Southern 100 Clerk of Course Honoured
Malcolm Offline
Administrator

Threads: 18,390
Southern 100 Clerk of Course Honoured
[Image: tubbyaward2.jpg]

Southern 100 Clerk of the Course and Club Chairman Phil Taubman has recently been honoured by one of the leading charities on the Isle of Man.

Having been involved with the racing at Billown, home of the Southern 100 since 1955, firstly assisting with late friend Gordon Clague in setting up the course, eventually joining the Southern Motorcycle Club Committee in 1961, becoming Catering Officer in 1968 and to this day still cooks a good bacon & egg breakfast!.

1970 saw him as Paddock Marshal and in 1975 Phil became Chairman of the Race Committee and in 1978 he was made Clerk of the Course for the Billown Course.

In 1981 Southern 100 Motorcycle Racing Club took over the organising of the July races with Phil retained as Clerk of the Course.

In 2002 Phil was appointed Chairman of Southern 100 Racing a position he still holds today.

At the recent Heroes in the Community 2015 Awards organised and hosted by Manx Radio’s Dream Catcher Charity, Phil Taubman was nominated for the Dedication to Sport Over 18 Award, for 60 years unstinting service to road racing, especially on the Billown Course - although away from the home of ‘the friendly races’ he has been much involved with the Manx Grand Prix and Classic TT as Clerk of the Course and the TT as an Assistant Clerk of Course, Controller and Senior Steward.

Phil received his award from James Quinn of sponsors Quinn Legal to rapturous applause from the near 200 people present celebrating the Island's everyday superstars.

Commenting afterwards Phil said:

‘I was very pleased and delighted to be given a reward for doing something which I love and enjoy and have had pleasure from over the last 60 years.

‘My nomination and award pales into insignificance when I see the other winners overcoming all their adversaries.’

[Image: s100hdr2016.jpg]
19-11-2015, 01:48 PM
Website Find Reply