Derek Sheils in Cookstown/BE Racing Superbike deal
Malcolm Offline
Administrator

Threads: 18,390
Derek Sheils in Cookstown/BE Racing Superbike deal
[Image: dereksheils.jpg]

Dublin’s Derek Sheils has joined the Cookstown/Burrows Engineering team alongside exciting young prospect Malachi Mitchell-Thomas for 2016.

The multiple Irish road racing champion will ride an ex-TAS Suzuki GSX-R1000 Superbike for former racer-turned-team-owner John Burrows in a strong line-up for the Dungannon-based outfit.

Sheils challenged William Dunlop for the Irish National Superbike crown last year, losing the championship by only six points after a string of impressive rides, including three championship wins at Skerries, Walderstown and Faugheen.

“I missed the Irish Superbike races at Kells and Tandragee last year and that cost me the title,” said Sheils, who was the 2013 Superbike champion.

“William pipped me by just six points. I won the races at Skerries, Walderstown and Faugheen and also beat William at Cookstown and Killalane, but the two non-starts left me with just too much to do.

“I’ll be aiming to win the title for myself and Cookstown/Burrows Engineering Racing in 2016,”

added Sheils, who secured the Mondello Masters title for the second time last year after winning 11 of the 14 races held throughout the series.

“Once I get familiar with the big Suzuki I’ll be hoping to pick up race wins. I’m very happy to be joining such a professional team, the crew are all sound lads and I’ve known John for almost 15 years.

“I spoke to him about joining his team in previous years but it didn’t happen until now.

“I’m more than happy with the deal and it gives me a great bike and back-up team, so thanks to John as well as all my personal sponsors and supporters.”

Team boss Burrows is optimistic Sheils can deliver a second Irish National Superbike title for his team after Manx rider Dan Kneen clinched the championship in 2014.

“I’m delighted to welcome Derek to the Cookstown/Burrows Engineering Racing team. Derek is a proven race and title winner and I’m hoping he can challenge for the Irish Superbike title we won in 2014,” he said.

“I’ve known Derek since 2002 when we did battle for the Irish Clubmans Senior crown, so I know all about his qualities and ability.”

Sheils’ addition to the team provides Burrows with a mix of youth and experience as the Irishman joins new-signing Mitchell-Thomas.

The 20-year-old from Bolton agreed terms with the Cookstown/BE Racing Team in November and will ride a full stable of bikes, including Supersport, Superstock and Supertwin machinery plus a 125GP Honda.

Ballyclare’s Jamie Hamilton, who was seriously injured in a crash at the Isle of Man TT last year on Burrows’ Suzuki, will remain involved with the team this season as he continues to battle his way back to fitness.

“Jamie will be involved with the team full-time this year as his recovery from injury continues,” Burrows said.

“His track knowledge and his knowledge of the machinery will be invaluable to Malachi.”

Burrows is also set to confirm exciting plans regarding a third rider due to ride for the team in the Supertwin class at the North West 200 and TT, with an announcement expected in the coming weeks.

A fundraiser for Sheils will be held in the Green Isle Hotel, Clondalkin, Dublin on February 19 (8pm.) Everyone welcome.

[Image: newletterlogo.jpg]

Kyle White
27-01-2016, 03:34 PM
Website Find Reply