Yamaha Successfully Start Valencia Testing
Malcolm Offline
Administrator

Threads: 18,390
Yamaha Successfully Start Valencia Testing
[Image: yamahamovistarlogo.jpg]

Movistar Yamaha MotoGP riders Jorge Lorenzo and Valentino Rossi were back in action today at Circuit de la Comunitat Valenciana - Ricardo Tormo to get underway with the 2016 preparations and test the Michelin tyres, wrapping the day up in fifth and twelfth place respectively.

Though the 2015 World Championship was decided only two days ago, Movistar Yamaha MotoGP's Jorge Lorenzo and Valentino Rossi returned to Circuit de la Comunitat Valenciana - Ricardo Tormo today to test the 2016 YZR-M1 machines for next year's season.

The Movistar Yamaha MotoGP team made full use of the first day of pre-season testing in Valencia to get to know the Michelin tyres better. Lorenzo and Rossi both went out on 2015 YZR-M1 first so the data derived from this year's bike could be used as a point of reference for when they switched to the 2016 machine later on.

Newly crowned triple MotoGP World Champion Lorenzo was the first of the Movistar Yamaha MotoGP team-mates to enter the track nearly two hours into the session and focused on balancing the bike. Without the pressure to do a time attack, he gradually picked up the pace over a total of 41 laps. His best time of the day was a 1'31.767s for fifth place, 0.216s off the front.

Rossi appeared on the scene not long after Lorenzo and followed the same approach to the session as his team-mate. After getting a feel for the new tyres on the 2015 bike, he moved on to the new edition. His pace steadily quickened towards the end of the day and after completing 57 laps in total, his best efforts of a 1'32.401s put him in twelfth place in today's testing results, 0.850s from the front.

Jorge Lorenzo  - 5th / 1'31.767 / 41 laps

"It is fantastic to ride around as the World Champion. It's an unbelievable feeling, I couldn't be happier. The situation during the whole championship and especially the last race couldn't have been more emotional, but I still have to test the Michelin tyres and I can't relax and enjoy it completely because I need the tension to not make a mistake and crash. We started the test with completely the same bike as the race, just with the Michelin tyres. At the beginning it was difficult to get good lap times, but by changing the setting of the bike little by little, we improved the feeling of the front quite a bit. We didn't solve the problem completely. I now have a feeling that I think everybody has; at the entry of the corner we lose a bit of stability and also when reaching the maximum lean with throttle the front can close suddenly if you push so much. It's the opposite for the rear tyre, it's fantastic! It's unbelievably grippy and it gives you a very good feeling. We need to work a bit more on the front."

[Image: rossivalenciatest.jpg]

Valentino Rossi  - 12th / 1'32.401 / 57 laps

"It's a big change and it will be interesting, especially the tyre will make a big difference for next year. A lot changed, especially the setting, the weight distribution of the bike and everything. It looks like our competitors are a little ahead, because they've made more kilometres with the Michelin, but it's just the first day. I also tried the new electronics and also that, as I expected, was quite a big step because it's like going a little bit into the past. However, that too could be interesting and it's only the first day, we have a lot to work on. The rear tyre is very similar and Michelin is good, it has very good grip. The front is the big difference. We need to understand how much weight this tyre needs to turn at the maximum. We need some more time."

Massimo Meregalli - Movistar Yamaha MotoGP Team Director

"The 2015 season has barely ended, but today we already started our preparations for next year. The riders spent most of the time on the 2015 bikes, adjusting the setting to the Michelin tyres and getting a first impression. So far our riders are quite satisfied with the rear tyre that provides good grip. There is still some work to do to improve the feeling with the front. It was very important to let the riders do a few laps with the 2016 prototype bike before the end of the day. Tomorrow we will continue work where we left off."
11-11-2015, 12:18 PM
Website Find Reply