Smith to charge from the second row at MotoGP season finale
Malcolm Offline
Administrator

Threads: 18,390
Smith to charge from the second row at MotoGP season finale
[Image: tech3greenhdr.jpg]

Monster Yamaha Tech3 Team rider Bradley Smith will battle from the second row of the grid after a spirited performance during qualifying today. The young British rider began his day with a run to 4th in FP3 which equalled 5th overall in the combined practice times and saw him pass directly through to qualifying 2. During the vital 15 minute session, Smith leapt into gear and produced a lap time of 1’31.012 that was only half a second from the front row. Tomorrow, he confidently seeks to seize a strong finish in order to clinch the leading satellite honours for the 2015 season.

Meanwhile, Pol Espargaro will kick off the Gran Premio Motul de la Comunitat Valenciana from the third row after a solid effort in qualifying. The Spaniard continued the positive momentum from yesterday by sealing 7th in FP3 and when the qualifying shootout started, he charged forward. Espargaro ultimately completed the session in 8th with a lap time which was a blink of an eye behind his teammate by just 0.068. The 24 year old will now intend to close the season with a notable result by finishing inside the top six in tomorrow’s race.

[Image: Smith-Valencia-2.jpg]

Bradley Smith  - Position : 6th Time : 1'31.012 Laps : 9 

"Obviously, I am very happy with my qualifying position for the last Grand Prix of the year. It was a really great performance by everyone involved and this was highlighted by the fact that we improved one and a half seconds from yesterday. As soon as we got going this morning, I felt much better with the bike and I was able to run consistently. In FP4 we tried three different options for tomorrow’s race so we have a good idea of which direction we need to head towards with the hotter conditions. At this circuit, especially in the morning, the track grip and bike performance is different compared to when we run in the afternoon. Anyway, for qualifying, I’m really happy with what we achieved as to be on the second row is important at such a tight and twisty track like this one. Furthermore, the lap times were close today and for sure, they will also be in tomorrow’s race. So all in all, I am pleased and the result in qualifying sets us up with a great chance to end the season in a positive way.”

Pol Espargaro - Position : 8th - Time : 1'31.080 Laps :8 

"Overall, the result is not so bad, but I can’t hide my disappointment as our potential was much higher than the final grid position. I wasn’t able to put together an ideal lap as I made a few slight mistakes and there was also some traffic. I couldn’t make the most of the opportunity, which is a shame as I was just 0.163 back from 4th, which was definitely within reach today. Nevertheless, our race pace is very promising, even though it won’t be an easy task as it is really challenging to pass here due to the track layout. Still, we worked on the front tyre during FP4 and we have made the choice for the race, so despite the fact that we need a good start, I am still really confident for the last race of the 2015 season."

07-11-2015, 04:59 PM
Website Find Reply