was filled with misfortune for Maria, who nevertheless powered the Bob Jackson T20 across the finish line to claim another Bronze TT Replica.

It was in the delayed and shortened three-lap combined Classic 350 and 250 race that Maria took her only race finish of the event. Not a conventional finish either, the T20 stopped at the bottom of Governor's Dip on the final lap and Costello pushed the bike across the finish line.

She had started the third lap positioned to win the 250cc class outright, despite a 30-second penalty for a pit-lane infringement. But the bike failed her and Costello, who had pushed in for third place in 2011, was again pushing her bike to the finish and only this time she would be denied a Classic TT win.

[Image: mariac-1.jpg]

Her luck in the Classic TT 500cc class was no better. The Beugger Racing 500 Paton, on which she claimed a stunning fifth place finish last year, was running well initially and Costello put in a 101.41mph lap to place her 11th out of 67 runners in the first qualifying session. In the final qualifying session she slowed from Kepple Gate to the finish with a rear-wheel issue. She pitted, having posted a lap speed of 102.084mph, and a replacement wheel was fitted and Maria set off to test it when the bike cut out at the top of Bray Hill.

On race day, Costello set off from 20th on the road, but it proved to be a short-lived experience as the Paton lost power coming out of Crosby and came to a halt at Appledene. Costello was consoled by the family in the nearby house. Although initial inspection found no problem, the cause was eventually revealed to be a broken 50p fuse.

“Well I never thought I’d have to push in again, not from exactly the same place, I’m glad I did though as I have a beautiful Bronze TT Replica to show for it. Yes it’s disappointing not finishing on the Paton and I was gutted for Peter and Barbara Beugger, who had brought it all the way from Switzerland, but we all understand the challenges of this event. I actually feel really fortunate because I ride for some of the nicest people on the planet and even though it didn't got to plan, it was great to enjoy the event together,” said Maria.

“After that pushing in I think it’s time to thank those who help keep my body in good working order. So big thanks to CrossFit East Northants, Donna Norman at Bespoke Injury, Barry Goudriaan at NCCC and Rex Physio on the Isle of Man. Fingers crossed I get to do it again next year – but hopefully taking the chequered flag in the conventional way. I also need to thank Peter and Barbara Beugger, the Bob Jackson racing team, the family that supplied me with tea and cake after my retirement in the 500cc race, Rich, Arai, CrossFit IOM, iomttbreaks.com, CPL Print Ltd, Signs2Wraps and all of my sponsors,” added Maria.

[Image: mariac-2.jpg]

A few days after the Classic TT Maria was in Germany for the Glemseck 101 sprint races held on the old Solitude racetrack. It was to be a new and successful experience for the M.B.E, who was competing on three different BMWs. She took second on the BMW Motorrad MotoGP safety BMW S 1000 RR in the Ladies Sprint. Then fourth in the international Sprint on an Edelweiss Motorsport custom BMW RNineT and in the final of her events, on the Sunday, another second place in the BMW RNineT Custom Sprint, racing another custom RNineT this time one from VTR Stucki in Switzerland.

“That’s so much fun, the bikes, the people, the event, it’s all so relaxed and the epitome of fun. I’m addicted and still smiling, I can’t thank the following people enough for making this possible; Jorg and all the Glemseck organisers, BMW Motorrad, Martin, Kosta, Edelweiss Motorsport, VTR Stucki, Karolina, Amelie, Mario & all the team at BMW Germany, Sas & all the amazing spectators.

Now it’s time for Maria to head to the glorious Goodwood Revival meeting, competing for BMW Classic on an original BMW from their Munich museum,a custom built Ferdinand Kazcor 1966/67 2 cylinder boxer BMW race bike. She will team up with Sebastian Gutsch to compete in the Barry Sheene Memorial Trophy, held over two legs at the historic West Sussex circuit.

To follow Maria’s progress, including details of upcoming events, please visit her website www.costelloracing.com

2015 Sponsors:

The European Shoe Machinery Company Ltd, Hol-Taj, BMW Motorrad UK, BMW Motorrad, Wollaston BMW, Rock Oil, Arai, Metzeler, NGK spark plugs, Wilbers/Vmtek Suspension, Jap4Performance, Radicool, EBC Brakes, SignstoWraps, Kawasaki UK Ltd, GBRacing, Hideout Leathers, Premier Bodyworks, Knox, HEL, Racebikebitz/Samco hoses, Daytona boots, Pipercross, APC Wet Paint Ltd, CPL Print, Christian Baker, Trilogy Gyms, Jack Fleckney – CrossFit East Northants, DnG, Sparkes Management Support, Bespoke Injury Management, Signs2Wraps, Progrips, Promach, Skidmarx, The Joseph’s Experience, http://www.tonicwebworks.com, CHI Fire Solutions Ltd, IOMTTBreaks, Snoozebox, Stomp Grip & SKINS.

13-09-2015, 02:19 PM
Website Find Reply