MGP Entries - 2004
Anonymous
Unregistered

MGP Entries - 2004
I jusy picked up on another ("Official")website, that the ACU is discussing the possibility of insisting the MGP entrants MUST have completed at least FIVE short circuit races, at club level, to be prequalified.

I understand that the TT does not count towards qualification.

This, if it comes off, will eliminate those gallant riders who only enter the MGP or NW200 etc.

What do you think?
27-10-2003, 12:40 PM
Anonymous
Unregistered

Re: MGP Entries - 2004
My opinion : I THINK IT'S A JOKE !!
If the rider has done the previous MGP, they
should be allowed an entry providing their times
met the required qualification. As far as I'm
concerned they are experenced.
27-10-2003, 01:11 PM
Anonymous
Unregistered

I hope that it is only a joke, if not a nice one but a lady called Caroline at the "MGP Office" seems to know something about it all!
27-10-2003, 01:30 PM
Anonymous
Unregistered

we need to pester the ACU regarding our feelings.They are having a meeting with the mgp club on 11th nov to discuss this and other things. ACU please stop medling
27-10-2003, 01:31 PM
Anonymous
Unregistered

I've read this elsewhere and it's interesting to note that this new ruling requires us to compete at 5 club meetings to quailfy for the Manx GP a full season of national road racing is therefore not good enough to quailfy. Must I now wobble round Nutts Corner at 5 club meetings instead of gaining even more real road racing experience in preparation for the Manx.
If anything the ACU should be making a rule to require ACU club riders to do a few real road races before going to the Manx not carparks.
Silly silly people
27-10-2003, 01:54 PM
Anonymous
Unregistered

now is the time to contact the ACU to stop them thinking they can do what they want.How much more money do they think we have. We do not have sponsors etc. stop being a nanny state
27-10-2003, 02:30 PM
Anonymous
Unregistered

Cargo,
I would have thought it means a minimum requiremant of 5 club meetings, the requirement for the TT is a proposed minimum of 5 NATIONAL meetings, therefore, I'm sure a full season of national race meetings would qualify you!!
This is not to say I agree with the whole thing mind you...

27-10-2003, 04:13 PM
Anonymous
Unregistered

Silly people Cargo?!!!!!!!That is very tame coming from you.Come on Ade,let us have some choice words!!!!Time we all voted them out and confined their extravagant lunches to MacDonalds!!
27-10-2003, 06:08 PM
Anonymous
Unregistered

OH FOR THE OLD DAYS! TO RIDE THE TT YOU HAD TO HAVE AN INTERNATIONAL FIM LICENCE ISSUED BY YOUR COUNTRIES GOVERNING BODY,IN THE UK THE ACU,BASED ON A POINTS SYSTEM OF RESULTS AT NATIONAL MEETINGS. FOR THE MANX A NATIONAL LICENCE AND IT WAS UP TO THE ORGANISERS TO DECIDE IF YOU HAD SUFFICIENT EXPERIENCE. I REALLY DONT SEE CLOSED TO CLUB MEETINGS BEING A SUITABLE CRITERIA AS THERE IS A HUGE VARIATION BETWEEN LEVEL OF COMPETITION AT THIS LEVEL
27-10-2003, 08:18 PM
Anonymous
Unregistered

I have a mate who rides in the Manx and Manx only. I have put it to him in the past that why doesn't he do a few meetings before the Manx to get into the swing of things. His answer was that he put a lot of time and effort into his MGP effort and he didn't want it spoiled by some idiot punting him off at Cadwell/Mallory/you name it hairpin. I think he has a point.

27-10-2003, 10:20 PM
Anonymous
Unregistered

Why the secrecy? Is it a rule, a draft rule or a rumor? Sounds like an unmanagable disaster in the making. Perhaps they just leak this stuff to get some feedback reaction. What could be better experience for riding the Manx than to have ridden it before and within the qualifying times.
27-10-2003, 11:53 PM
Anonymous
Unregistered

The point that the ACU seems to have missed here is that, as one posting mentioned, many riders put ALL their energies and resources into the Manx. The Manx is not just another race meeting for most competitors, but an event that makes the year worth while. The only reason I for one, started racing was so that I could race at the Manx, a replica is like The Holy Grail not just another trophy for the cabinet.
It is not always possible to do 5 meetings and the Manx for lots of reasons not only financial but also time off work.
If, and I can only think that the reason is a safety one, then without being to horrible, the Manx loses no more or no less riders per year than the TT, and the ones that are lost aren't always "holiday racers" are they?
As for needing an International FIM Licence for the TT, you still need one, but anyone can have one so long as you have a National Licence, I got one this year having not raced for 3 years.
I also having not raced for 3 years qualified for both 125 and Junior(600)TT events, I'd never ridden a 600 before so qualifying times are a piece of p**s to.
The problem here is that if they do nothing they are slated, and if they make qualifying before and during practice then the grids will reduce to an unacceptable level simply because riders are encouraged away from the roads these days. Years ago riders would do the Manx then the TT and if they did well they would get sponsorship for the season (generally speaking) now the roads are frowned upon a bit don't you think?
Russ

28-10-2003, 12:48 AM
Anonymous
Unregistered

Is this part of an hidden agenda to slowly get rid of road racing. ie make it more difficult to enter then grids go down then say no interest in road racing. Have many of the ACU actually ridden, i wonder, when they can class doing a meeting at three sisters as preperation for bray hill. Maybe there is a case for newcomers to have done 5 that year, but not to use the same rules for somebody who has done it sucessfully before.
28-10-2003, 08:50 AM
Anonymous
Unregistered

So,what are we going to do about it guys&gals?Any suggestions? Sensible ones only please---I know you lot!!Hilary M
28-10-2003, 03:15 PM
Anonymous
Unregistered

firstly do as i have done and e- mail ACU office putting our point of view.secondly send letters to mgp office so they can take them to the meeting on the 11th of nov. We have to make a stance or our beloved manx will slowly be erroded and once again the true amateur in the sport will be pushed out. Have they any clue as to the sacrifices we have make just to get to that meeting never mind another 5.They really are out of touch
28-10-2003, 03:28 PM
Anonymous
Unregistered

Could not agree more with Mr harrison.

I will be a newcomer to the manx in 2004, and have already spent the budget for racing on the bike. I can only afford to compete the manx. There may be an argument for newcomers to complete 5 meetings, but not seasoned vets.(that's veterans not animal doctors)

Do as I have done Please !!!

Write to Jim Parker, At the A.C.U. He is head of Road Racing, and where the buck stops. I spoke with him today, and he seems reasonable, but we need to let him know the strength of feeling.

Peter
28-10-2003, 06:11 PM
Anonymous
Unregistered

just spoke to ACU got the distinct impression that these proposal were going to be put through on the quite. They said they have alot of phone reaction so keep ringing as clearly they need to be kept aware of the level of anger
29-10-2003, 12:25 PM
Anonymous
Unregistered

Or , as some people would say, they're nowt but a bunch of underhanded, two faced, back stabbing ba--ards.
29-10-2003, 07:42 PM
Anonymous
Unregistered

Colin, I've heard you use those words before -- now who was it about . . . . . . ???
29-10-2003, 11:10 PM
Anonymous
Unregistered

Spoke to the A.C.U.

Apparently this is the thin end of the wedge, and they are reviewing the whole licensing system as far as closed roads racing is concerned. You like jumping through hoops ?, looks like there are lots coming.......
30-10-2003, 04:37 PM