TYCO BMW TO FORGE AHEAD WITHOUT GUY MARTIN AT 2016 TT
Malcolm Offline
Administrator

Threads: 18,390
Guy Martin to miss TT2016
[Image: guytomisstt.jpg]

Guy Martin has confirmed he won’t ride at this year’s TT.

In a statement on his Facebook page the Lincolnshire ace confirmed he would instead be undertaking the Tour Divide ultra-mountain bike race in America which starts on Senior Race day.

Martin’s post said:

‘Plenty of folk have been asking what I’m up to this year.

‘I fancy a change of scenery. I’ve been racing the TT for 11 years. All I’ve really done since I was 18, except the trucks, is race motorbikes and my brain needs something else.

‘Every year’s the same: testing, racing, then start again. It brought it home to me when I was lying in hospital after the Ulster Grand Prix crash. I’ve been on about the Tour Divide, the toughest pushbike race in the world, for three years and I thought I’ll blink and next thing I’ll be 45, so I’m going to do it this year.

‘I like breaking myself mentally and the Tour Divide will be tough, but it’s same time at TT, so that’s forced me to make a choice.

‘I’m not done with motorbikes. I’m attempting the Wall of Death record in the spring and having a go at the land speed record in the summer and if I do race on the roads it will be with TAS.

‘After the Tour Divide I might never want to see a pushbike again - or never want to go road racing again, I don’t know. But I do know Bruce Anstey and John McGuinness are still racing the TT, and they’ve got a few years on me, so maybe I’ll come back next year. Or maybe I’ll find something else interesting to do. I’ve got more interests than just motorbikes and I just think let’s bloody have ‘em.

‘Thanks very much as ever for the support.’

[Image: iomtodaynewlogo.jpg]
19-01-2016, 01:29 PM
Website Find Reply
Malcolm Offline
Administrator

TYCO BMW TO FORGE AHEAD WITHOUT GUY MARTIN AT 2016 TT
[Image: guyontasattt.jpg]

Tyco BMW will be without Guy Martin at this year’s Isle of Man TT Races, as he sets his sights on tackling the world’s toughest mountain bike race – the Tour Divide.

The team’s main focus for the International North West 200 in May and the Isle of Man TT in June will be with 11-time TT winner Ian Hutchinson, who was an impressive treble winner on the island in 2015 and is now looking forward to campaigning Tyco BMW S 1000 RR machinery.

Martin has no plans to road race prior to his Tour Divide attempt and the Tyco BMW team is not actively looking to replace the Lincolnshire man at the aforementioned events.

Martin said:

I’m not done with motorbikes and if I race on the roads again this year it will be with the TAS team. The BMW bikes are mega and the team are spot on.”

Tyco BMW is currently preparing an intensive pre-season testing programme for the British Superbike and Superstock team of Michael Laverty, Christian Iddon and reigning Stock 1000 champion Josh Elliott. Ian Hutchinson is also part of those plans where all four riders will get to ride TAS Racing prepared Tyco BMW S 1000 RR machinery in Spain in March, prior to the official BSB tests.

[Image: tycobmwplainlogo.jpg]
19-01-2016, 01:35 PM
Website Find Reply
Malcolm Offline
Administrator

RE: TYCO BMW TO FORGE AHEAD WITHOUT GUY MARTIN AT 2016 TT
[Image: guycomplainsatNW.jpg]
Guy Martin sounds off at last year’s NW200

Time to get out with your faculties intact

When Guy Martin famously 'went off on one', branding the North West 200 boring in a live TV rant when things didn't go his way there in practice last May, I posed the question in my column in this paper: 'Is his heart still in motorcycle road racing?'

I wondered with all the other commitments and distractions in his life, principally his TV and film work, and his bucket list of other extreme events to tackle, should he really be racing at all if he wasn't fully focussed?

Unlike the vast majority of guys he was racing against at the North West, Guy isn't worried about where the next pound is coming from. It looked to me that racing was no longer the be all and end all to him and, as I know more than most, that's the time to get out with your faculties intact.

Guy's confirmation that he will not compete at the North West or TT this year did not shut the door completely on a return to the roads at some stage.

But it shows there is doubt in his mind and road racing is much too tough and dangerous a sport to go out even 0.1 per cent less than mentally right. That's asking for trouble.

Guy is a fantastic rider and an extremely likeable bloke who has raised the profile of motorcycle road racing through his quirky personality. People love him and the camera loves him which is why his TV programmes have been so successful... just by being himself.

There's also a steely determination to conquer every challenge he undertakes which is probably why he has been reluctant to close the book on road racing completely without the elusive TT and North West wins he so desperately wants.

There was a clue to his thinking when he rode so hard at the TT last year but Bruce Anstey, John McGuinness and Ian Hutchinson were just that little bit better and maybe Guy realises that's the way it is going to stay.

Another complication is his contractual obligation to the television companies. Will they accept costly programming having to be shelved if Guy is injured as happened at the Ulster Grand Prix last year?

Guy has nothing to prove to anyone but himself and maybe he has indeed realised that he can get his thrills at a much safer, and better paid, level.

For Guy, that will come from his TV and film work and events like the American cycle race he is going to tackle. For me now, it is the cut and thrust of business.

You can never say never - look at Ryan Farquhar's big comeback - but I'm more firmly convinced now than I was last May that, like most all action TV heroes, Guy is riding off into the sunset.

North West 200 and TT legend Philip McCallen now operates a Belfast motorcyle dealership

[Image: belfast-telegraphlogo.gif]
Philip McCallen
20-01-2016, 11:53 AM
Website Find Reply