Stephen Thompson targets race return despite losing arm
Malcolm Offline
Administrator

Threads: 18,390
Stephen Thompson targets race return despite losing arm
[Image: stephenthompsononbike.jpg]

Northern Ireland rider Stephen Thompson has vowed to make a comeback to road racing despite losing an arm after a crash at this year's North West 200.

The Crumlin man, who hopes to have a prosthetic arm fitted in the new year, wants to be back on a bike next August.

"A lot of people maybe don't like it but I want to race again. It's going to be a different way of racing with a prosthetic arm on," said Thompson, 38.

"You get one life and racing is where I enjoy myself, it makes me happy."

Thompson added: "I don't know how competitive I'm going to be be. I'll know from my lap times. I'll practice."
The Antrim man has no memory of the accident in the opening Superstock race which left him critically ill.

Another rider and a spectator were injured in the crash between York Corner and Mill Road Roundabout.

Thompson, who sustained a collapsed lung, bleeding on the brain and multiple fractures, has already undergone 11 operations and faces more surgery.

"I don't know if I've come to terms with losing the arm and I don't like showing it," added Thompson.

"You just want to be fit now and even listening to the racing or watching it eats me up, it pushes me on on to make myself better.

"I'll push myself as far as I can. It's the racer in me - we are all determined and I'll do what it takes."

Thompson has competed on the international road racing circuit for more than a decade and has had a number of top-10 finishes at the Macau Grand Prix including sixth place in 2008.

[Image: bbcsportni.jpg]
08-12-2015, 12:55 PM
Website Find Reply