Kev Coghlan Injury Update
Malcolm Offline
Administrator

Threads: 18,390
[Image: kevcoghlanwithyamaha.jpg]

MRS Yamaha team's Kev Coghlan has been discharged from the Universitätsklinikum Jena (Jena University Hospital) the day before yesterday, following two successful surgeries stabilizing the eleventh and twelfth vertebra that were performed on the 3rd and 4th of August.

The Scotsman broke seven thoracic vertebra in an unfortunate crash whilst he was participating in the sixth round of the Superbike*IDM International German Championship as a replacement rider for Team Yamaha MGM. Since the operations he has made good progress and after two weeks was in a stable enough condition to leave the hospital.

The MRS Yamaha team rider has traveled back to Scotland to be with his family and hopes to make his way to Spain in the next few days to begin a physiotherapy program that suits his injury.

He was motivated to ride his Yamaha YZF-R1M in the last two Superstock 1000 FIM Cup races in Jerez (September 20th) and Magney-Cours (October 4th), but his doctors have recommended him not to return to the track too early. A recovery time of six months is expected, however Coghlan aims to return to riding again in two or three months time in preparation for the 2016 season.

Yamaha wishes Coghlan a speedy recovery and hopes to welcome him back soon.

Kev Coghlan

"First of all I would like to thank the medical staff at the Department of Neurosurgery of Jena University Hospital for their caretaking, they have done a very professional job. I would also like to thank the fans and everybody in the racing community for their positive messages over these last few weeks. That said, I'm really glad to be out of the hospital, I'm a lot more comfortable now. I feel like I'm a bit stronger and mobile every day. I'm really looking forward to starting the rehabilitation, to speed things up and recover."

Diaa Al Safatli - Consultant in Neurosurgery, Jena University Hospital 

"The patient Kev Coghlan was discharged from our university hospital the day before yesterday (18.08.15) in a stable general and neurological status after finishing the acute treatment. During his hospital-stay Kev made very good and fast steps of improvement, especially regarding independent mobilization. The results of blood tests before his discharge were within the normal limits and the radiological evaluation showed satisfying results regarding the operated region and no progress of the other stable thoracic vertebrae fractures, which were treated conservatively. The recovery process will likely take about one month and the healing process of the fractures is probably going to last about six months. Within this time Kev has to undergo regular clinical and radiological follow-up."

20-08-2015, 08:56 PM
Website Find Reply